IGNORED

HELP! Not a mechanic and It's not running

:sick:Ok, Last wednesday, I was riding to work. Got stranded 5 miles from work.

I ride an 86 VR. So far I have had help in quite a bit of electrical.

I have, added the Odyssey Dry cell battery, Cleaned all contacts, Run Sea Foam and changed spark plugs, clipped a quarter inch off the spark plug wires. Everything tells me it should be running.

Full tank of premium, at prices that hurt!, I was riding down the road about 35 mph, in 4th gear. The bike started acting like it was losing power. The just stopped like I had turned the key.

When I try to restart, it will run pitifully only with the choke on, when I try to give it throttle, it dies. I have checked spark on all coils, they are hitting strong.

HELP, any ideas? I really do NOT want to take it to a service shop. I don't have that kind of money.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you all for the help in the past.

Ohedron42

Merlin

Westminster, CO

Takw your kill switch apart and clean it if that does not help then the TCI is what I would suspect being the problem.We have a Canadian member here that rebuilds them for a reasonable fee or check the motorcycle salvage yards I will check with my dealer tuesday to see if they are available aftermarket if you want.

Jeff

Jeff is a much better mechanic than me or most on this site, and I agree that it sounds much like the TCI. I don't think it is the kill switch though, since you said it will run, but very poorly. Jeff, could the kill switch still be the problem?

Jim

There are a couple of TCI's on ebay right now, search keywords "Yamaha Venture Parts". But if you've got strong spark, how about fuel flow,ie: plugged up fuel filter, screen on tank plugged up, fuel pump on the verge of done. Pull the false tank cover off, locate the fuel line coming up from the tank to the carb rack, remove it and put in a clear glass jar. Turn on the key and you should get a good stream out of the hose. Don't leave it on too long, though, you don't want to overflow your jar! This will eliminate the fuel supply, or find it quicker.

Dan

If it runs with the choker on, what about the fuel pump. Is it coming on? Has the fuel filter been changed?

That's where I would start. Then I would check the charging system. If it's not charging properly, it will run till the battery gets dead enough. JMHO.

could the kill switch still be the problem?

Jim

If the tci is getting an intermittant signal from the kill switch it will not let it run properly so yes the switch is a possible problem.Water is also another possible problem that would only let the bike run with the choke on.

Jeff

I too would look into the fuel system as it runs so your getting spark. Perhaps the fuel filter is plugging up and starving it for fuel, also check your petcock and make sure it's on the reserve setting, it's located at the lower right hand portion of the bike just at the bottom of the side cover. Keep us updated on your progress and we'll get it figured out.

OK! I have several places to start!! thank you very much. I am printing them ALL out and going to check them out one by one. I am going to start at the top and work my way down.

I do Have one last question. IS there an easy way to get the fuel filter off? It looks like one has to remove the rear wheel to get to the screw. There's got to be a better way than I am seeing.

Thanks, ALL

Ohedron42

Merlin

I do Have one last question. IS there an easy way to get the fuel filter off? It looks like one has to remove the rear wheel to get to the screw. There's got to be a better way than I am seeing.

Thanks, ALL

Ohedron42

Merlin

Turn off fuel at valve, unbolt the fuel pump mount, move it out of the way (dangling to create an opening). There is a screw holding the filter mount to the tank, above the filter inlet hose. Remove hose from filter inlet, remove screw & pull out filter & mount, for filter replacement. Install in reverse order.

Thank you Very much Rocket. I knew there had to be an easier way!!!

You Guys ROCK!!!

Thanks.

Hopefully, with all the suggestions, I may be up and running in the next few days!!!!!

Ohedron42

Merlin

How did you check the spark? Did you pull the plugs or just the wires to check the spark? The reason I ask is that you mentioned you ran seafoam thru, and that could have loosened a lot of gunk from the carbs, valves, etc and fouled out the plugs. You may want to consider a new set of plugs, even if yours are fairly new. Hey, it never hurts to have a spare set around if you find there is nothing wrong with your curwnt plugs...

When I try to restart, it will run pitifully only with the choke on, when I try to give it throttle, it dies. I have checked spark on all coils, they are hitting strong.

HELP, any ideas? I really do NOT want to take it to a service shop. I don't have that kind of money. Any help will be appreciated.

Ohedron42

Merlin

Westminster, CO

Sounds like you've plugged up your jets on in the carb with crud. They need to be cleaned. And clean out the tank as well, or it'll happen again. Don't ask me how I know that......:whistling:

As for the spark plug/ spark check, I check them with a "spark tester", a little light you put between your wire and plug that lights up when you crank. AFTER I ran the sea foam I replaced the old plugs with new.

As for the GUNK thing, condor, I have drained my tank and found that I have about a teaspoon of RUST in the bottom of my tank. (I changed the fuel filter today as well, nothing run through it yet.)

BEFORE I drained the tank, replaced the fuel filter, I had the bike Idling to see if the "kill switch" clean cured my problem.

A. It didn't. It runs but with the petcock at the regular "run" position, it still dies out.

B. The rust. Question, WITHOUT disassembeling the entire back half of the bike, is there a way to remove the tank easily?

C. Now that I know there is rust in the tank, YES Condor, I believe my carbs are messed up too. Question, is there an easy way to remove them without having to, again, disassemble the entire front end?

Everything else that has been suggested has checked out and or been cleaned or changed. I am thinking this is my root problem.

PS. Curiosity question - at low RPM my tach will not register. Once I get to about 1800 or 2000 it starts registering. Any suggestions?

Again, Thank you for letting me pick your brains. I DO deeply appreciate it. I cannot wait to be riding all summer. That is my plan. Come rain or shine. Bikes rule!!

You already know the answer to B. It's never easy when you gotta do something like that. But, you should only have to remove the rear subframe, which is not that much. Did you try and pull off the fuel hose and check pump output?

Might as well pull the carbs and do them too. You only have to remove the lower fairings to remove them, not too bad.

Just think, you can be an expert (or smart***) like us after you get this done! Then it's one less thing to worry about.

On the tach? Might be tied into the charging situation.

Good luck,

Dan

A. It didn't. It runs but with the petcock at the regular "run" position, it still dies out.

B. The rust. Question, WITHOUT disassembeling the entire back half of the bike, is there a way to remove the tank easily?

C. Now that I know there is rust in the tank, YES Condor, I believe my carbs are messed up too. Question, is there an easy way to remove them without having to, again, disassemble the entire front end?

PS. Curiosity question - at low RPM my tach will not register. Once I get to about 1800 or 2000 it starts registering. Any suggestions?

Again, Thank you for letting me pick your brains. I DO deeply appreciate it. I cannot wait to be riding all summer. That is my plan. Come rain or shine. Bikes rule!!

I'd look around and find someone with one of those fiber optic inspection cameras to take a look at the bottom of the tank, and I've never removed one, but I think there has been a few posts to that regard. The carbs can be removed by taking off the side covers, middle cover, and air cleaner. They will come out the left side without detaching the throttle linkage. After they're out you can deal with the linkage. It's not a time consuming job. The tach issue?? If I remember correctly the pulse is triggered the #2 cylinder firing. I know that's not an answer, but it could be a place to start if #2 isn't firing at low RPM. It's also interesting the the tach kicks in above 2000rpm...the same RPM the stator starts charging??? Coincidence?? And maybe your tach needle is sticking??? Just some thoughts.

I was just able to get the petcock out. First, is your hard to turn? Mine is. REALLY hard. I have to use pliers.

ANYWAY, There are two filters on the petcock. A short one and a tall one. Do these come off and can I get replacements? My short one is torn off on BOTH sides of the little plastic strip holding the "filter" in place.

I looked at the OLD filter and it is about 3/4 FULL of rust. As for the fuel put output, make durn sure you got that hose in something!!! mine shot about 5 feet away from the bike. I have no idea how many pounds of pressure that is, but IT WORKS! LOL

I am thinking that with all the gunk in this this, that may be why I am only getting about 30 mpg. also it may be why not all of my cylinders are firirng properly.

Now, are the carbs like an automoblie carb? do I need to go get a rebuild kit?

Thanks guys. As for being a genius or (smart***) I think I still have a LONG way to go!!!

But in a line from the movies "May the force be with you" all I can say is "MAY THE RIDE BE WITH YOU"

have you checked your tci ? have you cleaned the 2 white plugs going in to the tci ? when i started losing my tci i had the same problem with the tach . the no2 cyl. runs the tach and the fuel pump relay .start the engine let run for a min. than check if you are getting good fuel pressure , by just turning on the key to check the fuel pump only checks the fuel pump not the running circet . have you got the bike wet in the last few days ? washing ? riding in the rain ? also do all of your headers get hot ? that is a way to tell what cyl. is not running .

thom

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got the gas tank cleaned out. There was about 2 tablespoons of rust floating around in there. The Petcock filters were torn so rust was getting into the fuel filter. The fuel filter was CAKED with rust. Changed BOTH petcock and fuel filter.

Took out the TCI and dried it out. Tried the "Bake the TCI" fix. Then resoldered the 14 connections.

Cleaned out the carb. Found rust flakes in there too. After I got everything back together, took a few cranks and she fired right up.

Next, I am going to remove and clean my spark plugs again.

Now, when she runs, I am still getting a few back fires. I am thinking it may be from all of the cleaners and solvents. Also, when I cleaned out the tank I used white gas.

I am not going to worry just yet, I want to run a tank or two through it before I start worrying again.

I want to thank EVERYONE, for the help they gave me. I deeply appreciate it. I am also learning more about my bike than I had thought.

Thanks guys!!!

Merlin in Westminster, CO:2133::2133::happy34:

I want to thank EVERYONE, for the help they gave me. I deeply appreciate it. I am also learning more about my bike than I had thought.

Thanks guys!!!

Merlin in Westminster, CO:2133::2133::happy34:

Good to hear about your progress. It is satisfying, to be able to take care of maintenance issues ,yourself. Better watch it, or you will learn much more...... Remember, winter is the preferred tinkering time, as it usually doesn't affect riding time........

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks Rocket, I would have LOVED to do all this last winter, however, I just got the bike.

NOW, I got it back together, IT DOES RUN.

However, I have the right side backfiring on me. Its only ONE cylander. So I get blub, blub, blub, POP! blub blub blub POP!

Could this be I got the coil wires reversed? Hooked the back YELLOW coil wire to the front and front to back?

Anyone Have any ideas? Other than that it runs good. IF I can get this fixed, It will be a completely different machine than what I bought.

Thank you in advance.

Merlin:think::think::think::think:

I am also learning more about my bike than I had thought.

Are we entering that "smart" area yet??????

Congrats on getting through it, I have my bike completely tore down, am putting it back together now. Never done it before, but you only learn by trying!!!!!

Dan