IGNORED

Puc and Tips: Fun With Guns thread! Sharing ours and hopefully you will share yours!

cowpuc

NICE tufftom4,, REALLY REALLY NICE!!!

We are still in frost bite land here on Michigan's West Coast and I am still building on the AR15.. This FINALLY came in today!! I did manage to get my new trigger installed into the lower receiver just before this arrived. I am really excited to get it on a bench rest and see how the 22lr's work thru it. I have a brick of Aquilla's, a brick of Mini Mags and a couple hundred CCI Velocitor's coming for it but it would be AWESOME if it would run on those cheapy Thunderbolts like I run thru my MK1 - I got a few thousand of those things laying around.

You ever check out "Ammoseek.com"? It's an AWESOME ammo buying search engine, VERY POWERFUL!! Here,, here's a link:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

I buy a lot of ammo off there as well as off following Gunbroker.. I just landed a thousand rounds of 556 green tip (military spec penatrators) military over runs (brand new, brass casings and 62 grain) for 200 bucks = 20 cents a round..

I got it from the same seller that I picked up the 200 grain FN's I been running in my 1911..

Nothing like talking guns on a sub zero windchill COLD winter night :thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115460https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115461https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115462https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115463https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115464https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115465

Just remember to remove it when done shooting 22lr. At least that is what I've been told. Enjoy the h3!! out of it.:banana::cool10::usa:

:farmer:

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just remember to remove it when done shooting 22lr. At least that is what I've been told. Enjoy the h3!! out of it.:banana::cool10::usa:

Actually, the way the 22lr Bolt Carrier Group is built, it does not allow for leaving anything in the chamber when you remove it to drop in the 556 BCG. It has what appears to be a perfectly machined stainless 556 "cartrige" permenantly attached to the end of the BCG so it all comes out as one unit.

As mentioned in my latest P.M. about ammo seeker Sly, we actually got some shooting in today. I still have not received my test ammo for the 556/223 rounds (I ordered a big variety of everything from steel cheapy stuff to higher end ammo to shoot for group. Hoping it finds accuracy on the cheap steel stuff but one never knows - I HAVE NO INTENT ON GETTING BACK INTO RELOADING) but we did get to run some cheap Thunderbolt lead bullets (definitely no more than 1150 ft ps - 2 cents a round) thru it and all is AWESOME as far as function! Now I am going hunting for a drum feed for it to match my dual feed 100 round mag I have for the 556. Hopefully I can find one cause stuffing 22 shells into these 25 round mags that came with the conversion is already getting old. Thankfully my Tippy is always willing to help!! She is quite the lady!!

By the way,, we found 90 packs of Clay Pigeons at Walmart for 6 bucks a box, grabbed 3 boxes of those. Getting ready for the WARM spring weather to hit as soon as that FlyinFool gets tired of being a pest :happy34:.

Actually, the way the 22lr Bolt Carrier Group is built, it does not allow for leaving anything in the chamber when you remove it to drop in the 556 BCG. It has what appears to be a perfectly machined stainless 556 "cartrige" permenantly attached to the end of the BCG so it all comes out as one unit.

As mentioned in my latest P.M. about ammo seeker Sly, we actually got some shooting in today. I still have not received my test ammo for the 556/223 rounds (I ordered a big variety of everything from steel cheapy stuff to higher end ammo to shoot for group. Hoping it finds accuracy on the cheap steel stuff but one never knows - I HAVE NO INTENT ON GETTING BACK INTO RELOADING) but we did get to run some cheap Thunderbolt lead bullets (definitely no more than 1150 ft ps - 2 cents a round) thru it and all is AWESOME as far as function! Now I am going hunting for a drum feed for it to match my dual feed 100 round mag I have for the 556. Hopefully I can find one cause stuffing 22 shells into these 25 round mags that came with the conversion is already getting old. Thankfully my Tippy is always willing to help!! She is quite the lady!!

By the way,, we found 90 packs of Clay Pigeons at Walmart for 6 bucks a box, grabbed 3 boxes of those. Getting ready for the WARM spring weather to hit as soon as that FlyinFool gets tired of being a pest :happy34:.

Fool will be down in the basement mining. No worries.:think:

Actually, the way the 22lr Bolt Carrier Group is built, it does not allow for leaving anything in the chamber when you remove it to drop in the 556 BCG. It has what appears to be a perfectly machined stainless 556 "cartrige" permenantly attached to the end of the BCG so it all comes out as one unit. As mentioned in my latest P.M. about ammo seeker Sly, we actually got some shooting in today. I still have not received my test ammo for the 556/223 rounds (I ordered a big variety of everything from steel cheapy stuff to higher end ammo to shoot for group. Hoping it finds accuracy on the cheap steel stuff but one never knows - I HAVE NO INTENT ON GETTING BACK INTO RELOADING) but we did get to run some cheap Thunderbolt lead bullets (definitely no more than 1150 ft ps - 2 cents a round) thru it and all is AWESOME as far as function! Now I am going hunting for a drum feed for it to match my dual feed 100 round mag I have for the 556. Hopefully I can find one cause stuffing 22 shells into these 25 round mags that came with the conversion is already getting old. Thankfully my Tippy is always willing to help!! She is quite the lady!! By the way,, we found 90 packs of Clay Pigeons at Walmart for 6 bucks a box, grabbed 3 boxes of those. Getting ready for the WARM spring weather to hit as soon as that FlyinFool gets tired of being a pest :happy34:.
Fool will be down in the basement mining. No worries.:think: :farmer:

I never run out of PEST!!!.....:snow2::snow::snow2::snow::snow2:

I never run out of PEST!!!.....:snow2::snow::snow2::snow::snow2:

Got that right,,, I was just outside and,,, HERE WE GO AGAIN = MORE WISCONSIN WHITE WASH FALLIN AS I TYPE!!:doh:

According to that lop eared hamster Pucstiyawny Phil varmint,, we got that Fool on the run .. Pretty soon him and and his pal Frosty will be nothing but a distant melted memory as we play along the Lake Shore shooting our shooters and ridin our scooters :cool10:.

Speaking of that,, am I the only one who has practiced that old cowboy routine of shootin from the saddle?? Used to lay clay pigeons in the field (we lived in the sticks with 5000 acres of State Land = also my property from my perspective) and shoot at em with my handgun while in motion :guitarist 2:

Life is grand,, get out and grab a handful of it!!!:happy34:

Got that right,,, I was just outside and,,, HERE WE GO AGAIN = MORE WISCONSIN WHITE WASH FALLIN AS I TYPE!!:doh:

According to that lop eared hamster Pucstiyawny Phil varmint,, we got that Fool on the run .. Pretty soon him and and his pal Frosty will be nothing but a distant melted memory as we play along the Lake Shore shooting our shooters and ridin our scooters :cool10:.

Speaking of that,, am I the only one who has practiced that old cowboy routine of shootin from the saddle?? Used to lay clay pigeons in the field (we lived in the sticks with 5000 acres of State Land = also my property from my perspective) and shoot at em with my handgun while in motion :guitarist 2:

Life is grand,, get out and grab a handful of it!!!:happy34:

Oh you think you are special huh?:cool10::banana: I used to ride my horse (back in Nebraska) and shoot ballons. :witch_brew: Used my Ruger single six and had a ball. Still have the Ruger.:usa:

Oh you think you are special huh?:cool10::banana: I used to ride my horse (back in Nebraska) and shoot ballons. :witch_brew: Used my Ruger single six and had a ball. Still have the Ruger.:usa:

Now we're talkin REAL Cowboy stuff Sly:thumbsup:!! Having never been much of a horse ridin varmint (my sisters had em though and played with em some, personally I always liked my dirtbikes cause I didnt have to feed em or shovel their poop) I have a question concerning the matter that I have always wondered about.. Dont horses get a skidderish when you touch off a round between the ears on those lop eared varmints :Bunny2:? :hurts:

NICE tufftom4,, REALLY REALLY NICE!!!

We are still in frost bite land here on Michigan's West Coast and I am still building on the AR15.. This FINALLY came in today!! I did manage to get my new trigger installed into the lower receiver just before this arrived. I am really excited to get it on a bench rest and see how the 22lr's work thru it. I have a brick of Aquilla's, a brick of Mini Mags and a couple hundred CCI Velocitor's coming for it but it would be AWESOME if it would run on those cheapy Thunderbolts like I run thru my MK1 - I got a few thousand of those things laying around.

You ever check out "Ammoseek.com"? It's an AWESOME ammo buying search engine, VERY POWERFUL!! Here,, here's a link:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

I buy a lot of ammo off there as well as off following Gunbroker.. I just landed a thousand rounds of 556 green tip (military spec penatrators) military over runs (brand new, brass casings and 62 grain) for 200 bucks = 20 cents a round..

I got it from the same seller that I picked up the 200 grain FN's I been running in my 1911..

:rant:I used to use Ammoseek all the time, but once again the Kalgov has done it to us, and screwed up buying ammo out of state. It can be done legally by anyone having an FFL3/COE, but just about all out of state ammo dealers don't want to mess with the shipping into Kommiefornia for anyone. All ammo purchases need to by registered with a licensed ammo dealer. What I can't figure out is why they just don't ship it and let the receiver worry about it being legal or not??? Since when do kommiefornia laws need to be obeyed by someone that lives in another state?? The law does absolutely nothing to help with illegal gun control, but it sure does harass honest legal gun owners. :soapbox: Any non Kommiefornian consider yourself lucky... :rant: Sorry Puc but this whole gun issue get's me a little riled... :bang head:

Now we're talkin REAL Cowboy stuff Sly:thumbsup:!! Having never been much of a horse ridin varmint (my sisters had em though and played with em some, personally I always liked my dirtbikes cause I didnt have to feed em or shovel their poop) I have a question concerning the matter that I have always wondered about.. Dont horses get a skidderish when you touch off a round between the ears on those lop eared varmints :Bunny2:? :hurts:

Not any different than breaking a dog to the gun. Start them young and use a starter gun. They get accustomed real quick. I would do the shot when brushing or feeding or whenever.

:rant:I used to use Ammoseek all the time, but once again the Kalgov has done it to us, and screwed up buying ammo out of state. It can be done legally by anyone having an FFL3/COE, but just about all out of state ammo dealers don't want to mess with the shipping into Kommiefornia for anyone. All ammo purchases need to by registered with a licensed ammo dealer. What I can't figure out is why they just don't ship it and let the receiver worry about it being legal or not??? Since when do kommiefornia laws need to be obeyed by someone that lives in another state?? The law does absolutely nothing to help with illegal gun control, but it sure does harass honest legal gun owners. :soapbox: Any non Kommiefornian consider yourself lucky... :rant: Sorry Puc but this whole gun issue get's me a little riled... :bang head:

I hear you! Try living up here where anyone who wants to enjoy anything more than a BB is viewed by the majority of the populace as some kind of redneck, fascist, racist, xenophobic, bigot! (But I'm OK with that! LOL) On the news the other night some kid had been messing with his BB & nearly did the old "put your eye out with that trick" He was fine, just a small mark, it was close to his eye. a lot of fuss about nothing.

How did the media report it? Young boy injured while playing with an assault style BB gun! Say What??????

Thay just love it when they can add that "assault" tag makes it sound so much worse than it may be.

Sunday I am going to the range with a friend to sight in the lasers and fire the Judge for the first time I have a 45 acp,40 S&W,9mm and the Judge that I have .410 and 45 colt to try in it.

I like the 3" 000 buck for defensive round. I have a 4" Bond Arms derringer with ported barrels.

Well that really stinks:mad:.. I always thought Ammo was pretty much the untouchable part of the 2nd Amendment out there on the West Coast, guess I was wrong.. No wonder my Son-In-Law out in Sac got all :240: and gave me the :thumbdown:when I mentioned picking up a few hundred rounds of ammo giving it to him for his birthday :mugshot:... Dont sound good there brother..

Speaking about shootin, Tip and I JUST got in from doing some shooting. She done popped her very first clay pigeon EVER.. Really really proud of her as it was the very FIRST pigeon I tossed!! She done did FINE!! These modern day fiber optic light gathering front sites are MARVELOUS for a person like her who has worn glasses all her life.. That women is AMAZING!!!!

Not any different than breaking a dog to the gun. Start them young and use a starter gun. They get accustomed real quick. I would do the shot when brushing or feeding or whenever.

Nothing different septin your on that lop eared varmints back when he decides to head for the highlands at warp speed, like a gun shy rabbit dog on steroids :hihi::yikes:

Seriously though Sly,, never looked at it from that perspective,, and I owned and operated MANY rabbit and bird dogs thru the years.. Thru the several really good hounds I had and the few bird dogs that chased up Patridge and Pheasants for me I never did end up with one that was gun shy = seeing your point here,, I am sure horses would be along the same line.. Not to change the subject but I still am VERY careful around horses when crossing their paths while biking. Many years ago as a kid I startled one once when coming over hill top in the woods. The rider almost got tossed. Ever since that time, when out on my dirt bike working up a sweat on our State Lands = if I came across people on horses I would nail the kill button and coast past em with lots of room between us.. That is a LOT of animal to startle.

Every pup I ever got was gun shy at first, It does not take long at all to make them LOVE the sound of a gun going off. They figure out real quick that bang means a mouthful of fur or feathers and to then there aint nuttin better.

Taint nuthin cuter then a Tri-Colored Beagle Pup I tell ya.. Right there with you Jeff,,,,,, :scratchchin: wish I could say the same thing about not having had a couple deer runners though,,, man I hated that...

Well that really stinks:mad:.. I always thought Ammo was pretty much the untouchable part of the 2nd Amendment out there on the West Coast, guess I was wrong.. No wonder my Son-In-Law out in Sac got all :240: and gave me the :thumbdown:when I mentioned picking up a few hundred rounds of ammo giving it to him for his birthday :mugshot:... Dont sound good there brother..

Speaking about shootin, Tip and I JUST got in from doing some shooting. She done popped her very first clay pigeon EVER.. Really really proud of her as it was the very FIRST pigeon I tossed!! She done did FINE!! These modern day fiber optic light gathering front sites are MARVELOUS for a person like her who has worn glasses all her life.. That women is AMAZING!!!!

Good for her... :thumbsup2: I've been wearing glasses ever since hi school and the last clay I busted was 1973... right after registering 4,999 PITA and ATA targets for the year... That was 46 years ago... :backinmyday: GULP!!

Good for her... :thumbsup2: I've been wearing glasses ever since hi school and the last clay I busted was 1973... right after registering 4,999 PITA and ATA targets for the year... That was 46 years ago... :backinmyday: GULP!!

Yep,, gotta agree with ya brother,, them years pass us by like a teeny little motored 74 inch Mk1 1st Gen Yamaha Venture passin an 80 inch 2nd Gen or a 113 inch 3rd Gen and, like watching those much slower scoots disappear in the mirrors,, those days have long disappeared in the rear view mirrors of life... Them was great days though my good friend!! :Cartoon_397:

@videoarizona (and any other lop eared shootin varmints who may be following this thread), my AR build is coming along nicely. Still waiting on a couple things to finish er off (bipod, sling and such) but one cant rush a build. Until today I had not received my "test" ammo so the only thing fired thru it has been some cheap 22lr Ammo (just HAD to test the CMMG drop in 22lr Bolt Carrier Group).

As shown in the pic's, the Cantalever scope mount (with built in bubble level - spared no expense - that mount costed my 8 whole dollars off Ebay :beer:) came in yesterday and WOWZY WOW WOW,, very impressive IMHO.

The UPS guy dropped off my test Ammo this morning so now all I am waiting on to go out and bench it is for @Flyinfool to aim those nasty nozzles back to the west to help fill those resevoirs in California. We got 5 more inches of fresh Wisconsin White Wash last night so instead of playing with my shooter,, I gotta go see if Johnny wants to play in the powder..

Any body wanna take a shot on which, if any, of this ammo will prove accurate? I did win an auction auction recently on Gunbroker for 1k of new 62 grain military spec (ss109 penetrator) for 19 cents a round (CHEAP) that will also be competing in the shoot out but it will be a while before it gets here. My AR's barrel is 16 inch, Wylde chambered with 1:7 twist (figured if it was good enough for our :usa:military shooters that twist rate is good enough for my play).

Life in the freezin :cold::snow::cold:fast lane ..

Puc

DSCN8026.JPGDSCN8027.JPGDSCN8025.JPGDSCN8028.JPGDSCN8037.JPGDSCN8036.JPGDSCN8035.JPGDSCN8034.JPGDSCN8033.JPGDSCN8032.JPGDSCN8031.JPGDSCN8030.JPGDSCN8029.JPG

Dig this,, I emailed CMMG (the manufacturer of my conversion kit) today to see if their was any form of a warranty on the BCG and if so, did I need to register my purchase with them.. REALLY REALLY AWESOME - MADE IN THE U.S.A. COMPANY!! Response back was EVERYTHING,, including the 3 magazine are 100% fully lifetime warrantied. Thats what I am talking about!!!:thumbsup:

Well, I'm not quite sure how to answer the " which ammo will be most accurate " question. Perhaps I could relate an anecdotal story to illustrate the probable answer. I got a Remington 700 SPS in .223, installed a match trigger group, threw away the junk stock and installed the receiver into an Accuracy International chassis with bipod, added an $850 Vortex Viper 8X24 FFP scope and got some walmart ammo and went out to roughly sight it in. It shot 6 inch groups at 75 yards, lol. Went and got the good stuff, Hornady varmint at over twice the price per round and shot a 1/2 inch group without really trying. You absolutely get what you pay for in ammo. Another story is I used to shoot .22lr with my friends. We set up clay pigeons at 209 yards and took turns. You had to pick one, take your shot. Hit or miss it was the next guys turn. When they were all gone, hi score "won". I got tired of loosing with my $75 22 and went and got a CZ 455 and skipped the bulk ammo in a bucket and got Eley Target ammo at $5.75 per 50 rounds. ( The really good Eley Tenex costs $1 per round. A high price for .22lr !!! ) My hit rate went from 35% to over 95%. If you want to play the accuracy game, for real, you cannot skimp on the ammo. If you must get by on the cheap, you're going to have to reload. There is no other option. Another point is that 1:7 twist rates are for heavy bullets. If you try a sub 55 grain bullet with a hot charge, you may explode the bullet with centrifugal force. Those little guys are spinning in excess of 100,000 rpm. There's a lot to accuracy. AR-15 twist rates go from 1:10 to 1:7. Each twist rate is optimal for a bullet weight. The 1:9 is the " middle of the road " barrel. I'm no expert by any means, but the 1:7 barrels should do better with a minimum of 62 grain bullets and should easily stabilize 68 grain fodder. Lightly loaded 55 grain ammo, with low velocity, might not be over stabilized in the 1:7 but it will not provide best accuracy. Cheap Russian ammo is, frankly, junk. Good for making noise but not much else. Believe me when I tell you this: There is no way to get real accuracy out of cheap ammo. There is nothing you can do to your gun, no trick part you can buy, that will make cheap ammo shoot well. It's garbage in, garbage out. There are AR-15's out there that will deliver nice quarter size groups at 100 yards every single time. They ain't shootin Tula and that's a fact. Don't misunderstand me. I love a big pile of hot brass. There's nothing like roaring through a belt of ammo at a shoot. Quantity has a quality all it's own they say. It is fun in a different sort of way. The green box Remington probably will be most accurate. It has my vote.

Puc I will have to agree with what Tom said about the accuracy of the cheap ammo. If you want accuracy go with the good stuff. Now I can see your part in the cheap ammo also. I don't think you are out to have a tack driver with every shot but to have fun with your gun.

I TOO AGREE 100% with @Vickersguy too but dad burn it ya lop eared @slowrollwv varmint Roller,,, ya know me to well.. You got me brother.. Fact is, my tack driving days are longgg gone by.. I know from experience that nothing is gonna shoot like reloading for precision would and I had my fill of that time consuming hobby. I do still enjoy the fun of testing ammo just to sort it out, find a decent inexpensive round that will allow Tip and I that will scare leaf's on the ground in the swampy water covered State Land we shoot over out to 1000 yards or so,, just for kicks..

Also entering into this contest is going to be 1000 rounds of this:https://fedarm.com/product/5-56x45-ss109m855-long-penetrator/

that I won at auction for 190 bucks. Being military overrun, heavier bullet and longer projectile,, I am thinking it may take top honors cause those should do really well in my 1:7 barrel. When I started my build a vendor for that company (Fed-Arm) was also regularly distributing tracers.. I KNEW when I see them that I shoulda bid on some but, not knowing for sure how long the build was gonna take (I dont by nothin unless I get a deal and that takes time) so I passed on them.. Now its been a couple months since the vendor has had them on auction and Fed Arm has them backordered even on their site, seen here:https://fedarm.com/product/5-56x45-223-rem-62-grain-m856-tracer-range-grade-ammunition/

It will be a BLAST doing tracers and I look forward to someday having a batch to play with but those are also heavier bullets yet at 64 grains and I gotta hunch they may be fairly accurate as well as having tail lights :big-grin-emoticon:

I don't shoot competition any more but still have one of three custom 22LR. I also have about two cases of Eley 10X and Lapua gold box. I would never shoot cheap ammo through it. A squirrel didn't have a chance when I carried that one.

OUTSTANDING ROLLER!! Sounds like a blast! So,, to clean those tasty squirrels down younder, did you do the ol make a slice in the skin on the back - tuck a couple fingers under the hide and pull in opposite directions to skin em like we Squirrelers up here in the north or were our squirrels tougher skinned cause of the cold? Brother some of big old Fox squirrels could have one tough hide!! Good eating once ya got em skinned though..:big-grin-emoticon:

OUTSTANDING ROLLER!! Sounds like a blast! So,, to clean those tasty squirrels down younder, did you do the ol make a slice in the skin on the back - tuck a couple fingers under the hide and pull in opposite directions to skin em like we Squirrelers up here in the north or were our squirrels tougher skinned cause of the cold? Brother some of big old Fox squirrels could have one tough hide!! Good eating once ya got em skinned though..:big-grin-emoticon:

Yes we do it that way also and rabbit too.