IGNORED

Speaking of Government Regulations...

WRIDR

...our 6 pm News tonight revealed as of early June (June 9th?) Canadian Droners will be hit by a deluge of additional regulations, and restrictions.

No time to assess yet, but we'd hazard a guess they'll pretty much align with current U.S. laws; including possession of a Licence - AFTER passing a Test, clearly id'd registration info placed on the Drone, etc.

It had to come, but still a shock after the Freedom enjoyed to date. Welcome to 'The Club', Canadian Droners.

(Sorry for The Hack, Don.)

Rgds, WRIDR

I have been very much watching the regs develop on the USA side. I have not really followed Canada real close. It seems that every time the USA makes a new rule Canada follows and also when Canada makes a new rule the USA is not far behind. The FAA here is on the verge of trying to nearly eliminating RC aviation all together.

I live stateside. My son got me a pretty nice drone for Xmax. It's still to soupy and cold to fly it so Im totally green.

SD has maybe 10 ppl/sq mi, CA 240, NY over 400, NJ and RI have over 1100 ppl/sq mi! Places so richly overpopulated would understandably need more rules and regs as people are stacked on top of each other, literally. I do know parts of Canada are pretty remote and other parts are gnarly as hell. Are the new rules/regs Canada wide or only some localities? Life on chunks of blue earth sounds fairly painful to me.

Here is a SD drone law, it's a class 6 felony if I fly my drone over a prison to deliver drugs, thats not okay. Pretty normal common sense stuff. I see nothing about fees/registration/license req which is fine, if they ever do I will proudly be non-compliant, even openly defiant. Probably a darn good thing I do not (and never will again) live within any city limits. I'm the guy that would give my lawyer $1000 to prevent the IRS, county or state gov from getting $10.

Sounds like nonconformists like myself aught to stay out of Canada! I hope it isnt too bad and you can still enjoy the hobby without too much gov interference. I honestly have a knot in my stomach, I'm angry on your behalf! You have my permission to continue to enjoy your hobby safely and to stand in violation of any laws preventing you from doing so. Print this out, laminate it and keep it with you while flying.

Done!

I have been very much watching the regs develop on the USA side. I have not really followed Canada real close. It seems that every time the USA makes a new rule Canada follows and also when Canada makes a new rule the USA is not far behind. The FAA here is on the verge of trying to nearly eliminating RC aviation all together.

They can try. I've had a .049 COX flying trainer new in the box for many years. If any such laws come to pass this baby is going airborne, a lot!

I live stateside. My son got me a pretty nice drone for Xmax. It's still to soupy and cold to fly it so Im totally green.

SD has maybe 10 ppl/sq mi, CA 240, NY over 400, NJ and RI have over 1100 ppl/sq mi! Places so richly overpopulated would understandably need more rules and regs as people are stacked on top of each other, literally. I do know parts of Canada are pretty remote and other parts are gnarly as hell. Are the new rules/regs Canada wide or only some localities? Life on chunks of blue earth sounds fairly painful to me.

Here is a SD drone law, it's a class 6 felony if I fly my drone over a prison to deliver drugs, thats not okay. Pretty normal common sense stuff. I see nothing about fees/registration/license req which is fine, if they ever do I will proudly be non-compliant, even openly defiant. Probably a darn good thing I do not (and never will again) live within any city limits. I'm the guy that would give my lawyer $1000 to prevent the IRS, county or state gov from getting $10.

Sounds like nonconformists like myself aught to stay out of Canada! I hope it isnt too bad and you can still enjoy the hobby without too much gov interference. I honestly have a knot in my stomach, I'm angry on your behalf! You have my permission to continue to enjoy your hobby safely and to stand in violation of any laws preventing you from doing so. Print this out, laminate it and keep it with you while flying.

Done!

Anywhere in the USA already requires a FAA license to fly any remote piloted vehicle that is between 0.5 lbs and 55 lbs. I believe the license is $5 every 3 years.

The reality is that they will never show up at a flying field to check licenses. The only time it might come into play is if you were to have an accident and cause injury, or property damage, or Doing something stupid or illegal. Your insurance company can and will also use your lack of a license as grounds to deny a claim for damages. In the case of doing something stupid or illegal it is just one more charge to be added to the pile. There are also regulations as to the the operation of your drone, there are places where it is illegal, like over any gathering of people, sporting events, within 5 miles of an airport, maximum 400 foot altitude above the ground, etc., these are federal regs, your state regs are in addition to the federal regs. It would be wise to at least give the regs a once over so that you are not the one hauled off trying to use the "I didn't know that" defense, and trying to use that to fight the $10,000 fine.

A drone in the US must be registered. You do NOT need a license to fly as an amateur. You do, however need to notify any controlled air ports and helipads within 5 miles before you fly.

If you want to make money flying you must pass a class to show you aren’t an idiot.

2007 RSMTD

Anywhere in the USA already requires a FAA license to fly any remote piloted vehicle that is between 0.5 lbs and 55 lbs. I believe the license is $5 every 3 years.

The reality is that they will never show up at a flying field to check licenses. The only time it might come into play is if you were to have an accident and cause injury, or property damage, or Doing something stupid or illegal. ........, these are federal regs, your state regs are in addition to the federal regs. It would be wise to at least give the regs a once over so that you are not the one hauled off trying to use the "I didn't know that" defense, and trying to use that to fight the $10,000 fine.

All excellent points. The federal regs seem to be common sense, SD regs are almost nill, outside obvious blatant stuff that only a complete dildo would try, I did give em' a once over. Even some legal things I wont do, like a flying field. There is vast open space here, I mean there are some amazing perks to having such a sparse population. I can fly where even if it got away from me it wouldn't have enough battery to make it to a structure or person. I might even register it if its free and can be done online, the rationale for it makes sense.

Outside the federal regs (which make darn good sense) this is less about public safety and more about monetizing a popular hobby. Based on that realization I will always be safe and courteous, but I am not likely to comply with unreasonable expense and hassle. Nobody really believes city hall gives a single itot if you take a model plane to the melon. They do not. It will start out cheap and easy, and gradually they will stack on more rules and requirements that somehow all cost money and time. Pretty soon it will be a fairly expensive hobby and the revenue they generate will be pretty darn good. Isnt that is what just happened in Canada?

The notion of the FAA outlawing RC aviation completely, that strikes defiance. Sure as I'm sitting here, if it is outlawed it will become a passionate hobby of mine! If bikes were outlawed would you really not ride anymore? really? I would ride EVERYWHERE! I know I wouldn't be alone either. There comes a time when defiance is not only appropriate but necessary. You would never guess that I actually have ODD, would ya? :beer: It has not always been easy but I wouldn't have it any other way.

A quote that I like. "I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" - Euripides.

A drone in the US must be registered. You do NOT need a license to fly as an amateur. You do, however need to notify any controlled air ports and helipads within 5 miles before you fly.

If you want to make money flying you must pass a class to show you aren’t an idiot.

2007 RSMTD

All very fair, except the idiot part, they might have me over a barrel there haha.

U.S. Folks familiar with what happened when Them That Can decided to licence and regulate our Guns will easily understand why we knee-jerked upon hearing this news tonight.

It WILL cost us MONEY, and Restrictions will probably grow at a healthy rate. Perhaps our best hope is that They go overboard off the top, and the Industry Backlash forces Them to back off to some extent.

Not sure the Industry is big enough, or adequately organized to accomplish this.

We fully support sensible regulation. From past experience, we aren't holding our breath.

Rgds, WRIDR

U.S. Folks familiar with what happened when Them That Can decided to license and regulate our Guns will easily understand why we knee-jerked upon hearing this news tonight.

It WILL cost us MONEY, and Restrictions will probably grow at a healthy rate. Perhaps our best hope is that They go overboard off the top, and the Industry Backlash forces Them to back off to some extent.

Not sure the Industry is big enough, or adequately organized to accomplish this.

We fully support sensible regulation. From past experience, we aren't holding our breath.

Rgds, WRIDR

Ooh, I understand your reaction, I shared it with you! BTW I'm still angry on your behalf because I can see where this is going.

There are rules/regs to protect the public, and rules and regs designed to generate revenue and assert authority. No need to explain which ones risk triggering civil unease/revolt in these parts. It's important to react appropriately to each. When a group or community work together to effect change, it can happen. Sometimes the good guys actually prevail but unfortunately sometimes justifiable use of force must be used to counter inappropriate use of force/intrusion. Obviously how far you can push people varies greatly from state to state. Not suggesting that an armed revolt would be an appropriate response to drone laws, but depending on how unreasonable it may turn out to be some civil action might be in order. This is extreme case but the right guys came out on top https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff

I had a peek at the new Canadian drone laws on Field Law, which is what popped up. The new rules/regs dont sound too unreasonable. What I didnt find was anything on how much an average drone pilot may have to spend to bring themselves into compliance with the new batch of regs as it extends beyond flying etiquette, but holding licensure and registration. Any clue how much this is going to set you back?

I'll be quite interested in what your experience is like going forward.

Edited by CaseyJ955

As I understand it the new Canadian regs apply to ALL drones above 250gm (1/2lb) in weight & apply to all operators both commercial & private & whether you are on private or public land. I believe there is also an age restriction of 14 years of age.

1. Operator must be licenced after taking a "pilot's" licence exam. Where exams will take place & the format is not yet clear. Theory only? Practical? Flying test?

2. Drones must not be flown above 400 ft

3. All drones must be registered & bear clearly visible identification.

Rules about where they can be flown have been in existence for some time & many really are just ''common sense" but as we know 'sense' is not so common anymore (ie near airports, roads & traffic, prisons, buildings, can't be flown near people, in public or national parks without prior permission etc). so you can see that it doesn't leave many places where drones CAN actually be flown without breaking some law or other. BUT as usual it's the IDIOTS who've spoiled drone flying things for others.

We here have had cases of people snooping through apartment windows, flying near airports, flying alongside busy roads etc & it's that behavior that prompts further rules & regulation.

As we have seen many times before, IF someone decides to carry out some nefarious activity using a drone, are rules & regulation going to stop them? No! Just as with firearms if someone goes out to commit a crime using a gun, are rules dictating what "paperwork" he should be carrying going to stop him? I seriously doubt it. That does not of course mean that there shouldn't be rules or regulation that guide the casual, less knowledgeable or less experienced user.

Edited by Kretz

It also matter a lot on the exact definition of a drone. Are all types of RC model aircraft considered drones? Even if they have no guidance system, or autonomous capability or camera? There are many RC model aircraft that will be effectively grounded by these rules, even though these are the least likely to be doing stupid things or causing problems.

The FAA in the USA defines a drone as any remote piloted aircraft that is between 1/2 lb and 55 lbs. Less than 1/2 lb and they don't care about you. Over 55 lbs requires a special license with about the same written test that you take for a private pilots license. This includes all RC model aircraft. The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) is still in the process of working with the FAA to lessen the impact of the new rules on RC model aircraft.

Setting certain restrictions and regulations to drone flying I understand. Licensing and fees to me is just another tax grab. I Get displaying reg numbers may make it a little easier to identify a craft that is breaking a law or regulation. But then if I was up to no good I would simply not display numbers. Prime example is hand gun crimes in Canada are increasing despite the fact that it is illegal to carry a hand gun. even transporting one for competition shooting has a bunch of regulations and hoops you must jump through.

I also find it Ironic that the government has stated police are no longer allowed to collect, keep and use stats on who the most likely to carry and use guns in criminal activity are and randomly stop so called likely to commit characters, which overnight has doubled gun committed crimes. Yet they at the same time allowing persons to be randomly stopped without cause, forced to take a breathalyzer and even charge them on the assumption that they may drive home two hours later despite that the person may have every intention of taking a cab or uber home.

I heard about the drone regs this week. This is in my opinion just the beginning and, taking the long view I would expect that soon these drones will need to be covered by insurance or added under ones house policy.

It makes sense to me as there exists risk to property and personal injury. My personal bother with drones is intrusion of privacy. There is in present day way too much as it is; adding these drones is or will be pressing an already pressing issue; and so lends my agreement to regulating the drone rush! Invade and we can report, eventually a fine will be established, persist and we can then apply more use of existing laws.

What about Ham radios and CBs, as far as I know Hams still require licences? Remember the days of CBs when some ego would erect a tower and whip with so much output that he alone controlled the airwaves for several blocks. RF so strong you couldn't catch TV unless cabled! Also now I recall that at the beginning of TV & AM radio, they also required licence here in Canada.

Just a different prospective to this issue, one I think will settle down as the reasonable hobbyist form clubs and begin to share and educate members on responsible behavior in this new hobby which takes time so, expecting things to get worse before we find balance?

............... But then if I was up to no good I would simply not display numbers. Prime example is hand gun crimes in Canada are increasing despite the fact that it is illegal to carry a hand gun. even transporting one for competition shooting has a bunch of regulations and hoops you must jump through.

I also find it Ironic that the government has stated police are no longer allowed to collect, keep and use stats on who the most likely to carry and use guns in criminal activity are and randomly stop so called likely to commit characters, which overnight has doubled gun committed crimes. Yet they at the same time allowing persons to be randomly stopped without cause, forced to take a breathalyzer and even charge them on the assumption that they may drive home two hours later despite that the person may have every intention of taking a cab or uber home.

Just to clarify, if you transport (or even while its stored at home) a handgun in Canada by law must:

1. Be Unloaded

2. & Have a trigger lock fitted

3. & Be in a locked case or safe

4. & You must carry all registration papers with you

5. & You must obtain an "Approval to Transport" (ATT) from RCMP that allows you to move the handgun from one specified place to another specified place.

The above also applies to a number of "long guns" if RCMP deem them to be "restricted"

Restricted firearms may ONLY be used at a licenced & registered shooting range & no where else.

So one has to ask how do these gun crimes get committed? Because criminals do not obey the law, (It's this simple fact that Gov't fails to grasp). They've already broken all the above before a shot is even fired.

Incidentally with the new drink driving laws, to folks that say they wouldn't answer the door if police were there to demand a breathalyzer. If you own a firearm in Canada the police have the right to enter & search your property WITHOUT a warrant. Welcome to the Police Sate of Canada!

Edited by Kretz

Most people that are active in RC model aircraft do carry $2 Million of liability insurance or more. There is an organization in the USA called the Academy of Model Aeronautics, (AMA), There is a similar organization in Canada, I do not recall its name right now. The AMA has education and rules for safe operation and provides the insurance. This takes care of most active flyers and most of those are also in clubs that provide a safe place to fly.

Where the issue comes in is that with the new Quad rotor drones that are now cheap and available everywhere where anyone can go and pick one up. These new things pretty much fly themselves, with no operator skill or knowledge needed and are capable of traveling a half mile or more where the operator is just watching the camera feed. Many of then even have GPS capability so that when the battery gets low they can quickly find there own way back home. These are the ones with the cameras on them that dummies think it is cool to go peek in a neighbors window, or to try to get close up pics of an airliner in flight with no clue as the issues that they are causing.

This is what shut down the London airport for a day, a couple of weeks ago. A few birds took down an airliner in NY, they are made of flesh and bones but still killed the engines and put the airliner in the Hudson river. A Quad rotor is made of plastic metal and carbon fiber, it is a LOT stronger and harder than a bird and stands a good chance of doing major damage to an airliner.

I heard about the drone regs this week. This is in my opinion just the beginning and, taking the long view I would expect that soon these drones will need to be covered by insurance or added under ones house policy.

It makes sense to me as there exists risk to property and personal injury. My personal bother with drones is intrusion of privacy. There is in present day way too much as it is; adding these drones is or will be pressing an already pressing issue; and so lends my agreement to regulating the drone rush! Invade and we can report, eventually a fine will be established, persist and we can then apply more use of existing laws.

What about Ham radios and CBs, as far as I know Hams still require licences? Remember the days of CBs when some ego would erect a tower and whip with so much output that he alone controlled the airwaves for several blocks. RF so strong you couldn't catch TV unless cabled! Also now I recall that at the beginning of TV & AM radio, they also required licence here in Canada.

Just a different prospective to this issue, one I think will settle down as the reasonable hobbyist form clubs and begin to share and educate members on responsible behavior in this new hobby which takes time so, expecting things to get worse before we find balance?

Very good point. It's hard to argue with keeping insurance on anything that could be a liability, like a drone. If one chooses roll the dice and be underinsured, and they loose everything via fire/theft/vandalism/drone mishap judgement or whatever then they got exactly what they bargained for. I have a really tough time mustering any pity for someone who gets bitten by their own blatant irresponsibility. The part I take exception to is the part when one causes damage to someone else's person/property without adequate insurance, ones victim may not be able to recover damages, could be a life changing event for an innocent person. No way to slice that to be acceptable.

I put in a call to my State Farm guy to see what my coverages are on drones. Monday I should know my exact coverages. Thank you for bringing this up. Maybe others that have drone insurance can share how they got it, through renters/owners insurance or a separate policy. My cabin policy covers TONS of stuff outside and not pertaining to the home as well as all my **** at home. This is not an insurance policy I would want to walk through life without, drone or no drone.

EDIT, I love my Canadians, seriously, but if I were ever thinking about moving to Canada you fixed that right up for me. It sounds like a really cold CA haha.

Edited by CaseyJ955

For you home owners or renters, most insurance companies will only cover RC anything under your umbrella policy. Whatever your agent says you need be sure it is in writing, Agents can and do give wrong info that you will only find out about the first time you try to use it.

For you home owners or renters, most insurance companies will only cover RC anything under your umbrella policy. Whatever your agent says you need be sure it is in writing, Agents can and do give wrong info that you will only find out about the first time you try to use it.

I hope you're not implying that insurance companies will try to avoid paying out in the event of a claim Jeff! :crackup::rotf:

...from one of the more recognizable Drone Vloggers, a guy named "Captain Drone".

Now lissen; this Dude is a bit of a 'Character' (stated charitably).

The intent with this clip is to give we Canucks an overview on what the new regs will mean to the average Cdn Drone Flyer. In our opinion, he does a decent job covering the most immediate issues... despite mannerisms which you may find a bit unusual.

We can't vouch for his legitimacy, but in fairness he's been around for a 'long time' in Drone Time, lives in the Nation's Capitol, and seems to be fairly well connected with The Industry, plus some of the Political Animals.

Rgds, WRIDR

I watched that video I love the way he says in a number of places that "Transport Canada says...." but don't do that :crackup:'cause Transport Canada can't check!

Later he says politicians are there to obey the people (or something along those lines) again :crackup: when did that happen/ Politicians are there to obey their party leader. Very few will actually go against their party's policies. What the people want or think is immaterial!

He also says if you don't like something write & complain & you'll get the rules changed... again :rotf:I've written to my MP & various Gov't Ministers many times & either not received a reply at all or merely received standard rhetoric that totally misses the point I was making & merely regurgitates Gov't policy.

All in all a pretty misleading video imo. He does seem impressed though that Marc Garneau was an astronaut.

Just to clarify, if you transport (or even while its stored at home) a handgun in Canada by law must:

1. Be Unloaded

2. & Have a trigger lock fitted

3. & Be in a locked case or safe

4. & You must carry all registration papers with you

5. & You must obtain an "Approval to Transport" (ATT) from RCMP that allows you to move the handgun from one specified place to another specified place.

The above also applies to a number of "long guns" if RCMP deem them to be "restricted"

Restricted firearms may ONLY be used at a licenced & registered shooting range & no where else.

So one has to ask how do these gun crimes get committed? Because criminals do not obey the law, (It's this simple fact that Gov't fails to grasp). They've already broken all the above before a shot is even fired.

Incidentally with the new drink driving laws, to folks that say they wouldn't answer the door if police were there to demand a breathalyzer. If you own a firearm in Canada the police have the right to enter & search your property WITHOUT a warrant. Welcome to the Police Sate of Canada!

Whatever happened to Sgt. Preston? Loved that show. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

:farmer: