IGNORED

Luggage Rack

Installed the luggage rach last night. Very nice that Yamaha marked the location where you were supposed to drill the holes. Made it very simple to install. I usually measure many times before I start drilling because it's hard to "un-drill" a hole. :)

The lid construction is certainly different from any other bikes I've ever owned. If you haven't installed a rack or look at the lid, it is a double lid construction. There are 24 screws I think that hold the top (painted) skin of the lid onto the base of the lid. You remove those screws and lift the top lid off and there are 4 tiny "x" marks molded into the bottom side of the top lid. That is where you drill the holes. Very simple. They call for drilling a 1/8" pilot hole and then a 10mm hole for the bolts. I didn't have a 10mm bit but used did have a 25/64" bit which is the fractional equivalent. That worked fine.

It does surprise me that they list something like 4.4 lbs. for the maximum load on the rack. I think the RSV was 10 lbs. I'm sure I exceeded that many times and never had any issues with it. This lid seems much stronger than the one on the RSV.

Installed the luggage rach last night. Very nice that Yamaha marked the location where you were supposed to drill the holes. Made it very simple to install. I usually measure many times before I start drilling because it's hard to "un-drill" a hole. :)

The lid construction is certainly different from any other bikes I've ever owned. If you haven't installed a rack or look at the lid, it is a double lid construction. There are 24 screws I think that hold the top (painted) skin of the lid onto the base of the lid. You remove those screws and lift the top lid off and there are 4 tiny "x" marks molded into the bottom side of the top lid. That is where you drill the holes. Very simple. They call for drilling a 1/8" pilot hole and then a 10mm hole for the bolts. I didn't have a 10mm bit but used did have a 25/64" bit which is the fractional equivalent. That worked fine.

It does surprise me that they list something like 4.4 lbs. for the maximum load on the rack. I think the RSV was 10 lbs. I'm sure I exceeded that many times and never had any issues with it. This lid seems much stronger than the one on the RSV.

I like the design of their rack, but I wish it wasn’t all blacked out. I have to pay for the rack and then pay extra to have it chromed. Will do the same with the saddlebag kid rails.

If I were you, I’d use those base supports available at JP cycles that spread the foot pad stress over a wider area. And what up with this 4lbs junk? My winter coat is heavier than 4lbs! In your opinion, do you think it’ll support more weight without an issue? Just curious.

Guess I should’ve read your WHOLE post before jumping in! So, based on what you see in the trunks construction, it’s sturdier than the RSV. I used to put 10lbs on the one in my 91 VR with no problems. Never had a stress crack at all.

The luggage rack design is fine on the top side. The top brackets are wide enough and are solid between each mounting screw. The underside may benefit from some flat straps between the holes. Would be easy enough to make. Just a couple 6 or 8" pieces of flat strap aluminum or SS and drill holes in each end. I will probably do that at some point. I don't know why the load rating is so low. This trunk does seem stronger than the one on the RSV and the First Gens.

I'm taking a bit different approach on this bike. My last bike had pretty much every piece of chrome that was available from Yamaha and the aftermarket. I've pretty much reached the decision that I'm going to limit myself to items that I feel are really needed this time for either comfort, utilization, or safety. At first, I looked around for any new chrome goodies for it but the forks are black and the Yamaha trunk rack is black so I decided to just stick with that theme. I bought black offset highway pegs and installed the Yamaha rack. I have the Yamaha black saddlebag lid protectors ordered. I never cared much for the black trim on vehicles nor even the color-coded "monochrome look that some cars used. The black on this bike is starting to grow on me though. I kind of like the departure from my usual.

The only thing I'm awaiting arrival on are the handlebar risers, lid protectors, and lower wind deflectors. Kuryakyn black mesh type cup holder is ordered but is back-ordered until sometime in October.

Sebel horns that were kindly sent by another member here arrived yesterday. Will look at installing one or both of them over the next few days if I ever get caught up on Stairlift installs. It has been a very busy couple of weeks for that. I had a large custom curved install last Saturday and then this week I've had and have installs every day of the week including possibly Saturday if they decide to move ahead with that one. I've had very little time to play with the bike.

• 2 months later...

The only thing I'm awaiting arrival on are the handlebar risers, lid protectors, and lower wind deflectors. Kuryakyn black mesh type cup holder is ordered but is back-ordered until sometime in October.

Have you installed the lower wind deflectors yet? How difficult were they?

LOL 4 lb. The rack probably weighs half that. Maybe they misprinted it and its supposed to be 14lb? I think Victory's weight limit is also rite at 10lb. Pretty sure mine has met and or exceed that a time or three. However, I will say stacking stuff on the top of the trunk began to worry me some. Thats why I sprung for the hitch and the cooler rack to get that stuff low.

I have another question off the topic of this thread, but all the other bike I have purchased in the past have either had a designated place for paperwork (insurance card, registration, etc) or there was a decent place to store it. I have yet to find one such place on this bike. So the question is, where are you, the SVTC owners, keeping your paperwork?

I have another question off the topic of this thread, but all the other bike I have purchased in the past have either had a designated place for paperwork (insurance card, registration, etc) or there was a decent place to store it. I have yet to find one such place on this bike. So the question is, where are you, the SVTC owners, keeping your paperwork?

I have one of those bi-fold holders on the inside top of the trunk using velcro. It’s out of the way and works fine.

• 4 years later...