IGNORED

PARTS AVAILABILITY --- Camshaft not available for SVTC

Hi all,

I have purchased a SVTC in mid may 2018. Ran it until the first oil change. The machine was a dream. I have own 4 other Yamaha's (Vstar, Roadstar and 2 RSTD) but this puppy is and I hope will remain the best. After the first oil change there was no problem until I hit the road for a short 600 km trip. The day after the trip the valves started to make noises. I advise my dealer but was told that Vtwin always make more noise..... I went back 3 times to let them know that there was something wrong. Finally, I had to offer to cover the cost of the inspection for them to proceed. Guess what !!!! They found something. The cam, lifter and associate parts have to be replaced on the rear cylinder. The really sad part in this is that Yamaha did not forecast having problems with these parts (2DF-12170-00-00). From what I gathered this part was never available in Canada or the USA. They used all the available parts in their production, which, in my opinion, is taking a chance with our money and enjoyment of the machine. These motorcycle are high-end units. The manufacturer should have been more respectful of the customers.

Their error in judgment resulted in me losing my bike until the end of October..... in Canada this is pretty much the rest of the season. The worst of all in all of this is that Yamaha and the dealer are not trying to help. The only answer I got from them is wait for the part...... nice....

Just wanted to know if anyone ran into something similar ?

FR

FR

Unfortunately, Jap bike, German Bike, and Victorys have historically been notorious for NOT making spare parts readily available. However, if you have a Harley, the dealer can build you another bike the same afternoon with parts he has around the dealership, including crate engines & frames.

Hi all,

I have purchased a SVTC in mid may 2018. Ran it until the first oil change. The machine was a dream. I have own 4 other Yamaha's (Vstar, Roadstar and 2 RSTD) but this puppy is and I hope will remain the best. After the first oil change there was no problem until I hit the road for a short 600 km trip. The day after the trip the valves started to make noises. I advise my dealer but was told that Vtwin always make more noise..... I went back 3 times to let them know that there was something wrong. Finally, I had to offer to cover the cost of the inspection for them to proceed. Guess what !!!! They found something. The cam, lifter and associate parts have to be replaced on the rear cylinder. The really sad part in this is that Yamaha did not forecast having problems with these parts (2DF-12170-00-00). From what I gathered this part was never available in Canada or the USA. They used all the available parts in their production, which, in my opinion, is taking a chance with our money and enjoyment of the machine. These motorcycle are high-end units. The manufacturer should have been more respectful of the customers.

Their error in judgment resulted in me losing my bike until the end of October..... in Canada this is pretty much the rest of the season. The worst of all in all of this is that Yamaha and the dealer are not trying to help. The only answer I got from them is wait for the part...... nice....

FR

That really sucks. Have you explicitly asked them to provide you are loaner bike?

Maybe a quick consolation with a lawyer to see if that could help pressure them to make thre situation right?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

The machine was a dream. I have own 4 other Yamaha's (Vstar, Roadstar and 2 RSTD) but this puppy is and I hope will remain the best.

Their error in judgment resulted in me losing my bike until the end of October..... in Canada this is pretty much the rest of the season. The worst of all in all of this is that Yamaha and the dealer are not trying to help. The only answer I got from them is wait for the part...... nice...

FR

This is the BEST? REALLY! :think:

I would ask the dealer if they had an old reliable first gen out back you could use until they get yours fixed! This is the riding season and you are grounded. Surely they have free of charge loaners for such situations.

Go to the top. Yamaha can't afford bad publicity at this point. Was there a problem with the oil change?

This is the BEST? REALLY! :think:

I would ask the dealer if they had an old reliable first gen out back you could use until they get yours fixed! This is the riding season and you are grounded. Surely they have free of charge loaners for such situations.

Go to the top. Yamaha can't afford bad publicity at this point. Was there a problem with the oil change?

Sure sounds like a problem with the oil change. Very easy to put too much oil in if the level isn’t checked upright and to temperature. Definitely go to the top, waiting until Oct. is unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be contacting corporate about them not checking it when you first Compained and letting the problem worsen. Then I'd scream for a replacement. No excusing a brand new bike doing that. I hope it ends well and is an isolated thing and not a common issue with them. Good luck.

I would be contacting corporate about them not checking it when you first Compained and letting the problem worsen. Then I'd scream for a replacement. No excusing a brand new bike doing that. I hope it ends well and is an isolated thing and not a common issue with them. Good luck.

I have contacted Yamaha Canada. They have offered to get the part from another SVTC that the dealer has in stock (they would pay for everything but the dealer is not cooperating). Other than this small opening, they are bouncing the ball between themselves (dealer and Yamaha). Nothing like a great tennis match.....

I have asked for a loaner was offered a rental at 3000$ for 2 months, even offered to buy a used bike if they would buy it back after at a reasonable price.... and even exchange the bike at a reasonable price (was offered 5000$ under what I paid for) but has of today....no deal....

Next step... lawyer and public opinion, planning to go to a local consumer advocacy type TV program..... it is called "La Facture" -- the invoice.... pretty sure that Yamaha will not enjoy this.

Thanks for the encouragement.

FR

Hi all,

FR

Yes, I got my SVTC Dec 29th 2017. I did all the break in rpm limits per the manual, oil changes & levels and all maintence spot on. As we got into summer and I was around 7500 miles the engine seemed to be getting more “noisy” than usual. I chalked it up initially to the fact of higher temps and needing a heavier oil AND being close to oil change time.

i did the oil change and put a 20w-50 full synthetic in and figured “that’ll calm her down”, IT DID NOT! I knew then something was not right and took it straight to the dealership. Unlike your situation, mine didn’t dismiss it and checked it out. It was definitely coming from the rear cylinder. I had to wait 3 weeks for parts but again my dealership “Team Charlotte Motorsports” stepped up and let my ride their demo SVTC for the last week my bike was in the shop.

After conversations with both the dealership and Yamaha, here’s what was determined.

Do you remember the delay in the release of the SVTC? Well, that was caused by leaking crankcase seals. Yamaha hose to do the repairs IN HOUSE and not push a problem off on the dealerships. Good for them. There were 500 bikes that had the engines removed, disassembled, repaired and put back in. In my particular case (and possibly yours), it was determined that either NO or INSUFFICIENT cam lube was used during re-assembly. As you know, the lube protects the cam during start up until the oil has a chance to circulate. Without that, the lifter and cam “scored” and the wear continued from that point.

Im sorry that you’re giving up on such a truly awesome machine. I purchased mine with no illusions going into it. It’s a highly advanced design in its first production year. To think that there aren’t going to be any issues is just plain unreasonable. The problems reported on various owner threads are varied and nothing showing ANY product wide fault or flaw. They all seem to be isolated.

In closing, I’m truly sorry your dealership dropped the ball (which CLEARLY) they did!) and didn’t listen to your concerns. In my experience this far, Yamaha has taken care of ANY issue or concern I’ve had. The 3 weeks was a bummer and I had to cancel a planned 10 day 5 state trip. However, I will say that since the repair, it’s been running awesome AND I think it may have been why I wasn’t seeing the gas mileage some have reported. I was seeing 38mpg at best when I babied it. Now I’m seeing 42mpg and riding aggressively.

i know it stinks, but if you can HANG IN THERE. This machine IS worth the wait!

Glad to hear they stepped up for you Chief, I hope they do the same here. Two months is unreasonable to me. That's what I miss since Oldsmobile folded, I bought a new Cutlass that had two big issues within two weeks of delivery, they delivered another new car to my door and picked up the original. 170,000 miles on that one with no issues. I understand issues pop up with new technology but a manufacturer needs plans in place to keep customers.

Glad to hear they stepped up for you Chief, I hope they do the same here. Two months is unreasonable to me. That's what I miss since Oldsmobile folded, I bought a new Cutlass that had two big issues within two weeks of delivery, they delivered another new car to my door and picked up the original. 170,000 miles on that one with no issues. I understand issues pop up with new technology but a manufacturer needs plans in place to keep customers.

I agree 100%! I think that there are a number of areas that the rollout of the SVTC was completely mis-handled. Lack of forethought for parts is one of them. The other was the well know infotainment software issues. They’ve FINALLY got that pretty much smoothed out yet WHO in their right mind releases a technologically advanced machine and is not aware or dealt with EVERY SINGLE NUANCE of its operation BEFORE releasing it. I think racing to beat Honda to the “release” of a new model may be a factor.

Had a neighbor when I was stationed in Oklahoma. He had a Chevy Baretta he bought new when he was home in Indiana. A year or so goes by and car starts overheating. He takes to local dealer and they him and haw about things basically dont want to do anything because wasnt bought there. Would do minimal things but now your talking head gasket possibly more. So they finaly get into it and he gets some kind of BS about a month on parts etc. He called GMAC GM's finance branch and tells them he aint payin them until the dealer gets the car rolling. It must have lit a fire because by end of week he had car back.

I agree 100%! I think that there are a number of areas that the rollout of the SVTC was completely mis-handled. Lack of forethought for parts is one of them. The other was the well know infotainment software issues. They’ve FINALLY got that pretty much smoothed out yet WHO in their right mind releases a technologically advanced machine and is not aware or dealt with EVERY SINGLE NUANCE of its operation BEFORE releasing it. I think racing to beat Honda to the “release” of a new model may be a factor.

Glad to see you mention the tech issues. I thought the same thing reading about it then. I left it alone because some took offense to anything said against the new bike. Glad they fixed it. While I like the looks of it I just overall have no interest in them right now. That being said I hope it's a great bike for those that do buy them. I'm old school enough that I expect customer service from whoever sells you any product. That is a big factor when I make large purchases. Too many times one dealer can turn many people away from a good 😊 product with bad service. Failure to replace defective rotors on a 6 month old truck by a local dealer under warranty cost GM a new car sale from me this year. Yes I let the dealer know why I bought my first ever non GM new car.

I have contacted Yamaha Canada. They have offered to get the part from another SVTC that the dealer has in stock (they would pay for everything but the dealer is not cooperating). Other than this small opening, they are bouncing the ball between themselves (dealer and Yamaha). Nothing like a great tennis match.....

I have asked for a loaner was offered a rental at 3000$ for 2 months, even offered to buy a used bike if they would buy it back after at a reasonable price.... and even exchange the bike at a reasonable price (was offered 5000$ under what I paid for) but has of today....no deal....

Next step... lawyer and public opinion, planning to go to a local consumer advocacy type TV program..... it is called "La Facture" -- the invoice.... pretty sure that Yamaha will not enjoy this.

FR

Do you mind if I ask what you last 4 digits are in your serial number?? We’re trying to ascertain if there’s a a true pattern here or not.

thanks.

It sure sounds like Yamaha is trying to make it right buy telling the dealer to cannibalize another bike, It is the dealer that is the bummer in this case.

You have to wonder, were there actually no parts in the pipeline, or were there enough failures that it drained the pipeline. I get back to the Yamaha rep and make sure they know that the dealer is refusing to follow instructions.

Back in 94 GM just came out with a redesigned Suburban and I got one of them new. 4 weeks later the turn signals stopped working so I went to the dealer and they said that it was a bad turn signal switch, but since it was a new design there were not parts in the pipeline yet and it would take a month or 2 to get them, so they sent me and my new truck home very disappointed and with no turn signals. It just so happened that GM called me the next day like they always do one month after a new purchase to see how I liked it. I explained the problem with the turn signals. It was only about 15 - 20 minutes later that the dealer called me and said they are sending a tow truck to pick up my truck and they would cannibalize a steering column of something on the lot to get the part they need. My truck was done that same day and they washed it, gassed it up and delivered it back to my house. To me that is customer service.

Do you mind if I ask what you last 4 digits are in your serial number?? We’re trying to ascertain if there’s a a true pattern here or not.

thanks.

Chief, I agree with the reasoning. Is it a procedural oversight or an assembly oversight on these 500 bikes. Mine is 0705 which I believe is close to your date of assembly. I will be listening to my bike closely tomorrow especially the rear cylinder. I have thought I was hearing more valve noise but haven’t given it lot of thought ‘till now. If it was a procedural oversight, a recall might be in order on these 500 bikes.

Chief, I agree with the reasoning. Is it a procedural oversight or an assembly oversight on these 500 bikes. Mine is 0705 which I believe is close to your date of assembly. I will be listening to my bike closely tomorrow especially the rear cylinder. I have thought I was hearing more valve noise but haven’t given it lot of thought ‘till now. If it was a procedural oversight, a recall might be in order on these 500 bikes.

Yes, mine is 0694 and it appears that the sequential number and the delivery date of a vehicle have no congruency, therefore the S/N is extremely important. My particular problem became very evident at about 7,500. Just before my 8k mike service was due. I thought it was due to thin oil from the high summer heat and just needed a heavier weight oil. When that didn’t quiet it, I took it in immediately.

So, I will keep this as short as possible,but i do know how you feel with a broken bike.I too have a new 18 svtc.My motor started sounding terrible at 3200 miles,as I was touring about 5oo miles from home.Sounding only bad at idle ha ha I decided to keep going on with my vacation into Canada.IM from New Jersey.Anyway,Motor went bang And shut down.I knew it was something internal.Got towed to a dealer in Quebec,Got arental car, went to Mont TRemblant ,my original destination and Called my dealer in Jersey.Who would have brought me his Demo SVTC but couldnt find a driver with a passport.After my time at MOnt Tremblant,took rental car to airport and flew home.Canadian dealer said he couldnt even look at bike for 2 weeks,so he stored it at no cost,until my dealer went to get it.My cam wore a hole into the lifter.Rear cylinder exhaust lifter.Dealer had my cam,lifter and all other associated parts in 3 days,and completed a day later.So my dealer is putting in a claim to get reimburse for my expeses,for car and airplane flight.Wich is around $1600.The bad thing is that was my big tour trip of the year and didnt go to alot of places i would have gone on the bike.The Nissan centra rental car really didnt get my blood pumping like the bike.So I hope that is the end of this type of problems.I wish you luck in getting your bike repaired in a timely fashion.I dont know of anyone else with this problem,but hope there isnt many more.

So, I will keep this as short as possible,but i do know how you feel with a broken bike.I too have a new 18 svtc.My motor started sounding terrible at 3200 miles,as I was touring about 5oo miles from home.Sounding only bad at idle ha ha I decided to keep going on with my vacation into Canada.IM from New Jersey.Anyway,Motor went bang And shut down.I knew it was something internal.Got towed to a dealer in Quebec,Got arental car, went to Mont TRemblant ,my original destination and Called my dealer in Jersey.Who would have brought me his Demo SVTC but couldnt find a driver with a passport.After my time at MOnt Tremblant,took rental car to airport and flew home.Canadian dealer said he couldnt even look at bike for 2 weeks,so he stored it at no cost,until my dealer went to get it.My cam wore a hole into the lifter.Rear cylinder exhaust lifter.Dealer had my cam,lifter and all other associated parts in 3 days,and completed a day later.So my dealer is putting in a claim to get reimburse for my expeses,for car and airplane flight.Wich is around $1600.The bad thing is that was my big tour trip of the year and didnt go to alot of places i would have gone on the bike.The Nissan centra rental car really didnt get my blood pumping like the bike.So I hope that is the end of this type of problems.I wish you luck in getting your bike repaired in a timely fashion.I dont know of anyone else with this problem,but hope there isnt many more.

Thanks for posting, sucks to get your trip cut short but it sounds like your dealer is doing everything possible they can do. Is the last four of your SN under 1000 or so? I’m liking this 5 year warranty more and more.

Thanks my Dealer is awesome.and my serial ends with 0754.I ordered my bike the day of the unveiling at lake george june 5 2017.Fell in love with the looks of the bike and was ready for a change from the 2nd gen .Still wish it was a water cooled engine other than a v twin.The handling makes me forget about the engine,and all the other goodies.Still have complaints with a few little things though.

Hi all,

FR

One of the things I noticed when I got a peek at the internals on the new Ventures engine when we rode em out at Sturgis was that the engine they had under glass at that time did not employ roller lifters.. I know that HD has been using them for years as a stock item to mitigate wear between the cam lobes and the flat lifter bottom.. Having built numerous HD's up, I am also sure that they (HD) also offers higher grade "Screaming Eagle" roller lifters (as well as roller rockers) too and can absolutely verify that the rollers really do an amazing job of preventing wear as the lifters are riding on bearings instead of a film of oil... I know that the earlier 113's (Liners, Raiders and Strats) did employ non-rollers but I am not sure if Mom Yam or an after market source ever did come out with them.. This may be something to inquire about if you are looking for a more permentant fix...

Thanks my Dealer is awesome.and my serial ends with 0754.I ordered my bike the day of the unveiling at lake george june 5 2017.Fell in love with the looks of the bike and was ready for a change from the 2nd gen .Still wish it was a water cooled engine other than a v twin.The handling makes me forget about the engine,and all the other goodies.Still have complaints with a few little things though.

I just bought mine two weeks ago out of Alabama...1,500 miles and so far it's been great but...Capture.JPG

The fact that the OP of this thread has NOT returned to update or offer any info to gain some insight has me thinking “fake serial blogger”. EVERYONE so far has not had an issue openly giving their bike S/N so we can validate a possible range that may be involved. So WHERE is this slighted rider? Why has he not re-engaged? Makes one wonder does it not?

If these bikes were having all kinds of these problems, would there not be a number of people venting their frustration? YOU BETCHA!! Do a search for ANYTHING related to this topic and there is NOTHING. NADA! ZIP! ZILCH!

for those of you who are GENUINE SVTC owners and have given S/N, thank you!

The fact that the OP of this thread has NOT returned to update or offer any info to gain some insight has me thinking “fake serial blogger”. EVERYONE so far has not had an issue openly giving their bike S/N so we can validate a possible range that may be involved. So WHERE is this slighted rider? Why has he not re-engaged? Makes one wonder does it not?

If these bikes were having all kinds of these problems, would there not be a number of people venting their frustration? YOU BETCHA!! Do a search for ANYTHING related to this topic and there is NOTHING. NADA! ZIP! ZILCH!

for those of you who are GENUINE SVTC owners and have given S/N, thank you!

Had mine out for a spirited run yesterday and a close listen in the garage with a rod to my ear while idling after. Most of the noise I’m hearing seems to be coming lower in the engine (cam chain adjuster/primary chain adjuster?) but really isn’t as loud as the Harley’s that I’ve owned. I’m at 12k now so plan on rolling on to the 16k mile service where the lifters are scheduled to be inspected.

FR

Quebec has strong consumer protection laws, this make it an easy call with resulting pressure applied.

Then call Wendy at CBC she if she's looking for a fight.