IGNORED

Wall Drug in Wall S.D... The tourist trap of tourist traps,,, or is it?

cowpuc

My touring bikes have carried a Wall Drug sticker on em for,,, well,, for what seems like FOR EVER.. Back when my son "P-Dog" (actually earned this biker name when he was 8 years old - had did his required 3 days in the saddle that showed he had earned the privilage of having a biker name and thats when the two of aboard my 1st Venture landed at the East Gate of the Badlands N.P. where he fell in love with Prairie Dogs). During that time frame, Wall Drug was still a yearly/favored quick stop for their free ice water (we snuck packets of lemon juice and sugar from the cafeteria to make cup after cup of free Lemon Aid = when life gives ya lemons and all that :big-grin-emoticon:) and the main attraction for my boy and I was shootin Aliens in the video game machine in the Back Yard and making the targets chime in the Back Yards "Shootin Gallery"..

Wall Drug was also where my oldest daughter "Awahoo" (the one who is ready to pop out my next grandson ANYDAY) discovered a song by Micheal Murphy while goofing around pushing buttons with a head set on and searching thru music that is titled "Cowboy Logic".. She yelled at me across the store and, with tears in her eyes,, said "DAD!! This song should be titled "Cowpuc Logic" cause it says it all!!" Still makes me cry when I hear it and think of her saying that!!

I often have people question my continued love for this, admittedly,,, trail side tourist trap found at the journeys end on the West Gate of the Badlands.. What those folks probably dont know is that Wall Drug of Wall S.D. offers a seemingly endless collection of displayed Cowboy and Native American photography = something to behold I tell ya!! Tweeks KNOWS that Tip and I WILL always stop to continue our endless search thru these volumes and volumes of precious history.. Having long ago lost the responsibilities associated with having to keep an eye on the kids,, we can now devote endless hours of pure pleasure in rediscovering the REAL western U.S. and relive what those early settlers of our amazing nation went thru in their pursuit to bring us a settled nation..

DSCN6947.JPGDSCN6965.JPGDSCN6984.JPGDSCN6983.JPGDSCN6908.JPGDSCN6909.JPGDSCN6920.JPGDSCN6910.JPGDSCN6913.JPGDSCN6928.JPGDSCN6930.JPGDSCN6981.JPGDSCN6919.JPGDSCN6987.JPG

We spent hours inside there, Pucster!! Sure, it is a tourist trap of sorts, but a really cool place to wander through anyway. Of course, I had to have the traditional bumper sticker which is adorned on one of my tool boxes, but we also bought a couple other souvenirs as well! Becky picked up some jewelry and I picked up a nicknack and a snack.

Of course, we would stop in again if we are ever in the area!!

We spent hours inside there, Pucster!! Sure, it is a tourist trap of sorts, but a really cool place to wander through anyway. Of course, I had to have the traditional bumper sticker which is adorned on one of my tool boxes, but we also bought a couple other souvenirs as well! Becky picked up some jewelry and I picked up a nicknack and a snack.

Of course, we would stop in again if we are ever in the area!!

Hearing that my friend!!!!! I also LOVE pawing around in the Cowboy collectables... I have a couple HD riding neighbors here at our part time homej (least it seems that way,,, right now in the process of getting the KIA ready headin back west to rock-a-bye that new grandson when he FINALLY decides to join the fun - just stuck in new wheel bearings on the cars back side = 190k on the old ones so it was time ) on the Lake Shore that I ride with who I LOVE to shoot handguns with too - we carry our shooters on our bikes for those Shoot n Scoot shoot out events!!! Our "M.O." as geezer buddies is what ever we do we go all out in a competitive way..... Well,,, while walking thru the classic Cowboy section of that tourist trap on the prairie - some throwing knifes caught my eye!! Couldnt help be bring three sets of those Wall Drug flying blade souveniers home = the local competition between buddies continues:biker::stickpoke::duck::detective:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

It has been commercialized a bit more over the years, It's mostly gift shops and mediocre restaurants anymore. There are a couple decent western clothing stores. The massive buffalo burger has waned significantly in both size and quality since the 80s. Save your $$ and get that buffalo burger elsewhere in the hills. The donuts that defied explanation they were so good are still pretty good with a nice cup of joe. Wall is a semi-charming fuel stop on the way to the Badlands loop or Pioneer Auto Museum, (either of which are well worth the time and $$).

Wall to me is an excuse to ride out across the plains a bit. Either early spring or fall I might ride out, get a coffee and walk around a bit, look at stuff and then go home via the 244/Badlands. There is nothing there worth battling hordes of tourists for but on the off season it's a cool stop.

Wall is absolutely a tourist trap but it costs nothing to go check it out so if your there, why not? Wall is conveniently located on the way to the Badlands Loop (MUST ride) and about 80 miles on this side of Pioneer Auto Museum (must see for car guys/gals). Wall's biggest claim to fame is it's proximity to the Badlands. Check it out if your there but don't go out of your way unless time is not a factor on your trip. .02c

I've not made it out to that area yet, plan to in retirement in the next few years. Now Puc you've gone and changed an old favorite song of mine, I'll laugh every time I hear it now. I listen to a classic country station here that plays it and most of the songs you link on here pretty regularly.

The wife and I passed through there last week and looked over the place. You are right Puc, it is a treasure house of old photos and stories. I wish I knew some of the tales behind those pictures. We did pick up some post cards there and had the ice water. It was a nice break from the road then we continued to Rapid City for a couple days of sightseeing.