IGNORED

Saddle Bag Leaking

Does anyone else have water in their saddlebags after it rains? Is there a fix?
Water in the saddlebags is not normal. Do you have the rubber gasket that fits into the rim of the lower bag? When the two latches are snapped into place they should compress the gasket and provide a waterproof closure.

Water in the saddlebags is not normal. Do you have the rubber gasket that fits into the rim of the lower bag? When the two latches are snapped into place they should compress the gasket and provide a waterproof closure.

No I dont. Where the aluminum trim that seals the bag with some what of a tongue and groove, there is no weather striping. Ill have to take a photo of it when I get home. Neither bag has it.

Do you have an MK1? Are your side bags are hinged at the bottom?

My gen 1, MK1 bags never get water in them, no matter how hard it rains. My trunk, however gets water in it if if I ride through a fog bank.

Take a look at the lock mechanism. Is there a seal where the cylinder comes through? You'll have to remove the latch assembly to check this.

Do you have an MK1? Are your side bags are hinged at the bottom?
Good point, I don't know how the MkI's seal but suspect they too would have a gasket.

It's always a good idea to put the year and model of the bike you own in your profile.

Of course, if I was on the ball I may have noticed the avatar was a MkI. :doh:

No I dont. Where the aluminum trim that seals the bag with some what of a tongue and groove, there is no weather striping. Ill have to take a photo of it when I get home. Neither bag has it.

The MKI saddlebags and trunk each should have a seal in the groove. It is part number 26H-2847F-00-00, superseded to 54K-2847F-00-00. This seal is also used on the trunk of the MKII Venture. Of course it is no longer available from Yamaha. I have seen a seal offered on eBay once, but never again.

Some have inserted the proper sized window screen spline as a satisfactory substitute. You can find screen spline at home centers.

Trunk seal 1b.jpgTrunk seal 1a.jpgTrunk seal 1c.jpgscreen spline.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

• 4 years later...

So doing some spring prep on the 87VR I opened the saddlebags and trunk to find mildew growing on some of my stuff.  I rode in very light rain end of last season and also power washed and painted the garage doors so the bike got wetish through that process but not like it sat out in the rain.  I’ve got gaskets but they certainly don't seal tight.  Any further info on using screen spline?  Sorry I know prairiehammer was taken too soon.

9 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

So doing some spring prep on the 87VR I opened the saddlebags and trunk to find mildew growing on some of my stuff.  I rode in very light rain end of last season and also power washed and painted the garage doors so the bike got wetish through that process but not like it sat out in the rain.  I’ve got gaskets but they certainly don't seal tight.  Any further info on using screen spline?  Sorry I know prairiehammer was taken too soon.

If the lid was closed properly and tightly I would be looking for some hairline cracks, maybe even in the bottom.

• Thanks 1

Rats!  First aid kit had the most mold or mildew on it, cleaned it off but when I opened it I had to throw out about half of the supplies.  All the bandaids and sterile bandages had growth on and or in them.  Gave the rest of it a Lysol bath.  Looks like this thing is going to live in a ziplock from now on.  Kit was in the trunk which does have some hairline cracks, I guess just enough moisture got in for it to fester the past few months.

best way to seal the cracks?  I’m thinking just caulk it on the inside

1 hour ago, Pasta Burner said:

Rats!  First aid kit had the most mold or mildew on it, cleaned it off but when I opened it I had to throw out about half of the supplies.  All the bandaids and sterile bandages had growth on and or in them.  Gave the rest of it a Lysol bath.  Looks like this thing is going to live in a ziplock from now on.  Kit was in the trunk which does have some hairline cracks, I guess just enough moisture got in for it to fester the past few months.

best way to seal the cracks?  I’m thinking just caulk it on the inside

Product called Plastifix.

• Thanks 1