IGNORED

'08 international rally

gunboat

hi all

i have been planing to do this event since i've first heared about it late last year. my 13 y.o. daughter is excited to, and she doesn't ride with me that much. i have been working on the bike off and on the last 5 months to be ready to ride over 1,800 miles one way.

reiny and other venture folks have been working hard to put this together. but come on now only 9 people out of 4,000 have only signed up. i understand things happen and gas prices have gone in to orbit. i was expecting at least 50 others to have commited by now.

reiny as i've said so before, my daughter and i will be there. i'am still bring that clarion 6-disk cd for a door prize. sorry to have vented, but what i've read about ft. collins rally, i just figured the rally in canada would be even greater.

peace to all:225:

don c

I agree Don, and I dont have any room to talk as I haven't signed up yet. I think you will find that there will be a lot of last minute procrastination, but there will be a rally and it will be great. Colorado shouldn't be the benchmark, it's really about just getting together, as many as we can and share our lives with eachother for a few days. Some folks are a bit on the fence about going into Canada as they have never been there and dont know what to expect at the border. It's not a big deal, Lonna and I are over in Canada at least 10 times a year and usually more.

It will happen, it will be great fun and folks will get signed up and come....I have a hunch on this.

This looks like it would be a great time and I wish I could go but I cant get time off until August. If anyone is concerned about coming to Canada and crossing the border, dont be worried. I cross the border about 10 times a year and you dont need a passport for another year or 2 yet and the guys on the border are actually usually pretty helpful in my experiences. The only thing that is a show stopper is leave you guns at home, as our gun laws are fairly strict and they have no sense of ha-ha about them at the border crossings.

So go have fun and enjoy one of the nicest areas of Canada and have a look! we are looking forward to having you visit our country.

Brian

Becky and I plan to be there as well . We have already received our passports already , but see we don't need them now as they have postponed the deadline . I to have been numerous times through Canada , mainly up through Calgary and up north to Alaska . You will not find a more pleasant bunch people than the Canadians except for Charlie ! :rotf:

The only reason I have not RSVP'd as of yet is due to our business . At work we have been extremely busy and busier each forthcoming day . It's hard to make long term plans ahead and up to now , we cannot make definite plans until that date is within a week of . But if all goes right , Becky and I will be there to annoy the heck out of all of ya ! :rotf::rotf:

As far as Canada is concerned , there's no worries anyone needs to concern themselves with . It's like being here at home , they speak the same language + French . They put their helmet and chaps on just like we do . They do drive on the same side of the road as we do , again except for Charlie ! Fuel maybe a little higher , but Hey , we are on scoots .....supposeably better fuel economy from what I hear . It's not that far up into Canada and it's Beautiful up there too ! Use the international road symbols , our scoots have the metric system on them for determining speed as well .

Just remember when going to Mickey-D's , it not McChicken sandwich , it's McPoultry sandwich . They do accept US $'s and the locals due know the exchange rate all so well and treat you fairly . If your not sure , hit the bank and get the currency exchange both there or on the US side . It's not a big issue !

There's nothing to Fear , but Beer30 himself ! If you are not positively sure , but still leaning towards going , at least say a maybe and show some hope for this Rally .

Now do I hear a "Rally Cry " , Hey ?

BEER30

hey, its McChicken where I am in Canada. :stirthepot:

Every time I have traveled north from Billings Montana to the start of the Alaska-Canadian Hwy , each McD's had McPoultry on the menu ! No Kidding . But then again , it has been 14 years since I traveled into Canada .

So ya learned English a lot better since then ?:rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

BEER30

I think youre reading the French part of the bilingual label. Every major company must put both English and French on every label, including McDonalds. (A real waste of time in most of the country if you ask me, as most people outside of Quebec have English as their first language,)

But, to answer your question, yes we have learned English since you were here last! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Guest tx2sturgis

Never mind the door prizes, passports, exchange rates, language barriers, or McPoultry sandwiches...tell us about the HOT BABES!

:)

Surely Canada has some cute women...or all they all wrapped up in parkas like the Siberians?

Gotta give us what we want, or we aint comin!

Never mind the door prizes, passports, exchange rates, language barriers, or McPoultry sandwiches...tell us about the HOT BABES!

:)

Surely Canada has some cute women...or all they all wrapped up in parkas like the Siberians?

Gotta give us what we want, or we aint comin!

You done said you ain't comin' , so we're not tellin' !

So come find out fer ya self !!!!:rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

Sue and I are registered and will be there. Gotta try out that Bunkhouse camper I just bought.

As others have said it's no big deal going into Canada. Very nice people up there, they'll even help you pick up your bike if you drop it, don't know how I know this :whistling:.

And, (check this out 93 Venture), you CAN get back into the US without any problem.

We enjoyed Fort Collins very much and are looking forward to getting back to Kitchener and see our friends up there.

So, Ventureriders, pull together and make some plans to support our brothers in the Great White North as they do rallies and Meet&Eats in the US.

Becky and I will be ther as well, and am already registered. I have to have a toe removed from my left foot, not sure when, but will be at the rally anyways even if we have to cage it!!! Hopefully we will be on the scoot though. Wouldn't miss it for the world!!!

Hey .. if it were being held in the east coast, you might be able to get the McLobster too ... :whistling:

Cheers,

Yup See Picture below, Canso Causeway Nova Scotia, Cape Breton.

Not sure why anyone would think it is hard to travel across the border, it is a sight inconvinence only. Answer the questions honestly and you should have no problems, either directions. We cross at least 10-15 times or more, and we have been pulled in only about 3 or 4 times, in 20 years. Give the car a little search and away we go.

Unless you travel with my wife. She tells the guy at the customs booth on the US side to give me a hard time. AND the guy did, asked me just about every question he could think of. Naugh-T and Swifty are at the side waiting for me and laughing. THe guy was just razing me but oh well, guess he has to have some fun in a boring job.

AND she thinks I deserved it for giving her a hard Time, ME who figure ?? !!

Brad

I am hoping to be able to ride up for the rally at least for a couple of days. Cindi won't be able to come along, but I should be able to swing it. I'll probably drive up Saturday and leave Tuesday or Wednesday.

One word of caution to all those travelling to the frozen tundra for the 1st time, watch your gas gauge! Gas stations are few and far between on that highway. I almost ran out of gas before pulling off and finding a station and there were no signs on the highway indicating that a station was near. It was just dumb luck and a calculated risk that I found one. Maybe our norther brethren can send out a notice of refueling stops between Michigan and Kichner.

Maybe our norther brethren can send out a notice of refueling stops between Michigan and Kichner.

If you cross at Port Huron fill up and you should make it all the way to Kitchener (approx 120miles), without re-fueling. If you cross on Windsor you should make it to London (approx 120 miles) and then there is a couple of exits with gas stations, close to the highway.

London Ontario is only 60 miles away from Kitchener.

Brad

If you cross at Port Huron fill up and you should make it all the way to Kitchener (approx 120miles), without re-fueling. If you cross on Windsor you should make it to London (approx 120 miles) and then there is a couple of exits with gas stations, close to the highway.

London Ontario is only 60 miles away from Kitchener.

Brad

I crossed at Port Huron a couple of years ago and that 120 miles is exactly what I'm talking about! That's a heck of a long way between service stations, don't ya think? There's got to be some in between, but there are no indications from the highway. I bet I'm not the only one who could use this information. Maybe one of our Canadian allies could give us the old "Ya hey dere's one in...":stirthepot:

Chuck

I crossed at Port Huron a couple of years ago and that 120 miles is exactly what I'm talking about! That's a heck of a long way between service stations, don't ya think? There's got to be some in between, but there are no indications from the highway. I bet I'm not the only one who could use this information. Maybe one of our Canadian allies could give us the old "Ya hey dere's one in...":stirthepot:

Chuck

There's a couple of little towns (Sarnia, London) you will be going through. Last I heard they each had at least one petrol station. But if I were you I'd fill up in Port Huron and carry a five gallon Jerry can on the back seat just in case.:stirthepot:

There's a couple of little towns (Sarnia, London) you will be going through. Last I heard they each had at least one petrol station. But if I were you I'd fill up in Port Huron and carry a five gallon Jerry can on the back seat just in case.:stirthepot:

Maybe I'll do that Gary. Then I could just put up a sign offering some liquid mileage to those hauling trailers and frantically looking between their gas gauges and the stationless horizon. Now let's see, how many litres to the kilometer...? Or is it kilometers to the litre? *#%#! metric system! :nanner:

I did a ride from Pt. Huron to Niagara Falls last year, back roads mostly, and didn't have any problems with getting gas. Thats further than going to Kitchener. Just stopping when nearing half tank left wasn't that bad. There was a heat wave when I did it, 100* plus was a killer. Nice area, I'm thinking of doing the rally but wife wants to do Pa. dutch area. Weather will be deciding factor when time comes.

I did a ride from Pt. Huron to Niagara Falls last year, back roads mostly, and didn't have any problems with getting gas. Thats further than going to Kitchener. Just stopping when nearing half tank left wasn't that bad. There was a heat wave when I did it, 100* plus was a killer. Nice area, I'm thinking of doing the rally but wife wants to do Pa. dutch area. Weather will be deciding factor when time comes.

Hey Jonesy,

FYI, there is a very large Amish community just outside (north) of Kitchener. Lots to see and do. I imagine a lot of the rides planned for the rally will be through this area too.

Check out St. Jacobs, Elmira, Elora, West Montrose, etc.

And if you get a chance to have a meal of just dessert at Anna May's in Millbank, it's worth the drive and the wait.

All these little towns are close and worth taking a look at.

FYI for those crossing at Port Huron. Hwy. 7 is a nice two lane road that runs just north of 402 and 401 bypassing London but going through a few small towns like Stratford. If you have the time it's a very nice ride and only takes a little longer than the super slab.

Stratford is well worth spending some time at. The lady's always like it there for sure. Lots of parks along the river and the Shakespeare theater.

Also there's a great place to eat in St. Marys. I don't remember the name but I think it's the old post office converted to a restaurant.