IGNORED

Will these spark plug caps work?

I think I remember my '84 venture was the 10k, but also, the stock boots (or two of the four) are straight up as the plug wires exit through the plastic cover.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

$23.00 shipping?

Wow!

The factory caps are 10K ohm.

Someone with more experience on these systems will have to weigh in on whether the 5K ohm caps would work.

I'm not sure I'd want the 90deg caps either but that might not be an issue.

OK, that's weird.

The first time I clicked the link to ebay those caps were $6.95 + $23.00shipping. The second time I clicked in they were $7.95 + $30.00shipping.

Doesn't seem like ill be buying from this store anytime soon lol

The difference is whether or not the link showed US dollars or Aussie dollars!

Yup, for that price you can almost buy ready made plug wire sets complete with the caps that are designed for the Venture!!!

Here's a start in your search, I checked eBay but didn't see anything specific today...

https://search.myway.com/search/GGmain.jhtml?searchfor=spark+plug+wires+for+1988+yamaha+venture+&tpr=hpsb&st=hp&qs=&n=

If you go to NGK.com, you will find an extensive catalog with caps listed for our Ventures. The NGK caps are 5k ohms. I bought a set a while back but have not installed them yet. Okay, I just looked for a XVZ13 and they don't have any. But, I did buy mine from them for a 89 Venture.

Edited by BlueSky

Here is what I ended up with Cha:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NGK-90-Degree-Elbow-10mm-12mm-Adaptable-Cap-LD05FP-8070/170478636377?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMHO they seem to be working just fine BUT,, that is strickly an opinion from a "wish I knew something about electricty" kind of wrench spinner... Right or wrong,,, all my 1st Gen's came to me with 5k ohm plug caps and the plugs in all mine have been the smaller "D" sized which, all of the D plugs I have used thru the years were 12mm in thread size so that is why I went with the above..

I have no idea what ohm the book specs our scoots out for,, I just know that the 5k's in my 1st Gens always seemed to do a good job,,,, electrically speaking of course.

My current scoot does not have stock wires on it and I have no way of knowing how many times your wires have been "snipped" at tune up so no way to know if you will end up with enough wire to make the bend into these right angle caps.. Maybe a quick pic of each of your wires hanging beside the jugs and someone could give you a guess as to whether or not these right angles would work,,,,,,,, or,,, maybe better yet,,,, just hit up Partsnation or other Yam supplier and get the right ones = then you KNOW you are onto it!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

The difference is whether or not the link showed US dollars or Aussie dollars!

Yup, for that price you can almost buy ready made plug wire sets complete with the caps that are designed for the Venture!!!

Here's a start in your search, I checked eBay but didn't see anything specific today...

https://search.myway.com/search/GGmain.jhtml?searchfor=spark+plug+wires+for+1988+yamaha+venture+&tpr=hpsb&st=hp&qs=&n=

If you go to NGK.com, you will find an extensive catalog with caps listed for our Ventures. The NGK caps are 5k ohms. I bought a set a while back but have not installed them yet. Okay, I just looked for a XVZ13 and they don't have any. But, I did buy mine from them for a 89 Venture.

I saw those on ebay awhile back and didn't jump on them. But I bet if I emailed NGK they could get something set up

Here is what I ended up with Cha:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NGK-90-Degree-Elbow-10mm-12mm-Adaptable-Cap-LD05FP-8070/170478636377?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMHO they seem to be working just fine BUT,, that is strickly an opinion from a "wish I knew something about electricty" kind of wrench spinner... Right or wrong,,, all my 1st Gen's came to me with 5k ohm plug caps and the plugs in all mine have been the smaller "D" sized which, all of the D plugs I have used thru the years were 12mm in thread size so that is why I went with the above..

I have no idea what ohm the book specs our scoots out for,, I just know that the 5k's in my 1st Gens always seemed to do a good job,,,, electrically speaking of course.

My current scoot does not have stock wires on it and I have no way of knowing how many times your wires have been "snipped" at tune up so no way to know if you will end up with enough wire to make the bend into these right angle caps.. Maybe a quick pic of each of your wires hanging beside the jugs and someone could give you a guess as to whether or not these right angles would work,,,,,,,, or,,, maybe better yet,,,, just hit up Partsnation or other Yam supplier and get the right ones = then you KNOW you are onto it!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Well I decided with 30 year old wires, i'll just replace the wires with new copper core wires. Might go the NGK route, but I'll take a look see at yer link ya posted! I'm not having any issues with mis-firing or anything. Just a piece of mind thing!

Ive never heard of snipping wires at a tune up?

I think the manual states that the caps are 10k ohms. My OEs checked 9k ohms. The 5k ohms caps should give a fatter spark and cowpuc says he never had any issues running the 5k ohm caps. The NGK catalog states that they don't have any for our bikes but had some that would probably work. I didn't try to find those.

I think the manual states that the caps are 10k ohms. My OEs checked 9k ohms. The 5k ohms caps should give a fatter spark and cowpuc says he never had any issues running the 5k ohm caps. The NGK catalog states that they don't have any for our bikes but had some that would probably work. I didn't try to find those.
There must be some basic research cited and actual test results for using 5K vs wok ohm plug caps. I was looking close at this when I first got my venture and found some bad caps. I remember there was a guy on a forum who could talk about 5k vs 10k ohm caps and since some of our venturerider heavy hitters already weighed in here I'm gonna say it was Hondaman on a cb750 forum..

The resistor forms an LR circuit with the coil and will do something like earlier longer or later shorter. I don't think it has anything to do with the. "Voltage" or "heat" of the spark because the spark jumps when the spike reaches the voltage required to jump the gap. The coil secondary is a pulse or approximate square wave and im pretty sure the inductor starts as an open (resists current change) and ends as an almost short and is charged at a rate proportional to the resistor (wire and cap). And of course proportional to the input (coil primary) pulse. So I think bigger plug cap resister gets later discharge (and idk if its longer)... But I might be wrong here and plug wire might be the inductive element of concern. There's some research on this I remember looking at but I can't now because my head hurts from thinking (& I need to work).

And someone mentioned copper core wires..the graphite wires are there for radio noise suppression, the spark has more rounded edges and less high frequency which sums to the sharp edges.. I doubt this change would affect our stock tci, but it might make for noise in an old radio or cb if you run them. Not sure if it would affect an Ignetek ignition.. I have an Ignetek, stock wires (trimmed to get good contact to the boot), and 10k ohm plug caps which are readily available.

It's basic electrical circuits that there is a voltage drop over a resistor. The voltage to the spark plug will increase using a 5k ohm cap versus a 10k ohm cap. And since the Gen I's use copper spark plug wire, the inductive effect of that wire is miniscule. The coil works by building up a field in the primary side which induces a field in the secondary side and when that voltage is shut off, the voltage collapses causing the field to change in the secondary side and providing a voltage/spark to the spark plug. This inductive action will ring back and forth decreasing each time. I'm not an elec eng. Maybe flying fool whill chime in and tell us more about this event.

It's basic electrical circuits that there is a voltage drop over a resistor. The voltage to the spark plug will increase using a 5k ohm cap versus a 10k ohm cap. And since the Gen I's use copper spark plug wire, the inductive effect of that wire is miniscule. The coil works by building up a field in the primary side which induces a field in the secondary side and when that voltage is shut off, the voltage collapses causing the field to change in the secondary side and providing a voltage/spark to the spark plug. This inductive action will ring back and forth decreasing each time. I'm not an elec eng. Maybe flying fool whill chime in and tell us more about this event.
Are you suggesting that the graphite wires have a higher inductance than copper wires? And I still don't think the 5k drops significantly less voltage than the 10k (maybe 1/2 but..) as its thousands of volts across the plug to jump the gap. And then why wouldn't oem use the 5k ohm? But like I said, I'm out of my,knowledge base here so,I shouldn't be commenting on,the engineering, but for sure I remember the 5k vs 10k affects the secondary voltage wave shape (noise).

When I replaced the caps on my 89VR, I used the Dennis Kirk catalog and order NGK 5K caps and nonresistance spark plug wires. https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unlimited/spark-plug-wire-01-114-1.p2021.prd/2021.sku

The wire appears to be available from any Parts-unlimited dealer but I would replace both wire and caps. I believe I was able to do all 4 wires with the 6 ft roll.

They also have an assortment of NGK caps so you can pick out the angle that works best for each cylinder.

On a side note, I have since swapped over to Coil on Plug, COP, and am happier with that set up then the stock coils and wires.

Rick F.

I must give you all my experiences with Yamaha Venture caps for the past 30 years I have owned my 87 VR. 1st My local shop sells NGK for $5 each or less. NGKs are cheap...something you don't want to hear. I have had numerous ones simply go bad. Investigating to find the resistance went infinite, totally OPEN= useless. 2nd your original caps are testable an rebuildable. Use a good straight head screw-driver that fits tightly where the sparkplug(you'll see, get reading glasses)) enters. Unscrew it...And what comes out is a small brass washer, resistor and spring(order stated may not be correct), remember the order in which these items came out. The brass washer IS VERY SMALL gets corroded, Clean it and the spring ends with 1500# or 2000# paper. FYI- The resistor should not be sanded...because the shorter it gets INCREASES resistance. Clean with nothing more than a metal polish. If this does not correct resistance that is too high buy a replacement. Yamaha Standard is 10k + - 1k

Edited by jasonm.

I must give you all my experiences with Yamaha Venture caps for the past 30 years I have owned my 87 VR. 1st My local shop sells NGK for $5 each or less. NGKs are cheap...something you don't want to hear. I have had numerous ones simply go bad. Investigating to find the resistance went infinite, totally OPEN= useless. 2nd your original caps are testable an rebuildable. Use a good straight head screw-driver that fits tightly where the sparkplug(you'll see, get reading glasses)) enters. Unscrew it...And what comes out is a small brass washer, resistor and spring(order stated may not be correct), remember the order in which these items came out. The brass washer IS VERY SMALL gets corroded, Clean it and the spring ends with 1500# or 2000# paper. FYI- The resistor should not be sanded...because the shorter it gets INCREASES resistance. Clean with nothing more than a metal polish. If this does not correct resistance that is too high buy a replacement.

I'll have to look into this! I've got good spark and the bike runs great, but the rubber that meets the motor is totally shot. There's hardly any rubbery there. Maybe I can check resistances and clean as you stated, and just replace the rubbers

• 7 months later...
Well they're 40 bucks from Yamaha each. I think I'll try NGK plugs at 10k ohm

Just to confuse the issue...I found a set of NGK 5K ohm plugs wires with caps for the 89 on Ebay. Fit perfectly. Been on there since November 2014. Still working great!

:stirthepot:

I am with VAz Cha,, here is what I been runnin.. CHEAP and work great!!:thumbsup:

I ordered NGK caps back when their site listed some for my 89 Venture. The ones that came are SD05F caps. They are straight caps and my VR has angled caps on the front two cylinders. I still have not installed them!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sd05f&hvadid=177574814795&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9010078&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16328367812238270345&hvtargid=kwd-11054075277&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_4nc6c6ui9_e

Edited by BlueSky