IGNORED

The Beast's current stautus

luvmy40

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modifying for the Turbo or the Nitrous? Or just couldn't leave well enough alone?:confused24:

Had to replace the cheepaz chicom head cover gaskets that leaked 2 gal. of oil last season and figured I'd do a proper rebuild on the carbs and swap the needle shims as well.

Looks to me like you are enjoying the labor, carry on McDuff!!! I would get rid of that red fuel hose though, before it starts to break down and plug carbs.

Interesting in that my 89 has a similar red hose on the fuel line. Guess I'd better look into something better.

I would have never known! Thanks!

Made a little headway today. Not as much as I'd liked to have gotten done but a start. I spent most of the day on a wild goose chase looking for some 2" flexible aluminum duct to make an exhaust vent for the shop. Nada, nunca! So I'll have to order it from the interwebz.

I did pick up new fuel line and got that and the head covers with the new OEM Gen 2 gaskets installed.

xvz12headcovers.jpg

Now to get started on dinner. Chicken Tandoori tonight, with fresh ginger and cilantro served with lemon/chicken rice and yogurt sauce.

YUMMMMMM!

Edited by luvmy40

Got two carbs cleaned up, re shimmed and back together with the new SS screws. I have to track down a lost screw for the enricher block on one of them. Not sure where it could have gone as everything was disassembled in a Rubbermaid container and hasn't been touched since tearing them down.

The third is in the carb dunk and the fourth is waiting in line. I'd hoped to get them all back together, check the float levels and reassemble the rack tonight but without that pesky screw, it'll have to wait till Tuesday!

I got the carbs all cleaned up and put back together. Remounted the carb bank, air box and TCI. Started her up and I'm getting no love from the #3 cylinder. Good spark and the colortune shows fire with the enricher circuit on and at 1/3 throttle or so, just no fire on idle. I must have a blocked passage in the #3 carb pilot circuit. I guess I'm pulling the carbs again tomorrow!

I got the carbs all cleaned up and put back together. Remounted the carb bank, air box and TCI. Started her up and I'm getting no love from the #3 cylinder. Good spark and the colortune shows fire with the enricher circuit on and at 1/3 throttle or so, just no fire on idle. I must have a blocked passage in the #3 carb pilot circuit. I guess I'm pulling the carbs again tomorrow!

Before you go through all that, do a second opinion. Take off the air box and spray carb clean or WD40 into #3 . If it fires then most likely you still have a carb issue, if it doesn't the problem lies elsewhere.

I'll definitely try some fuel directly injected first but all the signs point to a blocked pilot circuit, as I'm getting fire on "choke" and at open throttle. Not to mention my spark is jumping like a champion bullfrog.

The pilot adjust has zero effect from closed to completely open.

All the drain screws are leaking now as well. They looked good and had never leaked before so I just reinstalled them. I'll have to see if I have the right O-rings for them.

At this point, I'm just going to pull them and give them another over all inspection.

I pulled the carb bank and double checked #3 . All passages are clear and everything looks good. I put new o-rings on all 4 drain plugs and reinstalled everything. Still no fire at idle on cyl. #3 . I pulled the plug and low an behold, it's fuel fouled. Cleaned her up and...still no luck.

I colortuned the other 3 carbs and synched 'em all up at about 3k rpm. Dropped the idle back down to 1Krpm and I can hear 3# firing intermittently. I'm leaning toward a bad TCI but I'll ohm out all the coils caps and wires later just to be sure.

Anybody know off hand what the Ignitech modules are going for now? The orange box from RegulatorRectifier.com is $329.00

So maybe take this as a double checking question. Did you get all 4 carbs to dial in correctly? all the same when you did a sync? Did you do the sync after to installed them this time? did you try the carb cleaner in #3 while it was running? did you sync at idle? and leave it there or did you adjust again at 3k?

Sprayed carb cleaner in #3 before I pulled them the second time, no effect.

Synched after final install at1Krpm then 3Krpm then reset idle to 1Krpm

Yes, all 4 carbs synched in nicely though #3 would have intermittent vac drops, not regular and not really often but more than once or twice.

She starts right up and idles pretty smooth at 1K but you can hear #3 randomly firing and going cold. It sounds like #3 is solid at higher rpms, which is why I was looking at a fuel issue. Then again, 3 may be cutting in and out at any throttle position and it just sounds smooth at higher rpms.

I'm going to close her all up and get some road time in ASAP and see if I pick up on anything.

I pulled the carb bank and double checked #3 . All passages are clear and everything looks good. I put new o-rings on all 4 drain plugs and reinstalled everything. Still no fire at idle on cyl. #3 . I pulled the plug and low an behold, it's fuel fouled. Cleaned her up and...still no luck.

I colortuned the other 3 carbs and synched 'em all up at about 3k rpm. Dropped the idle back down to 1Krpm and I can hear 3# firing intermittently. I'm leaning toward a bad TCI but I'll ohm out all the coils caps and wires later just to be sure.

Anybody know off hand what the Ignitech modules are going for now? The orange box from RegulatorRectifier.com is $329.00

Check the classified section.

That #3 would have an occasional drop in vacuum has me confused. When you sync, or anybody does a sync, it has nothing really to do with spark or firing. All it really does is to adjust the throttle plates evenly so that each cylinder gets very close to exactly the same amount of air. It is then up to the carbs to deliver the right fuel mixture and the ignition system to boom it. So doing a sync at 3k can throw things off, for if a throttle plate was 10% of at idle it would only be off 2% at 3k (not scientific or real at all). The vacuum gauge is only used to judge the throttle plate position, that's all.

So now we have 1 cylinder, #3 that has an intermittent vacuum drop. For some reason, either the piston isn't drawing air, the intake valve is opening, you have a loose boot, there is a hole in the diaphram, or something, something is causing the lack of vacuum. I would chase that down first.

Are you sure you weren't pinching the vacuum line?

What sync tool are you using?

Yeah, I'm scratching my head a bit too.

Morgan Carb Tune Pro, the lines were not pinched or kinked. Like I said, I tuned at 1K, tweaked at 3K and rechecked at 1K.

I'll do some vac leak tests tomorrow, I'm tied up all day today.

I inspected all the diaphragms and they looked good the #3 slide acts normal and is in sync with the others.