IGNORED

My nuts are gettin' rusty

uncledj

I put new lug nuts on my Ford Fusion last Fall, and they're rusting already.

I put brakes on the car and the original lug nuts were the type that had a chrome, stamped metal covering over the lug nuts. (I hate those....cheesy)

Anyway, they were rusting a bit, and the stamped metal was cracking, so I decided to replace them. I got a set off of flea bay, and made sure they were not like the OEM, but instead were one solid chrome nut.

I was quite pleased with them until I noticed the other day how fast they're rusting.

Before they're beyond saving, I'd like to take them off and clean them, but how can I protect them from rusting over again?

Seems like it should have taken a bit longer before they started showing rust.:mad:

Rusty nuts.jpg

Those look like they were electro plated and not very good job at that. You got them off ebay ?? Most likely cheap knock off lugs. There is not much you can do to stop rust after it starts. Maybe have them powder coated but that would cost as much as a new set from Auto Zone or Advanced Auto.

Those look like they were electro plated and not very good job at that. You got them off ebay ?? Most likely cheap knock off lugs. There is not much you can do to stop rust after it starts. Maybe have them powder coated but that would cost as much as a new set from Auto Zone or Advanced Auto.

​Maybe I'll try cleaning them up and shooting them with clearcoat. Dunno.

Problematic issue. You can try navel jelly and see if that works. Clear coat will help, but the minute you put a socket on there its going to chip off the clear. Powder-coat does same thing. They do make some "no mar" type sockets that help.

Good nuts are expensive.

You can clean them up and clear them but as mentioned, when you go to put them back on the clear (or powder coat) will chip and then they will end up looking even worse in a short time.

The ones I have on my truck are now 4 years old and still look like the day I bought them, and they do have to deal with Wisconsin winter snow and an unlimited supply of road salt and off roading in mud, sand and dirt come summer. But they were expensive.

Along bongobobny's line of thought, I use a product called Eezox for rust protection of anything metallic. It's a gun product but works well on any metal prone to corrosion.

Clean them up with a rust remover(naval jelly, aircraft stripper, etc) and treat them with Eezox. It's not a hard coating so it won't chip away, but it will need to be re applied periodically.

Or just suck it up and by the expensive stainless steel or chromoly lug nuts.

$0.02

Just go get the expensive ones.

All that fiddling around with things that may or may not work. You're gonna wind up buying another set anyway. I'm fairly certain the centrifugal force is going to sling off whatever kind of spray coating your try.

Get the good ones and be done with it.