IGNORED

Amzoil 20w-50

Since my 1st gen is not a V twin I tried the Amsoil 10W-40 which is the recommended weight for the engine. It worked fine except that all the seals started to leak. Next oil change I switched back to the old oil and the leaks stopped. I have tried several brands of synthetics in my 1st gen. They all leak, Dino oil does not leak.

I been running it for years in both of the bikes with no problem. Sold my 2006 venture and it was all it ran on after breaking it in on stock oil. My 1986 venture runs great on it with no problems' either. Neither of the bikes had oil leaks and still running it in my 86 Yamaha trike.

But it is up to you what you want to run

Hope this helps

I ran the 20w50 in my 2nd gen in summer down here in Fla. I did a lot of longer type trips say 80-100 miles back and forth one way to the airport for work. In the 90+ heat I felt the weight would not hurt it. So see if you can find oil recommendations for you bike. I am going to say if the constant ambient temp is under 90 the 50 may be to heavy. I was happy with Rotella T6 which is a 15w40 I think. Amsol should have something in the lighter weight that works for you if you want to go the Amsoil route. There are other synthetics out there that cost a bit less. But I know some folks are happy with those products and are on a deal of some sort.

86 Trike?? No PICS???LOL!!! I've used Castrol 20/50 for a lot of years and never a oil related problem. Pick a good oil (there are a bunch) and change it as you should!! Don't like what you are putting it in?? Don't change it you won't have it long!!!

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.......CHANGE IT!!! CHANGE IT AS YOU SHOULD!!

As long as the oil you use matches all of the designations in your owners manual, I do not think their is such a thing as a "bad" oil out there. If there was they would be out of business in very short order.

That does not mean that some oils are not better than others in some specific applications. But there is a good chance your bike will not know the difference.

As long as the oil you use matches all of the designations in your owners manual, I do not think their is such a thing as a "bad" oil out there. If there was they would be out of business in very short order.

That does not mean that some oils are not better than others in some specific applications. But there is a good chance your bike will not know the difference.

Exactly. :sign yeah that:

Anyone tried the Amzoil 20w-50 (V Twin) in their 1st Generation bike?
From what I have heard Amsoil is a good oil that is on the expensive side. The V-twin designation likely refers to being able to stand extreme the temperatures generated by air cooled antiques. Rotella T dino has been proven to work very well over the years, decades, and is relatively inexpensive so unless you are dedicated to :mo money:then it is the logical choice.

Every time you visit a motorcycle site the subject of oil comes up. Myself I use Rotella T 15-40 in my cars ,trucks and bikes. You can spend your money on so-call bike oils but tests have proven mc oils are no better than good quality car oils. Oil change at 3-4000 miles is the key.

From what I understand, you shouldn't run oil that long in motorcycles with a wet clutch because the clutch contaminates the oil. So, those extended miles recommended oils don't apply to motorcycles as I understand. And then there is that recommendation not to use car oils because the energy conservation additives might cause the clutch to slip. Then if I remember correctly, Cowpuc runs the cheapest oil he can find in his 200k plus mile Ventures. So here we go again, an oil thread!

Dan, you know not. We're talking oil this could go on for Days. I'm probably gonna order out for Pizza and hit the fridge for beer tonight.:beer::banana:

My only question is cant car oil mess up the clutch?

I have american blended whiskey if this goes on thru the night after kids go to bed I will get out my shot glass...

My only question is cant car oil mess up the clutch?

I have american blended whiskey if this goes on thru the night after kids go to bed I will get out my shot glass...

Only if it has Friction Modifiers in it.

Pour one for me. I'm about out of George Dickel.

Nice looking 86 Keith. I have been thinking of leaving the Castrol for something I wouldn't have to change so often but the Castrol 20/50 works great in these things. Several 100,000 miles and never a oil related problem. It gets along well with our wet clutches. Now that I think about it I'm probally gonna go grab another jug of Castrol 20/50 for that 99...... its got 5k on that Mobile Racing 4T Synthetic stuff. Synthetics supposed to last a lot longer?? That 99 has more miles on the oil than I care to go because it had the Mobile. It will have New oil before it comes out of the garage.