IGNORED

Giving up riding

rosebud

We hate to do this, but we decided that it's time to stop riding. Phil had triked out his venture before he had retired so that he was ready for retirement. And we had a couple of great years with incredible trips on the trike. But the last two years have been a different story - last year Phil had knee trouble and didn't ride very much just a couple of hour rides through out the entire year. He waited 7 months to fit into the doctors schedule for knee replacement surgery and finally had surgery the end of Feb this year. He's been back on the trike, but just not enjoying it the same as he did before. Getting on the bike is hard for him, but getting off is very difficult, so it just seems like it's time to let it go and hopefully someone else can enjoy it as much as we have.

We have loved this group and all the knowledge shared, and support that each and everyone of you give. I suspect that we will remain behind the scenes reading about rides and trips that everyone shares. And if you're interested in the tike - check the classifieds.

Thanks for everything -

Diane & Phil

(Rosebud & NewTrk)

Well, I for one can understand! I am realizing that my years left riding are limited, and Becky will not do long trips anymore. That being said, there is no reason for you to leave the site! I vaguely remember meeting you two I think many years ago, probably at an International Rally or something.

Let me know how easy/hard it is to sell the Hannigan, it will be good information for me in the future. Hopefully, I will be riding for a few years yet, but who knows what tomorrow holds...

Something that sadly comes to most of us I guess.

We are limited on the trips we can do, I have back & neck problems my wife has back problems since being rear ended four years ago.

Just really pi$$es me off that someone else's carelessness has effectively ruined a large part of our retirement enjoyment. :(

Wishing you luck on four wheels & hope you sell your trike easily.

It has been two years since I have even tried to start my Venture. A few years ago I could not imagine getting off my bike and even upgraded many things on the bike. But, when Linda confessed to me that she was getting less and less comfortable on the bike, especially from a safety standpoint, I had to evaluate my feelings also. Then, I found a nice Miata for her birthday and enjoyed it so much that I got me one, then my son got one and then my grandson got one(we all have 1st gen Ventures too).

I considered trikeing the 1500 Goldwing I have, but when I started looking at cost, I could buy a couple of nice Miatas. They are fun, easy to work on and in many ways, like a Venture. Sometimes it takes being realistic on what works best for you when you go thru the maturing process and some folks really don't mature mentally fast enough and it can get them hurt real bad and when you get older, healing up is even worse.

I admire you for being able to make this decision and I appreciate you sharing your feelings about it. It could get others to think about their situation and it may even save their life.

OH, and today we jumped in my Miata and rode over to the Blue Ridge Parkway and with this cool spell that has moved in, the views were clear and you could see for many miles. It was a beautiful day. And, when it started getting cool coming across the mountains, we rolled the windows up and turned on the heater.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

WOWZY Rosey,, this is sooooo compelling!! First off,, CONGRATS on having the wisdom to know when its time - DEFINITELY not an easy thing to face but DEFINITELY wise to face it and do what needs to be done = move on to the next phase and keep on enjoying life!!

The real compelling part of your story - for us anyway, is Tip and I have been discussing this A LOT lately.. I am still pretty weak from dealing with the removal of my Prostate, Bladder sections and other parts due to cancer and am still testing the waters of how far my recovery of major fatigue is gonna go.. I am definitely not close to where I was a couple years ago when I could ride 16 hours straight no problem - tiredness now just comes out of no where.. Problem with touring on a scoot like that is ya just cant stop and lay down and sleep during the middle of day when its 105 degrees outside.. Triking is certainly no way shape or form in our destiny so,, whats the answer..

For us I think a small 4x4 pickup with a bed in the back under a topper, window A.C. with a Genny mounted on hitch mounted deck on the front of the truck (so its not right next to our heads) may be the answer... We LOVE the West and, although we have done a TON of off roading on our Venture's, would LOVE to find out what is over the mountains in places like Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona and New Mexico on all those two tracks we were unable to tour on our bike.. It is becoming apparent that being able to lie down and sleep at any given moment is probably going to be a way of life for us and thinking the little 4x4 may just foot the bill for being able to do so and not loose track of the love Tip and I share for our great countries western states.. I/we,, like you folks,, are somewhat familiar with the waters on which we are about to tread as I had to give up a lifetime of dirt bike riding a number of years ago due to a spinal cord injury and turn my focus strickly to CTFW on the street.. From that experience I can assure you folks that, IMHO, it really does not matter what you ride/drive in your excursions, what matters most is that the two of you continue to enjoy sharing moments of time doing something you both love and continue writing your life story together.. We sure plan to!!

Please stay in touch here on VR and keep us updated with stories and pictures of what ever that amounts to in your case and we will too!

Tip, Tweeksis and Puc

Oh yea,, P.S. = all the very best in selling that GORGEOUS machine of yours - WOWZY is that PRETTY!!!

sorry to hear that...

Nice looking bike, and I like to ask one thing. What is the make of the main light on the trike. Ive been looking for a daymaker type light for the front of my 08. and a set of driving lights. The only one I can find costs 300.00 by Bagger Bags. I'm sure others would fit with some modification.

Stat

Yep to most of the above.. ditto..ditto..ditto...... This has been happening to often of late as our age demographics.. Whew!! big word :-).. in Venture Riders changes. When I think back over the years most of the old guard has moved on as lifestyles change, or age catches up with us. Wildhair, Goose, Lone Eagle, Easy Rider, Eck, Rocket, HDHTR, Dark Knight, Tom, Ponch, are just a few of the names I can recall. If I reminisce and think about it I could come up with a bunch more. Miss 'm all, and now I'm going to miss youse guys too.... May the wind always be at your back, and all your stop lights be green...

Yep to most of the above.. ditto..ditto..ditto...... This has been happening to often of late as our age demographics.. Whew!! big word :-).. in Venture Riders changes. When I think back over the years most of the old guard has moved on as lifestyles change, or age catches up with us. Wildhair, Goose, Lone Eagle, Easy Rider, Eck, Rocket, HDHTR, Dark Knight, Tom, Ponch, are just a few of the names I can recall. If I reminisce and think about it I could come up with a bunch more. Miss 'm all, and now I'm going to miss youse guys too.... May the wind always be at your back, and all your stop lights be green...

Yeah What Jack said. Been some good times.:Avatars_Gee_George:

WOWZY Rosey,, this is sooooo compelling!! First off,, CONGRATS on having the wisdom to know when its time - DEFINITELY not an easy thing to face but DEFINITELY wise to face it and do what needs to be done = move on to the next phase and keep on enjoying life!!

The real compelling part of your story - for us anyway, is Tip and I have been discussing this A LOT lately.. I am still pretty weak from dealing with the removal of my Prostate, Bladder sections and other parts due to cancer and am still testing the waters of how far my recovery of major fatigue is gonna go.. I am definitely not close to where I was a couple years ago when I could ride 16 hours straight no problem - tiredness now just comes out of no where.. Problem with touring on a scoot like that is ya just cant stop and lay down and sleep during the middle of day when its 105 degrees outside.. Triking is certainly no way shape or form in our destiny so,, whats the answer..

For us I think a small 4x4 pickup with a bed in the back under a topper, window A.C. with a Genny mounted on hitch mounted deck on the front of the truck (so its not right next to our heads) may be the answer... We LOVE the West and, although we have done a TON of off roading on our Venture's, would LOVE to find out what is over the mountains in places like Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona and New Mexico on all those two tracks we were unable to tour on our bike.. It is becoming apparent that being able to lie down and sleep at any given moment is probably going to be a way of life for us and thinking the little 4x4 may just foot the bill for being able to do so and not loose track of the love Tip and I share for our great countries western states.. I/we,, like you folks,, are somewhat familiar with the waters on which we are about to tread as I had to give up a lifetime of dirt bike riding a number of years ago due to a spinal cord injury and turn my focus strickly to CTFW on the street.. From that experience I can assure you folks that, IMHO, it really does not matter what you ride/drive in your excursions, what matters most is that the two of you continue to enjoy sharing moments of time doing something you both love and continue writing your life story together.. We sure plan to!!

Please stay in touch here on VR and keep us updated with stories and pictures of what ever that amounts to in your case and we will too!

Tip, Tweeksis and Puc

Oh yea,, P.S. = all the very best in selling that GORGEOUS machine of yours - WOWZY is that PRETTY!!!

Hey Puc there are all kinds of rigs out there for what your talking about. Try checking out Outback camping 4x4 vehicles or trailers on utube you'll find lots of great ideas. (The Ozzie's are nuts about this stuff!)

Check this one out that is in Florida, their asking to much but it shows one of the many ideas that are out there.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/tampa/1967/nissan/patrol-l60-S622.html

We hate to do this, but we decided that it's time to stop riding. Phil had triked out his venture before he had retired so that he was ready for retirement. And we had a couple of great years with incredible trips on the trike. But the last two years have been a different story - last year Phil had knee trouble and didn't ride very much just a couple of hour rides through out the entire year. He waited 7 months to fit into the doctors schedule for knee replacement surgery and finally had surgery the end of Feb this year. He's been back on the trike, but just not enjoying it the same as he did before. Getting on the bike is hard for him, but getting off is very difficult, so it just seems like it's time to let it go and hopefully someone else can enjoy it as much as we have.

We have loved this group and all the knowledge shared, and support that each and everyone of you give. I suspect that we will remain behind the scenes reading about rides and trips that everyone shares. And if you're interested in the tike - check the classifieds.

Thanks for everything -

Diane & Phil

(Rosebud & NewTrk)

I can totally relate to your predicament and reasoning to sell your Trike. I also have had to put my 2008 RSV/Hannigan w/Time-Out trailer and all accessories on the sales block for pretty much the same reasons. Sad to end an era, but necessary. Good Luck.

Add me to the list, traded my 2004 venture/ 2012 hannigan trike kit on a 2012 honda SRV-EXL. It just wasn't all that much fun anymore. This is the first time since 1991 that I don't have a MC of some kind in my garage.

I sure will still hang around here and dream of good times past.

Ride safe every one.

From A MC friend: BigBob

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and messages! We have made great friends here over the years that are not going to get rid of us.

Statussymbol - check out Amazon.com for the headlight. Phil amazes me with the random things that shows up on my cart.

Bongobobny, we met in person at B2 mom & dad's last fish fry.

Really sorry to see another of the old guard have to climb down off their steed :Cartoon_397:. But having had a relationship on and/or off line is far better than never having had one at all specially with this crowd :bighug:. No need to leave the site though, as we have all become more then just common venture owners. Many as you well know have formed friendships and bonds and mutual interests :fnd_(16)::essen_018::essen_024: that go beyond the site and for that I for one am grateful this site came to be. All thanks to some guy called flea bird or was it tree bird or was it bee herd oh wait maybe it was Tea Nerd nope no I think ...:detective:........:think:.......wait I got it @Freebird. :confused24: So hopefully the fine tradition on this site continues. Like many here I do miss a lot of the old members from way back when, :buttkick: but at the same time enjoy meeting many of the new and upcoming members :biker:. In the meantime enjoy your Mi ti's :doh:oh sorry I mean Miata's (but not both at the same time.:no-no-no:

Edited by saddlebum

• 2 months later...

Giving up riding.:95::Avatars_Gee_George:

Sad day to finally say that you are done. Like I noted earlier, my Venture was a very big part of my life. But, I also know that with putting 150,000 miles on it and having some very scary close calls, I know I was very lucky. I also feel lucky that I have been able to channel much of the fun and adventure over into the Miatas. Yeah, there are times I miss my bike, but it was time and I know it and you do too, and you know what, that is not always a bad thing.

Just because you are not riding does not mean we shouldn't get together sometime. :beer:

Randy