IGNORED

Charging Problem - Opinions please

A friend called with a problem with his 99 RSV. He just replaced the battery and went for a ride, parked all okay. Then went for another ride today and when he stopped and tried to restart the bike it would not crank over, and the trip odometers reset to zero. Waited 10 minutes and it started.

The battery measured 12.08 volts. tried to start it and it cranked over very slow and did not start. Voltage dropped to approx. 6 volts and then started clicking. After charging it for a bit it started. Voltage measure 12.08, when we reved it up it would only get to 12.4

We cleaned the ground wire on the engine. SO now what to check ?

Manual says to check the stator by checking ohms.

1. Where do you check this ?
  2. Do you have to pull the cover ?
  3. Where does the wire go to check the ends of the leads ?
  4. If this is okay what next bad rectifier ?
  5. Can you check this to make sure it is working without replacing it ?

Anything else to check would be appreciated ??

Brad

Hey Brad, why did he replace the Battery ?

I don't know much about the Locationa on the 2Gens, but you look out for a three Wire Connector, all the Wires with the same Color. Might be white or yellow Wires.

The Wire comes out from the rear Stator Cover. You don't need to dismount the Cover to check the Stator. Once you found the Connector, you can check it per Manual for Resistance and/or you can measure the three Wires against each other and should read 15 Volts AC !! on all three Measurements when the Motor runs on Idle. When you check each Wire against Ground, there should be no Voltage.

Checking the Charging System involves to undo all related Connectors, which are basically the three Wire Connector, the Connector of the R/R and the Ground Connection of the R/R. Check them for Corrosion and if so, use a Contact Cleaner and give them a Bath. After blowing the Fluid away, reconnect them with dielectric Grease applied.

Sounds like the Regulator Rectifier to me, but there is a way that you can check the stator on the bike. The disconnect plug is right in by the battery and fuel filter, in that jumbled wire mess behind the center cover that the side battery covers hook to. You can disconnect it there and check the ohms if I'm not mistaken.

The regulator is down under the radiator behind the right lower fairing. Plug is on the bottom of the unit, disconnect it and check it with a different one. I'd be will ing to bet that it's the regulator....I'm pretty familiar with that charging system :whistling:

If a new battery is put in and not charged properly it can have ill effects on the RSV. The charging system is not designed to recharge a depleted battery, but to maintain a batterys charge.

Here is a PDF of the Charging System. Hope it helps.

Didn't we have a post here, not too long ago, that said something about charging problems and it turned out to be that the rectifier connector was just dirty and needed a good cleaning. Might try that.

Yea, I had that problem, along with a bad rectifier/regulator. But in my case the stator was charging properly. My charging was in the 13-14 range. That stator wire can be located from the right side of the bike. I removed the right and left side battery cover and center cover, seat, and overflow tank, which gave me access to the connector. Look down into the space, its located fairly low in the opening. Now, on my 99 the connector was so grease caked that I thought it was a rubber hose. I was finally able to clean it all off, disconnect the connector, and spray it clean with electrical connection cleaner from Radio Shack. Once dry, I lubed it with dialectric grease and snapped the connection back together. Be careful as that connector may be brittle.

My new battery also had a weak cell and the dealer swapped it out for me.

By thew way, Sports Plaza www.ysppart.com had the best prices on the parts I needed and quick shipping.

Ok, Update: Thanks for all the info guys.

Took the rectifier off and checked the ohms, it came in at 0.8. Then I found the connector by the battery and yes it was full of oil runoff and road grime. Cleaned that up and put it back together.Took it for a ride then Retested the ohms and still got 0.8, but now it is running just around 13.2v. Increased the reves but did not go up to 14v.

So I might still have a problem somewhere.

Hal

Glad to hear you got it fixed, that's about right for the volts. Once the battery is completely charged then you will see the full voltage reading.

My concern would be where the oil came from that got into the connector. Sounds like it could be being blown from the crank case, if that's the case the bike is being over filled on oil changes.

When I put mine all back together after that Electrosport disaster, I didn't get but 13.8 on the charge. I would have liked to see 14.2 but that didn't happen, this is after I soldered the stator wires together and had a new Factory Yamaha regulator installed. So I said to hell with it, threw caution into the wind and rode it like I hated it (at the time I did)

BTW...you could have said that it was Hal and I would have called him :buttkick:

Yes it seems better and hoping this is all it was. I still thought it should read about 14 volts at the battery ?

Brad

What is the temperature where the bike is at when you are taking these readings? I can't remember what temp the carb heaters come on, I think it's 65 and go off at 73. If the temp is below that or anywhere near it then you are not going to read 14V at the battery. To test that you would have to pull the fuse which is located inside the right lower shroud.

In the winter on my digital battery meter I never see over 13.8 volts even traveling down the highway unless I turn off my passing lamps. Then it might get up to 14V. That's why I have pulled the fuse for the carb heaters. I see no reason to have them where I live.

BTW...you could have said that it was Hal and I would have called him

:buttkick:

Well how many friends do you think I have :rotf:, besides thought your phone is not allowed to call Canada anymore :stirthepot::think::sign20:

What is the temperature where the bike is at when you are taking these readings? I can't remember what temp the carb heaters come on, I think it's 65 and go off at 73. If the temp is below that or anywhere near it then you are not going to read 14V at the battery. To test that you would have to pull the fuse which is located inside the right lower shroud.

I suggested that as well, not sure if he pulled the fuse or not forgot to ask. Temp was about 20c plus or minus a couple. (68F). Thanks

Brad

Hi all. Something that needs to be mentioned here is that this is a regulated charging system. It will only charge at it's maximum output if there is a need. For example; if the battery is in a full state of charge and accessories are not being used, the charging system will only put out in approx. the 13 volt range no matter how high you rev the engine. If the battery is in a partly discharged state and accessories are being used, then the charging voltage will be indicating toward the high end of the charging systems limit. To obtain a maximum output reading from the charging system the regulator needs to be bypassed.

Regards;

Rod.