IGNORED

Big Red for salvage

yamagrl

In looking at the obvious damage, much could be fixed with upgrades. The area around the headlight damage is a good opportunity to upgrade to an MKII headlight assembly. This is a big lighting improvement. If the forks are bent, good time to pick up some MKII forks, rotors and R6 or R1 calipers. Big improvement in brakes. If the trunk bottom is broke, this a good time to put a plate under the trunk and stiffens it up a lot.

I have done all these upgrades on my 83 already and recommend them highly.

Randy

I agree with Venturous Randy, and I would also "beg" the insurance company not to issue a salvage title. It is not in their interest to try to repair or find an equivalent bike, and you don't need the hassle of trying to get a rebuilt title. After looking at the pictures, and talking with you about other parts bikes you have, you could be riding BR again without a lot of work.

Most of the comments on the forum want you to rebuild Big Red, so go get him and park him out of the weather, get well, and go riding.

I vote Big Red rides again! :biker:

Yeah what they said Heather there isn't much damage to this bike nor was there to you. I just can not see this bike being parted out. It just wouldn't feel right to be honest. Also it is hard to get insurance in Missouri for salvage title bikes, many won't even give you a quote if its salvaged and my opinion I do not see salvage here. Now that I see it all on my computer, However I like the jet.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I don't know about other states, but in VA when Kitty bought back her own wrecked bike from the insurance, the title was not marked as salvage. Since she just settled for the difference, the title never changed hands. Once the insurance takes possession, then the title gets marked as salvage.

I THINK she can just settle for the difference and move on. But maybe not.

I would like to know more about the chrome trim in the area where the engine louvers normally go. I got some chrome panels with a parts bike I was told would blank this area, but then found them to be too small. However, they look to just fit into the area that is remaining with the pieces you have installed. It seems we each have half of a whole.

I don't know about other states, but in VA when Kitty bought back her own wrecked bike from the insurance, the title was not marked as salvage. Since she just settled for the difference, the title never changed hands. Once the insurance takes possession, then the title gets marked as salvage.

I THINK she can just settle for the difference and move on. But maybe not.

I would like to know more about the chrome trim in the area where the engine louvers normally go. I got some chrome panels with a parts bike I was told would blank this area, but then found them to be too small. However, they look to just fit into the area that is remaining with the pieces you have installed. It seems we each have half of a whole.

That was an aftermarket item available on the MK1 only,the MK1 did not have the louvers. The chrome inserts were actually a two part deal which completely covered the opening if you used both parts, or looked like Heathers if you only used the one piece. Using one or two pieces sort of acted like having your louvers either open or closed. They can sort of be MacGuiver'ed to work on the MK2 but not easily and you loose your louvers...

The engine covers are different between the MK1 and MK2 but are interchangeable sort of.

Hey don't give up on big red yet. My 87 kept getting knocked over by other people damaging the plastic body parts. Because the cost of new body parts from Yamaha were so expensive the insurance company would total the bike and pay me off never asking for the bike or the title. On five occasions I would pocket the money fix the plastic, repaint and put it back on the road since there was never any structural or mechanical damage. The last time they paid me $6,800 to settle since the attorney for the insurance company was the one that hit the bike apparently drunk while it was parked on the opposite side of the road.

Counting all five times I was paid off on it that bike made me more than $25k in insurance proceed.

Hey don't give up on big red yet. My 87 kept getting knocked over by other people damaging the plastic body parts. Because the cost of new body parts from Yamaha were so expensive the insurance company would total the bike and pay me off never asking for the bike or the title. On five occasions I would pocket the money fix the plastic, repaint and put it back on the road since there was never any structural or mechanical damage. The last time they paid me $6,800 to settle since the attorney for the insurance company was the one that hit the bike apparently drunk while it was parked on the opposite side of the road.

Counting all five times I was paid off on it that bike made me more than $25k in insurance proceed.

Wow! You have a knack for knowing exactly where to park it!:banana::stickpoke:

I keep saying "Somebody ought to snatch it up!"

Rachel said if I get rid of the bikes I can buy a small airplane.

I'm thinking about something like this Microjet 200 for toolin' around on weekends...Whatcha think?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107874

I think that now you are talkin my language.:thumbsup:

Hey Heather,

I now have a vehicle with a trailer hitch. If we can arrange a trailer I will be glad to help you get Big Red from Nashville to Pensacola. Don't let big red go before talking to me even if you didn't refurbish it you could still make at least four times the value by parting it out.

That was an aftermarket item available on the MK1 only,the MK1 did not have the louvers. The chrome inserts were actually a two part deal which completely covered the opening if you used both parts, or looked like Heathers if you only used the one piece. Using one or two pieces sort of acted like having your louvers either open or closed. They can sort of be MacGuiver'ed to work on the MK2 but not easily and you loose your louvers...
That's an interesting historical tidbit. :D

My 90 had a few of the louvers missing so I left it that way for a while and then decided to remove just the louvers leaving the housing installed. My 89 had perfect louvers and shortly after I got it I removed the whole insert so they would not get lost. The 89 was close to perfect condition and I had the intention to keep it completely stock. Turned out I liked the look of no louvers better, thought it looked cleaner and liked the glimpse of the engine. With respect to heat issues, our rather bland climate did not require closing the area off.

Thanks for Info.

Being in South Texas now, I have the current broken louvers duct taped off. Was looking forward to blocking them off.

If I confirm they will not work easily, they will be for sale.

The engine covers are different between the MK1 and MK2 but are interchangeable sort of.

Unlikely. I told the insurance company that I was not going to recover the MC and I have paperwork to go in FedEx tomorrow. If someone wants it they need to do the deal by 8am tomorrow or it will be too late

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Unlikely. I told the insurance company that I was not going to recover the MC and I have paperwork to go in FedEx tomorrow. If someone wants it they need to do the deal by 8am tomorrow or it will be too late

:95:,,, but SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad your ok Heather!!

You certainly put a lot of yourself into Big Red. It's a shame you are letting him go. But, if you are giving up riding after your accident, I can for sure understand.

That is a real shame, My bike was damaged worse than that in 2007 they gave me just over $6K for it, they had no book value on it so they went by the asking price of a few bikes that were posted in sales ad's. I then I bought it back for $220.00 and restored it. Once I was done, It looked better after the accident than before. Edited by saddlebum