IGNORED

I need a bike for the road

Aladinbama

First off, Hi! Interesting place you have here.

I'm looking for a good cruising touring type bike. I used to have a Goldwing 1500, but wasn't into cross country yet and most of my riding was local metro commuting and it was just too big and heavy. I got rid of it and bought a Honda ST1100. I love it!

I'll be retiring soon and want a bike for the road. I plan on riding around and seeing what I can get into. I'd consider a Goldwing 1800, but owners are very proud of their bikes and don't seem to want to sell them for a decent price. I happened upon a Royal Venture and it looked appealing and seemed much more affordable. Is there anything I need to know before Venturing into this land (pun intended)? The ones I'm currently pricing are in the 2004-2007 range at @6K. What do I need to know?

TIA, Tom

I just bought my 89 Venture Royale in August with 37000 miles and I absolutely love it. It's not exactly what you are looking for but you shouldn't turn one down based solely on the model year. It looks great and runs like nobody's business. It will probably get me my first ticket just because it is smooth and you really don't realize how fast you are going. :cop:

Second Gens run from 99 to 2014. Way to much info available here to try and list it again. Look for rear shock leakin or pogo stick effect. They are known to go bad. Replacement thru Hagon for around $500 and about an hours work. Clutch whine on some models in 4th and 5th gear @ cruise speeds.

Yah! The most major thing that will eventually go wrong is the rear shock will spring a leak. Do not replace with stock Yamaha, replace with Hagon or Works. Other weak point is the charging system, but you do NOT have to pull the engine to replace the stator like you do have to with a 'Wing. Engine wise they are pretty much bullet proof and have been known to last up to 300,000 miles without an overhaul. As with any bike, they just need regular periodic maintenance.

Word of caution, they are a big top heavy bike, their low speed manners leave a little to be desired, but that can be improved on with a slightly smaller front tire and raising the shocks up further into the triple tree which in essence lowers the front of the bike. Once you get used to just how the bike handles you will most likely love it! They are one of the most comfortable touring bikes out there, especially for the money!

Just like ANY bike, you won't know if it is the right bike for you until you swing a leg over and set on it and ride it a little...

Tom, If your interested we are having a maintenance day this coming weekend ( Saturday) about 40 minutes South of you in Sweeny Tx.

There will be several ventures First and Second generation bikes and some others here and very knowledgeable owners to talk with.

Here is a link to the calendar site http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=478&day=2016-10-15&c=1

Please sign up if you plan to come down.

Here is a link to the original forum post. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?122882-SE-texas-Maintenance-day&p=987578#post987578

Hope to see you here. :7_6_3[1]:

Tom, If your interested we are having a maintenance day this coming weekend ( Saturday) about 40 minutes South of you in Sweeny Tx.

There will be several ventures First and Second generation bikes and some others here and very knowledgeable owners to talk with.

Here is a link to the calendar site http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=478&day=2016-10-15&c=1

Please sign up if you plan to come down.

Here is a link to the original forum post. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?122882-SE-texas-Maintenance-day&p=987578#post987578

Hope to see you here. :7_6_3[1]:

Thanks for the invite! It will definitely be considered!

Hi Tom,

First off :welcome1::group cheers: to VR!!

Gotta agree with you, this is one interesting place! Lots of great folks with a tons of knowledge about scoots, especially the Ventures but certainly not limited to the Yamaha line.. Dont be afraid to ask about other brands too = all welcome!! :thumbsup:

Noticing you are from the great state of Texas? You might want to check our classifieds (found here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/ ) as I am almost sure you will find one in there well below your price range. By forum rules we are not suppose to openly sell here in the Water Hole but I can tell you this, those scoots that are posted in there are scoots that belong to supporting members here, just that fact helps A LOT cause you KNOW you are not being scammed..

A quick over view of that classified section. 4th line down = 1st Gen Complete Bikes. Those are the early model scoots with fixed fairings. Lots of us are still riding em and those old scoots hold a lot of passion around here even though they are old (like some of the lop eared varmints around here). GREAT bikes but not without their own little quirks BUT total recall about ANY of those quirks can easily be found here on the site.

5th line down is the 2nd Gen Complete Bike section. These are the later model Venture that has the Bat Wing fairing. You might want to look closely in there as I am sure there is one for sale in Texas well below your price range of 6k.. 6th line down is the "RSTD" line and this is the "cruiser Venture" with no fairing but a removable windshield. There are no bikes for sale in that section just for your info.. If you need more info on which is which you can also click on the "History" tab found on the top line of this page or,, if you wanna have some real fun - just post up any questions you have here in the Water Hole and we would be glad to talk your ear off:big-grin-emoticon:.

Any way,, wanted to say HOWDY from the great state of Michigan and wish you all the best in finding your next steed!!

Puc

Yamaha gave them a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty from 1999 production through 2013 production. Didn't see any other manufacturers do that. They are bullet-proof as they come. Bad fuel mileage @ 85-90mph @ 31mpg on the interstate. But golly will they fly.

Im pretty new here also, not many miles on my 89 yet but I had only to throw a leg over it to know its more comfy than a wing for my lanky build so I brought it home. Ive had a Vmax long enough to gain a healthy respect for the Yamaha V4.im not sure where you can get a better distance bike without spending quite a bit more.

Tom

If you make it down for the maintenance day I got a 87 Royale you can try out. I've got a friend close who wanted to sell his. I believe his is a early 90's with several upgrades.

The 1st gens are tall top heavy bikes. If your not a 6 footer or better it may not be the bike for you. I ride mine more often than I take my GL1800.

See Ya around.

Tom,

I own both generations of the Ventures. Each one has its own unique personality. My 89 1st gen Venture Royale is a solid sport touring bike. Handles and goes like a sport bike but wonderfully comfortable for long distance touring. You sit upright in this top heavy scoot. It goes so fast, so quickly... Scares the pudding out of me at times!

My 05 Royal Star Venture is made to do one thing... Ride forever cruising countries without breathing hard. She is slower than her 1st gen cousin due to being heavier and having a set of overdrive gears in 4th and 5th. Her seating position is more like a cruiser. Her high speed handling is like a rock... Steady. Her low speed handling is ponderous. But as Bongo said... I lowered the front end and it made a nice difference!!

I love both bikes..... And both are about as maintenance free as you can get on a scoot. They run forever.

So hopefully you can get down to the MD and look them both over. You will find the RSV to be more comfortable than the Wing... And fast enough to keep you smiling as long as you remember these are not V Twins. These v4's love to rev!!

Good luck in your search...

david

IMG_20150827_083425_081.jpgIMG_20150814_081103_331.jpg

Edited by videoarizona

Well, I'm going to look at a 91 tomorrow. It has relatively low miles, but may have been kept under a cover under a porch.

The price could be right, so we'll see!

AWESOME!!!:thumbsup:

Bama,, if the scoot has been setting for a while (actually - I would do this regardless) might not be a bad idea to start it up from cold, let it warm till it will idle and then spit check the headers to make sure its running on all four.. These V-4's will run remarkably well on 3 cylinders and, especially to someone new to them, can be very deceptive in detecting if they are running 100%. Just dampen your finger tip and test each header like your testing a hot iron. Depending on asking price for the one you are looking at, a carb job can be a pretty good place to dicker = I would deduct a couple hundred bucks if its only hittin on 3.. Also, common to the 1st Gens, are sacked fork springs. Relieve any air pressure in the forks and make sure you have a good 2 inches of travel in the springs. Easily repairable (and VERY common to need them) = Set of Progressive Springs that will run you around 100 bucks..

A good running 1st Gen MK2 should easily see 200k miles and 300k if ya take care of it.. THEY ARE SWEET SCOOTS, hope it works out for you!!:thumbsup:

Puc

PS = if you get it = :photographing:'s are mandatory around here (gotta a few lop eared varmints here that cant read:big-grin-emoticon:)

That number would probably be dependent on parts needed (if it needs slide diaphrams = kinda pricey) and whether or not you are removing the carbs from the scoot and just bringing in the carb bank in or if the shop has to do that too.. Also, there are getting to be more and more shops (at least in my area) that refuse to work on older scoots (especially mainstream dealerships). You might make a few phone calls and get some info but my guess is going to 200 to 500 off the scoot depending on parts and 400 to 750 on the scoot...

Can always have the fun of doing it yourself = TONS of info around this joint PLUS I have recently watched a couple complete Carb rebuilds on video someone posted up on here.. Another alternative is picking up a set of carbs off e-bay - problem with that is that even though the ad may say "ready to go" you are still subject to private interpretation to what exactly that means :missingtooth:

:lightbulb:@Micarl runs a bike shop,, be interesting to hear his thoughts on this.. :thumbsup:

Well, to have someone competent do it I would say between $800 to $1200 fo0r a COMPLETE rebuild with new parts and setup to include syncing and mixture fine tuning. To do it yourself properly figure on around $400 worth of parts to make brand new again. There is an excellent DVD out there on rebuilding them...

Now, there is a very interesting viable alternative here

http://roadstercycle.com/yamaha_vmax_fuel_injector_cv_car.htm

What makes you think the carbs need rebuilding?? Chances are if the bike sat for years they probably do, but hey, you never know, maybe a good dose of Seafoam and drive it like you stole it may be all that's needed. Syncing the carbs is actually quite easy with the proper tool like a Morgan Carbtune...

Originally you were looking for a 2nd Gen, weren't you? Now you are looking at 1st Gens which are a complete different animal from the 2nd gen.

Here's the deal; I went to look at the 91 today. It actually only had 37K on the clock and looked fine (mostly, it has been stored under a cover for the last 6 or 7 months so it could sue a good cleaning).

Most of the electronics seemed to function (didn't get to check the cruise). After looking at it, pretty much all the fluids need replacing - oil, brake/clutch. It failed the sizzle test on the right front exhaust and sounded like it was lumbering so it was definitely running on three if not two cylinders (didn't check the rear engine exhaust). As I test rode it, issues began. The owner put in fresh gas last night over whatever was already in the tank and my guess is that complicated whatever carb issues already existed. It ran for about 6 or so blocks and then began spitting and sputtering eventually dying out. At that point it would start with the choke and run, but not take any kind of load - it just died if you gave it any gas and/or tried to go running on the choke. Additionally, it wouldn't run at all without the choke. Fortunately, I noticed all this early and started back towards the owners house - almost made it.

Anyway, I'm thinking rebuilding the carbs, syching them, and fluid changes and some general TLC and it should be good to go. It has a sad story attached regarding the owner and has sat since Feb/March, having been run only a few times for any length of time. It was only run once a week or so before then. They were asking just under $2,000 before today. As is I'm thinking about $6 to $800 at most. Am I out of line here? That might save them some additional trouble.

Also, it shows a wet weight of just 50+/- lbs. over my ST1100 (which is supposed to be a top heavy bike) - it sure feels a LOT heavier than that! lol! Just an observation!

Personally, I think your thought on value is about right.. That said though, unless you are considering doing the work yourself - I wonder if you would not be better off to toss the xtra cash for repair in up front and get a good running scoot to begin with.. It is really easy to get in deep dollar wise if you gotta pay labor costs every time you need something IMHO.

These big ol Ventures are DEFINITELY heavier than your ST!! With these things the trick to survival = if it gets to far over in a standing lean is for all hands to ABANDON SHIP :sign67: and never get your leg under it when she sinks:rotf: