IGNORED

Saw a Hyosung Today

T.J.

2004 Hyosung Alpha Twin for sale.

6000 miles $1700.00

I have never heard of one let alone take a picture with my phone before.20160802_141455_resized.jpg

A lady came out and told me all about it. It was her bike and she bought it brand new. 250cc weighs 300 lbs. and a Suzuki engine.

She had foot surgery and does not want to ride any more.

Not a bad looking bike. She has the soft saddle bags for it also.

I've heard of them but don't know a lot about them except it's Chinese if I'm not mistaken. I understand that parts can be hard to get. I'm assuming you are asking about the bike because classifieds are not allowed in the watering hole. Since it's not your bike though and you didn't provide any contact information, I assume that this is about the bike and not trying to help her sell it.

Those are Korean bikes, they have been selling them around Daytona for a few years I forget which model it was they have, but it visually resembled a Harley V-Rod so much I think Harley filed a suit against them. Did not know they were using Suzuki V-twins. To me that one looks a lot like a Yamaha V-Star 250 0r 650.

I think this is the one I am thinking about, http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/hyosung/gv650-aquila/2006/

If you read the above link, the engine is a COPY of the Suzuki engine, not a Suzuki engine. Do a little research on them and their reliability before you invest your money...

Actually, before I posted this reply I did read a few reviews and for the most part they are favorable! As with the Chinese bikes parts may be difficult to find, and due to it being relatively new company their reliability has yet to be proven. 2004 was the first year of production from what I read. For a bike that old that retailed for under $4000 her price may be a little high but that is just my opinion...

Have seen a few of them buzzing around - kind of a cute little bike but I was never one to lean toward the Chinese market,, they are getting better as time goes by, IMHO, but still got a ways to go. For the money, still thinking I would go with an older Honda or Yam.. Sold a 95 VLX 600 earlier this year for 900 bucks (WOW did that sell fast) and, personally, I would go that route if l looking for a rider..

Korean? If thats the case,, maybe a little higher opinion..

Short story about the Chinese scoots.. Years ago when I had the dealership I was at the Dealer Expo in Indianapolis. The Chinese were just starting their journey into the market. They had a small room with a few Mopeds and a couple CRF50 Honda clones up in the dome. BBR had some amazing "pit bike" stuff downstairs - really classy stuff with some pretty healthy prices attached - even dealer cost was up there. There was a large group of Chinese businessmen taking lots of pictures of the BBR lineup of parts.

Got approached by a couple ladies from China when we ventured up stairs to look at the displays up there. They tried and tried to get me to sign up for a couple containers of Chinese scoots - as a dealer, you bought by the container - could mix up the inventory but you had to fill a container.. After turning them down, an employee I had with me asked why. In his mind, $90 per unit was a really good chance to make a buck.. My reply was "not if everything we sell ends up back at the shop":happy34:.

Following year those things started showing up all over the place - even "tent sales" along roadways were common. Stopped at one of those tents one day and got talking with the guy trying to sell his toys.. Said he had been at the same Expo and two containers of inventory, he had a small shop in another location but chose to use the tent sale routine to disassociate the Chinese stuff from his shop. Said he did not know it at the time but those early "Honda Clone" motors were redesigned with a "rotary" tranny that had no stop between between top gear and bottom gear - imagine trying to teach a kid learning to ride a little bike like that that if he got going in 3rd gear and pressed down one more time he was instantly in 1st gear:fiddle:.

I returned to the Expo the following winter. walked up stairs and this time the Chinese had HALF the dome filled with all kinds of scoots. Noticed they even had cloned a pit bike up with all the "BBR" look alike stuff. Got talking to them about where their prices were = up to $130 a scoot, still the "gotta buy a container full routine".. Spoke with them about the tranny design - even took them over to one of their machines to demonstrate what I was talking about. Didnt even get a raised eyebrow:confused24:..

Years have passed since all this, sold the shop before we moved here to the lake shore. Have since watched the Chinese market somewhat. Getting to be quite a few Mopeds buzzing around here - neighbors bought a couple Chinese 150 scooters and one lady actually put 4k miles on her 2012,, ran ok but was pretty noisy when she sold it and bought her Honda 600 Silver Wing (COOL SCOOT) but I was impressed it did that well - think she paid $750 for it new and resold for 400 = not bad. Her husband bought a Honda 50cc clone motored quad for their grand kids - told him to double check the tranny - seems the Chinese finally figured out the missing stop on the shift segment was not a good idea cause that was no longer an issue..

Fingers got away from me again - they love talking anything bikes almost as much as me:whistling:..

Sure looks like a copy of a VStar 650 to me...except for the tilt of the vTwin.

Interesting, for sure..

Bang shang a lang - you nailed it Vaz - when I first took a peek at that pic I was thinking "that thing looks sooooo familiar" - couldnt place why but you got it - definitely got that classic look about it!!:thumbsup:

I've heard of them but don't know a lot about them except it's Chinese if I'm not mistaken. I understand that parts can be hard to get. I'm assuming you are asking about the bike because classifieds are not allowed in the watering hole. Since it's not your bike though and you didn't provide any contact information, I assume that this is about the bike and not trying to help her sell it.

You are correct Don. Just sharing what I found on the side of the road.:)

No problem. Being as it is Korean, the quality is likely better than the Chinese scoots. There was a small independent shop right down the road from me who bought a container of Chinese 4 wheelers. He kept marking them down until he finally got rid of all of them but said never again. Quality was so bad that every single one of them came back and he couldn't get parts to repair them. He lost a good bit of money. Even things as simple as the gas lines. He said that they looked fine but as soon as you actually put gas in them, the gas lines would gum up and melt. I'm guessing that they were not designed for the Ethanol that we have in our gas.

OK so now I'm confused. You still talking about this Hyosung thing or a Harley?

Ha ha, Now there are two of us that are confused.:confused07: Never talked about no Harley in my posts:confused24: I was only verifying what Don suspected I was doing in his very first post on this subject.:)

TJ just joking around man. I bet I have not seen maybe half dozen of these things since started importing. Saw a couple of the other ones that look like the Suzuki M109, and around here there are a couple older guys that have the little 250 jobs. One guy even decks out in chaps, leather vest complete with patches etc and full face helmet. LOL Oh well to each his own.

TJ just joking around man. I bet I have not seen maybe half dozen of these things since started importing. Saw a couple of the other ones that look like the Suzuki M109, and around here there are a couple older guys that have the little 250 jobs. One guy even decks out in chaps, leather vest complete with patches etc and full face helmet. LOL Oh well to each his own.

I had driven by that bike for probably two weeks but was in my truck. Yesterday I was on the ST1300 and pulled right up by it. You can see my reflection in the chrome setting on my bike. Just couldn't figure out what kind it was till I stopped.

Glad I took the time. Talked with a guy today from India and he new it right off. Said they were very popular in East Asia.:)

Yes Larry, Jamies wife had one and the first time they brought it to Vogel, she laid it down in a turn, ended her riding days, she wont even ride with Jamie now. Hers was the 650 that resembled the V Rod, ran pretty good, their son Wes rode it to the Skid In one year and it did okay.

If memories serves me right I think someone who road with @Dragon Rider had one. Could be wrong thou.

• 9 months later...

Yes Larry, Jamie's wife had the 650 that looked a lot like the V-Rod. She laid it down on the ride to the Cherahola Skyway, it was a decent bike for the money and was pretty peppey ride.

QUOTE=Carbon_One;979219]If memories serves me right I think someone who road with Dragon Rider had one. Could be wrong thou.