IGNORED

Truck Towing Capacity

djh3

Link pops up as virus possible. But if your putting a 900lb bike in the back of a 1/2 ton your already close to load limit.

I got no warnings when I sent to that site. I saw one similar, maybe the same one, at a rally a few years ago. They demonstrated it all day and it was really nice.

I also get a warning of a malicious site and it is blocked by my Avast AV software.

I agree that by the time you get the bike into the truck along with whatever ramps or lifting device you use, and straps and tie downs, and people and fuel, there will be no capacity left for the 600 or more lbs of tongue weight in a 1/2 ton P/U. It is far better to have to much truck capacity than just a bit to little.

As mentioned earlier, there is also the legal issue, IF you should be in a crash and you are overweight, (ie running illegally) it is almost automatically your fault. The lawyers will not care what mods you have done to the truck, it is what the factory door sticker says.

To properly mod a 1/2 ton to match the strength and capacities of a 3/4 or 1 ton would cost more than to just go out and buy the one you need. Unless of course you are doing the mods just for the fun of it.

To get back on topic, if you have a long bed truck, have you thought of a bike lift for the truck bed and towing a camper trailer behind on the bumper hitch? This is the one I bought http://www.mountainmaster.net/motorcycleloadingsystem.html

This could be done with a 1/2 ton truck easily, depending on the size of the trailer.

Looks like the ramp uses the bumper hitch. So no trailer towing with that truck. Would have to tow the truck behind the motorhome like you do.

Here is a place where you can look up the tow ratings of trucks

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Barb and I are also looking for a camping rig that'll let us take the Venture with us. We looked at some toy haulers, but some do have the bike sleeping with you, and the thought of gas fumes in the trailer have just about talked us out of a toy hauler. Most of them have pretty basic living quarters also. I'd have to have one with an air tight door between the compartments. Anybody seen one? We're also looking at diesel pickups, but the newer ones with all the air pollution equipment on them have a lot of expensive parts that need frequent replacement (egr coolers, oil coolers particle screens, DPF pumps and sensors). I wish a gas engine would be strong enough because I have a low mileage E-350 with a V-10. It's rated for 10,000# and that won't be enough.

Charles---OK on your 07 stick shift 6.0. These make great tow rigs, except they have a couple of flaws that need to be addressed. By 07 they solved some of the injection issues, but the head gaskets still cause problems. I guess it stems from not having enough head bolts per cylinder to keep the heads from moving around. Here's a web site that I found that talks about all the PowerStrokes.

http://powerstrokehelp.com/

This guy seems to know a lot about PowerStrokes.

Barb and I are also looking for a camping rig that'll let us take the Venture with us. We looked at some toy haulers, but some do have the bike sleeping with you, and the thought of gas fumes in the trailer have just about talked us out of a toy hauler. Most of them have pretty basic living quarters also. I'd have to have one with an air tight door between the compartments. Anybody seen one? We're also looking at diesel pickups, but the newer ones with all the air pollution equipment on them have a lot of expensive parts that need frequent replacement (egr coolers, oil coolers particle screens, DPF pumps and sensors). I wish a gas engine would be strong enough because I have a low mileage E-350 with a V-10. It's rated for 10,000# and that won't be enough.

Charles---OK on your 07 stick shift 6.0. These make great tow rigs, except they have a couple of flaws that need to be addressed. By 07 they solved some of the injection issues, but the head gaskets still cause problems. I guess it stems from not having enough head bolts per cylinder to keep the heads from moving around. Here's a web site that I found that talks about all the PowerStrokes.

http://powerstrokehelp.com/

This guy seems to know a lot about PowerStrokes.

I am not too worried about the heads on this one. They have already been changed and my son works on them all the time. It wont be a big deal if it will need it again.

Some of our concerns are same as we have. The boss is afraid parking th bike in the living/dining are will cause fumes etc. I can agree with that. Outback is one of the ones (bumper pull) that has the front cargo area. But the steepness of the ramp in and worse yet out is a concern for unloading, so I have pretty much stayed looking at rear cargo jobs. Unless you are just dead set against a bumper pull, your E 350 should be good to go on most bumper pulls. You have to get up to about 28' I think to get into ones that have the wall between cargo and living areas. Here is a 36' that has separate cargo. Man I know there is more because I found them the other day. Danged If I can now though.

2011-05-24_16-51-49_475.jpg2011-05-24_16-52-12_247.jpg2011-05-24_16-52-42_667.jpg

this is what we use, haul the bike and when we unload the bike we blow up an over sized air mattress to sleep on. I have move the kids furniture in it a couple of times. these pictures was before I added the roof air conditioner.

Your software protection program is too tight. I use the free Microsoft Essentials and it spooled it up.

I can't get to it either.

In Avast you can define it as a false positive and they will check it out.

The actual file in question is their "favicon.ico"

In any event, better to be safe than sorry!