IGNORED

Bah Humbug!!

Moose

It's been a long cold winter here in Chicagoland and I was quite ready to ride a couple of weeks ago when the weather shot up to the 60s. Alas, I hadn't been as vigilant as I should have been and the 5 year old battery was kaput. "Well" I said, "I'll just go buy me a new one." Doh! Bought the battery, filled the fluid, put the batter on charge for the recommended 20 hours at 1.5 amps. Battery charged, replaced, bolts tightened, and... nothing. No response at all. Well that just tears it. This weekend I'm takin' it to the dealer and letting him play with it. I'm no mechanic and even if I was I just don't have the time or patience to deal with this sort of thing. No doubt it's something trivial, but it would take me two weeks to figure it out and another 2 weeks fixing the holes in the garage walls where the wrenches flew. The moral of the story: keep the *%#$@@ battery on a charger over the winter if you're too *#$@@ lazy to go out once a week and start the poor beast.

I hate winter in Illinois... and Indiana... and Michigan... and Wisconsin... and....

Moose.

I am going to take a chance here and show my ignorance:whistling:. I did the same thing when I rebuilt the Black Beast. I charged the battery, put it on and wa la, NOTHING:crying:. I called my local battery dealer, the brother-in-law, and sadly he didn't have one. I decided to jump it off just to hear it run but it wouldn't start with a jump either.:think: Now this really flustered me cause I rode it up to the garage before I started the rebuild. Here comes the good part. The lights looked good, the horn worked but NO ignition. So I did the wise thing and checked my KILL SWITCH:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:. Oh YES it was off. How can you say "I felt like an idiot"?????:confused24:

Are you getting anything when you turn the ignition on? Lights, dash, and radio? These things have problems with the ignition switch and with it sitting over the winter it's possible it corroded and is not making contact.

There is a bypass procedure for the ignition switch that might help you out.

I know it's a stupid question but it is in neutral isn't it? I have actually had my 99 show a neutral light with it in gear. It's happened sitting still and also while riding down the highway.

It could be something as simple as an interlock switch. Pull the clutch in raise the kick stand and give it a try.

No lights, no horn, no nothing. I did check the kill switch and that's not it. I didn't check to see if it was in gear -- I'll do that tonight. If the gear thing doesn't do it, I'll just bring it to the man. As for riding without rain, is that possible in Michigan?

It's been a long cold winter here in Chicagoland and I was quite ready to ride a couple of weeks ago when the weather shot up to the 60s. Alas, I hadn't been as vigilant as I should have been and the 5 year old battery was kaput. "Well" I said, "I'll just go buy me a new one." Doh! Bought the battery, filled the fluid, put the batter on charge for the recommended 20 hours at 1.5 amps. Battery charged, replaced, bolts tightened, and... nothing. No response at all. Well that just tears it. This weekend I'm takin' it to the dealer and letting him play with it. I'm no mechanic and even if I was I just don't have the time or patience to deal with this sort of thing. No doubt it's something trivial, but it would take me two weeks to figure it out and another 2 weeks fixing the holes in the garage walls where the wrenches flew. The moral of the story: keep the *%#$@@ battery on a charger over the winter if you're too *#$@@ lazy to go out once a week and start the poor beast.

I hate winter in Illinois... and Indiana... and Michigan... and Wisconsin... and....

When you say no response at all, does that mean when you turn the key on does the headlights come on? Does the dash light up?

There have been several suggestions but if you are completely dead then you must have either blown the main fuse or something going on with the switch.

If it were the kill switch, the lights would still come on. The fuel pump wouldn't work and the starter would not engage.

I agree about all the bad things you said about the weather in our area.:crying:

If it's in gear you would still have lights etc.

My money is on the ignition switch though.

Jerry

No lights, no horn, no nothing. I did check the kill switch and that's not it. I didn't check to see if it was in gear -- I'll do that tonight. If the gear thing doesn't do it, I'll just bring it to the man. As for riding without rain, is that possible in Michigan?

Well that could be a couple of things. First off I would think it's a blown main fuse or possibly the ground wire came lose on the engine. The ground wire is located where the horn on the right side of the bike mounts to the engine. When you hooked the battery up did you get the sparks as per usual?

If you have a multimeter check power across the battery posts and then turn the ignition key on and check power again. If you look back on one of my posts I had a problem at work, no power at all with the key on. Checked all the fuses they were good and then checked power across the battery and got 12.7VCD when I turned the key on it went to 0VDC in an instant. The battery was bad.

Have you tried jumping it from a car? I was able to jump start the bike with a car even though the RSV battery would go to 0VDC with the key on. I know you got a new battery, but it is possible that the battery was bad. It's a long shot but not impossible.

Hey Chuck,

Glad to see you're still around, since we haven't heard from you in a looooooooonnnggg time.:confused24:

IMHO you should look at getting a 1st gen. Mine sat in the garage from October with no charger on it and two weeks ago I went out to see if she'd start. Turned the key, gave her a little choke, hit the starter and she started right up. :)

Sorry if I make you feel bad. Want me to ride over and see if I can get yours started? :rotf::rotf:

Good luck buddy, I hope it's nothing serious.

First, let me say thanks to all of the suggestions -- the sincere ones as well as the b-busters. I really enjoyed reading them all. I even went out to the garage yesterday after work hoping that the problem was just me being dumb enough to not have it in gear. As it turned out, I didn't have it in gear. My heart lept and I made the proper adjustment and then....nothing. No lights, no nothing. I'm going to play with it this weekend and see if it' s maybe the battery or a fuse, or wire. If it's none of those things I'll tow it to the dealer and let him fix it. The guy's expensive and slow, but reliable so if I have to go that route at least it will be done right.

Now then, to my Hoosier buddies: that's a right nice offer from you guys. I'm usually a little bit shy about asking for, or accepting help, but if you guys are serious about riding over to take a look at the beast, I'll be happy to fill the cooler and heat the grill. Cindi is off this weekend and would enjoy having a couple of other guys to make fun of. And of course, there would be that whole reunion thing between Thor and Binky....

Just give me a call at 708-373-9242 if you decide to come.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

First, let me say thanks to all of the suggestions -- the sincere ones as well as the b-busters. I really enjoyed reading them all. I even went out to the garage yesterday after work hoping that the problem was just me being dumb enough to not have it in gear. As it turned out, I didn't have it in gear. My heart lept and I made the proper adjustment and then....nothing. No lights, no nothing. I'm going to play with it this weekend and see if it' s maybe the battery or a fuse, or wire. If it's none of those things I'll tow it to the dealer and let him fix it. The guy's expensive and slow, but reliable so if I have to go that route at least it will be done right.

Now then, to my Hoosier buddies: that's a right nice offer from you guys. I'm usually a little bit shy about asking for, or accepting help, but if you guys are serious about riding over to take a look at the beast, I'll be happy to fill the cooler and heat the grill. Cindi is off this weekend and would enjoy having a couple of other guys to make fun of. And of course, there would be that whole reunion thing between Thor and Binky....

Just give me a call at 708-373-9242 if you decide to come.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

IT LOOKS LIKE SUNDAY WOULD BE A GOOD DAY FOR IT,I TALKED TO LEADWOLF56 AND HES GONNA GET AHOLD OF YA, SHOULD I BRING SOME TOOLS OR CAN YOU PICK YOURS BACK OUT OF THE GARAGE WALLS:whistling:

Ain't this a great site, these guys taking off their Sunday from watching TV and drinking beer to ride their bikes all the way over to Moose's house to work on his bike.

Live is great and you guys are the best. Ahhhhh now I know there no Sprint car racing this weekend, heck I may just come over and observe...

Have fun guys,

Jerry

Ain't this a great site, these guys taking off their Sunday from watching TV and drinking beer to ride their bikes all the way over to Moose's house to work on his bike.

Live is great and you guys are the best. Ahhhhh now I know there no Sprint car racing this weekend, heck I may just come over and observe...

Have fun guys,

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

What's better than drinking someone else's beer? :beer:Besides we get to tear a 2nd gen apart......:whistling:

Well we made it to Moose's house ariund noon on Sunday. Wheeled the bike out of the garage to get a good look at it. 93 Venture spotted the trouble right away, it was a very "technical" electrical problem..:rotf::rotf::rotf:, Moose can explain ....:confused24:. He did live up to his claim of "I'm no mechanic!". So.....it was fixed in less than 5 minutes and fired right up. Boo showed up about 20 minutes later but was too late to help out.

So we sat around and BSed and drank Moose's beer. Moose as always the gracious host that he is also fixed us lunch. He and Cindi are great people and we're glad to have them as friends.

It was a great day for riding, we put on about 230 miles, almost got hit on US30, gave the driver of the cage the one finger salute, 93 Venture then told me that we're supposed to wave with all of our fingers :rotf::rotf:.

All in all a great day and thanks to Moose and Cindi for the refreshments and the great lunch. It was good seeing Boo again. Kinda like a mini M&E. Hope to see all of you again soon.

By the way, Moose now knows what "+" on a battery cable means....:whistling:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: