IGNORED

Zzyzx STARTING TO REBUILD

Zzyzx

Well its been a while since the fire and I thought some of you might like to know how things are going out here.

As many of you know on April 25th our home blew up , then caught fire and was completely destroyed.

I was able to get my family out moments before the fire fully engulfed the place which took less than 4 minuted from the time of the blast. Fortunately this happened at 10:15AM and not at night. Had the blast occurred during the night I don't think I would have been able to get our granddaughter and her mother out of the house since the hallways were blocked with fallen book shelves and ceiling debris plus the power had been knocked out.

We lost 3 of our beloved pets and nearly everything in the house. The firemen were able to save some of the stuff in the garage by cutting through the main door but most everything inside was already heat and smoke damaged by the time they arrived. The fire was intense to say the least.

The cause of the blast was determined by the fire marshal and sheriff's to be from two of my F' n stepsons making “BHO” (Butane Honey Oil) made from pot stems. I found out a few days later they had been sneaking into the large crawl space under the far rear corner of the house for quite some time, mostly after dark, and making this crap. I guess the oldest was hurt real bad since he was the one brewing this crap at the time of the blast. Blew up in his hands, burned his face, and had some internal trauma but I hear he will survive. His brother left 30 minutes before the blast. The sheriff has 2 arrest warrants out for the oldest but he should hope they catch up with him before I do.

The wife and I have separated as a result of all this and not sure how this will all end for us. Its sad to think of loosing even more than we already have after 25 years together.

Anyway I started therapy a few weeks back by working on rebuilding the 99RSV since it had the least amount of damage. The 83VR took most of the direct heat and with them sitting the way they were in the garage it helped protect parts of the 99 from direct fire. Will work on the 83 next year when its cooler. I took 99 down as much as I dared and did extensive cleaning of the frame, motor, etc. Got much of the smoke and heat damage off the plastics but she will have a few remaining blisters and battle scars as a reminder of her ordeal. Hope to have her back together maybe by the weekend so I can do some shakedown test riding to make sure everything is good to go then...I'm packing up the travel trailer, loading up Miss-Adventure, and the remaining cat and heading east to Tennessee and Georgia for a few months to clear my head and think about the future.

I put together a little side deck to show what happened to the house and show the current progress of the 99.

Ride Safe Everyone ! Zzyzx (Ed)

PS: We are not going to rebuild the house since it is a total loss.

PPS:If your kids are into this s**t kick their asses. The fire marshal told me one small can of stove butane can cover an area up to 1200 square feet nearly an inch deep in explosive gas.

Z,, I have had to come back and read thru this crisis several times to even begin to get my head, feelings and emotions around what you wrote and the pictures you displayed :95:.. I want you to know that you have my thoughts and prayers as you work thru all this... I am SO sorry to hear about it all - especially about you and your wife - just dont know what to say other than it's a heart breaker to read that..

One day at a time brother - one day at a time..

PRAYERS UP!

Puc

Sad story on so many different levels. A fire is bad enough but to learn that it was caused by family and the devastating effect it continues to have just adds so much more sorrow. I'm really sorry that you are having to go through all of this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Guest divey

Sorry to hear about the family struggles Ed but very glad to see that you've got some focus on the path ahead. All the very best to you. Doug

Thanks for the update Ed. Sad story, but I want to let you know your choice of background music in your video caused me to chuckle... How can a person be so creative and still be right handed?? :whistling: Flaming Grill next week if you have time??

You sure have been dealt some challenges in your life, no doubt about that, but it looks like you are determined to overcome them, and that is good.

Not sure about your situation, but I am seeing the challenge many men have when married to a woman with prior kids. No matter how long they are married and no matter what those kids do, they will most always come first in the mother's life and her husband will be a distant second. I am seeing this in my life on a couple of generations and it can be hard to deal with. I believe that if a man marries a woman with prior kids, he needs to keep it in his mind that he will never truly be her first priority, no matter how bad the kids turned out as adults. Sometimes it is more subtle and sometimes it will hit you like a brick wall, but it will be there.

Anyway, that's my opinion and that is what I am seeing now around me. I was married for 41 years and am happier than I can remember in a long time, if ever. It can be amazing how making lemonade can be so good.

Randy

Very sad story to read. Wishing you the best during the rebuilding of your life and the bikes. As noted they'll give you some purpose going forward. Enjoy your trip and know the members here will have your back if needed so don't be afraid to give a holler if in need.

Larry

Guest Jamsie

I am not very good at putting into words how i feel , but i hope everything turns out great for you Z,i would be devastated if this had happened to me .

i am not religious , but if dan says a prayer for me i would be thankful .

ps say 1 for skids recovery as well , i know he is always in dans thoughts , i dont think a man could have a better man fighting his corner