IGNORED

Well...I guess I'm no longer bike less

Freebird

OK...here is the short recap. Got to Cincinnati around noon. Looked the bike over and found that it as pretty much as described. Nice visit with the current owner. His dad bought the bike brand new and then had some heart problems and couldn't ride it. Most of the Chrome was ordered the day that he bought the bike and included pretty much everything available at the time. After his son bought it, he ordered a Russell Daylong seat for it and send the Utopia backrest and the passenger backrest to Russell to be recovered to match the new heated seat. The bike is 11 years old so I can't say that it is absolutely perfect but pretty dang close for a bike that old. When I got there, it actually had 19,173 miles on it. So Eileen visited for a few minutes and then headed home. I went with the owner to the DMV and changed over the title and got tags for it then headed home.

The bike ran very well. No problems at all. It has the typical Venture whine. Not excessive and probably about the same as the '99 had. It has unmodified Harley mufflers off a 2015 Harley. I tried Harley mufflers on the '99 and wasn't crazy about the. These are different somehow and sound great but much louder than the ones I had tried before and I think they may be too loud for me. We'll see. I will probably be looking for another set of RSTD mufflers with the tips like I had on the '99. After trying a lot of different muffles over the years, I really like the OEM quietness of the original mufflers but with the RSTD tips. The seat was comfortable. He told me that by the time he added heat to the drivers portion and then had the Utopia and passenger backrest recovered to match, that this seat cost him $1200.00. Be that as it may, I'm not sure I like it. I really liked the Corbin seat and backrest and wrap around passenger backrest that I had on the '99. I'll give this one a little longer but will probably sell it and buy a Corbin.

I knew that it had most of the chrome on it that I had added to the '99 but then I kept finding other little bits and pieces that I didn't have before. I also discovered that it already has Stainless Steel brake lines front and rear. A Kuryakyn volt meter that seems to work very well. HID lights in the headlight and passing lights. I'm sure I'll miss something but at least a partial list of chrome includes ball milled carb covers, twinky covers and air breather covers. Chrome gas tank mount covers, chrome brake reservoir covers, chrome passenger foot peg backing plates, chrome front brake caliper covers, Kuryakyn grips with throttle rocker (they may go too...didn't like them when I tried them on the '99), Kuryakyn highway pegs (will have to order the Longhorn extensions), Chrome front fender tip and rear fender tip, Chrome headlight and turn signal visor and rear tail light cover, Kuryakyn rear brake pad, Kuryakyn shift peg covers, chrome ignition bezel, Yamaha luggage rack, Yamaha trunk spoiler, Yamaha saddle bag rails. He has changed all the speakers to J&P or something like that. Still the disappointing Yamaha sound though. No big deal because we use earbuds anyway. Has the Wagner grill guard. Tall/Vented Cleaview shield. Has a Marines decal on it. Hope I can remove it without it causing any damage. I support the troops but was not a Marine so do feel right with it on there. I'm probably missing some stuff but that's most of it.

Here are some not so good pictures. It was a lot cleaner before I headed home. Maybe I'll wash it again someday. I had decided that the whitewall tires will indeed go away when they need changing. Tires are decent but will probably need replacing before the end of the summer.

Midnight.jpg

engine.jpg

fontwheel.jpg

dash.jpg

seat.jpg

backseat.jpg

lights.jpg

rear.jpg

shield.jpg

wagner.JPG

Edited by Freebird

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW. Nice looking bike ! You are right....there isn't much to add! You certainly don't have to spend time searching for parts with how nicely loaded it is.

Good buy !

Just wondering....what is happening with all the HD clothing now that you are back on a Venture?

Nice!

Now go out and change that clutch fluid and ride!!

Second that.

Couple things "missing" :

- flag pole(s)

- under trunk light bar

- tach (?)

Does it have the run/turn/brake lights?

Not sure if you like the look...but the fork wind deflectors...I'd suggest painting the back-side of them black. I like the continuity of colour rather than the plastic that stands out.

HD Clothing will still be worn. I don't care. :) Probably won't add the light bar since it has the running/brake light in the spoiler. Flag pole will be ordered today. Tach? I don't know. Had one on the '99 but don't know that I really need it. We'll see. I added the front fender rail myself. He had the chrome tip on it and Yamaha says that the rail won't work with the chrome tip. Incorrect, it works fine. Moving the trunk back now and can't find any nuts to fit so have to run to the hardware store.

Triple diamond cut fins from @eusa1 or on the way via UPS as we speak. I'll be out of town when they get here though so won't get them installed until next weekend.

As for the run/turn/brake lights. I will add that wen I run across one at a decent price. I assume you are talking about the Harley part like I had on the '99.

:scared:WOW ZZZZZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW ZZZ WOW WOW WOW - NOW THAT PUPPY IS ONE GORGEOUS MOTORCYCLE!!!!!:scared::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Catch my breath here,, WOW,,, someone REALLY went all out on that sweetheart - just beautiful!! Looks like a brand new bike with all the fixins - man is that purdy:178::happy65:!!!! You sure know how to pick em Boss:happy34:!! Would love to meet the previous owner of that scoot and shake his hand - definitely our kinda folk - was he by any chance a member here Don? Personally, I LOVE the looks of that seat, definitely has a classy eye catching appeal to it - dont believe I have ever seen one like that - gotta admit though, it doesn't look as comfy as some of these "pillow top" seats I have seen around - would that be the Corbin type Don? What is that little LED looking strip below the cruise on/off switch - the one with the little numbers stamped below it Chief?

:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886

my brother on the fantastic find,, as usual - you done good Bossman!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PS,, this is my FAVORITE picture of you and your new scoot followed by a song that popped into my head when I first looked at it!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=105157&stc=1&d=1462022431

WOW. Nice looking bike ! You are right....there isn't much to add! You certainly don't have to spend time searching for parts with how nicely loaded it is.

Good buy !

Just wondering....what is happening with all the HD clothing now that you are back on a Venture?

I told him to get a bunch of the letter "d" and apply them in the appropriate place on the clothes. Not sure if Don heard me cause there was no response.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I bought a Russell Daylong Saddle from a guy on the STAR Touring site a few years ago. I failed to ask how tall he was,,,, why?

Because once I got it and put it on, it was all I could do to touch the ground, forget trying to back the sucker up. WINGS,,,, big ones.

I called Russell group. Lady said they are all custom made for the rider. Previous owner was 6'3",,, me 5'8" with 29" inseam. NO WAY.

She said, they do not trim them down and I simply got the wrong seat. Oh.

Turns out my friend, Steve Anderjack is at least 6'3",,, hard to tell from down here.

He tried it out and fell in love with it. As I got it for a good price, he took it off my hands.

So, anyone getting a used Russell Daylong,,,, make sure you have similar dimensions as the first buyer.

Oh and Boss,,, welcome back,,,,, the FORCE is strong.

@cowpuc, that little thing with the numbers stamped on it is the Kuraykyn battery meter. The pillow top seats you have seen are stock Yamaha seats. I think they started using them in 2002 or so. The Corbin I had was smooth leather and hard as a brick. I loved it though. Shape was perfect.

@Motiv, I may have heard you but have just learned to ignore you. :rasberry:

@Mike G in SC, that is an excellent point. This seat is perfect for me in that regard because the previous owner who had it made is almost exactly my same height and weight. I'm about 6'2 and he may be 6'3. It would certainly not work for somebody much shorter.

At this point...I don't know what I need. I'm going to slow down and BREATH first. :) I think I found a set of RSTD mufflers and Nanci is working with me to a tank bib. The Longhorn peg mounts are a must. Beyond that, I think it's time to stop and see how I like it as is now. Still not sure about the seat but will give it a bit of time.

... Probably won't add the light bar since it has the running/brake light in the spoiler. ...

As for the run/turn/brake lights. I will add that wen I run across one at a decent price. I assume you are talking about the Harley part like I had on the '99.

I don't remember if you had the spoiler on your old 2nd Gen but the spoiler doesn't light up very well. You will want to get the under trunk bar. I added a controller to mine so with brake it flashes for 5 seconds then goes solid.

I like the looks of the Harley light bar too but as they are hard to find...I know the Custom Dynamics aren't cheap but they are bright.

I only see the OEM horn...something louder on your list?

Do you have dates on when fluids were changed? It was already pointed out about the clutch fluid...but what about rear gear oil and coolant?

Hope you don't mind the rest of us helping you spend your money !

BTW...are you going to be looking for a trailer? Just wondering what you are considering. If something like the Piggy Backer... under $500 the Harbor Freight Tag-Along is a good option. It isn't a Bushtec...but it does the job (and matches the colour of the bike).

At those prices, I'll probably pass on the Harley lights. Will likely go ahead with the light bar though. Fluids were all changed recently. Brake and Clutch fluids are nice and clear. Oil was also recently changed but he has always used Yamalube in it and I'll change it to Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil very soon. Maybe even today if I feel like messing with it. It rained all day yesterday and looks like it will again today. All I did yesterday was move the trunk to its rear position. I also discovered that the rubber bumpers on the back of the lower air deflectors were missing so I made some new ones out of rubber expansion nuts as I had done before. They work great for that.

I have a set of RSTD mufflers with the tips on the way so I'll get it quietened down soon. Also have a line on a complete Corbin seat setup with drivers and passenger backrest. Just waiting on some pictures of it. May keep the Russell for a while but I just liked the Corbin better. Plus, my wife misses the wraparound armrests on the Corbin passenger backrest. If I REALLY end up liking the Russell, I'll send the Corbin passenger backrest to them and have it covered to match.

About the only things I'm still deciding on is the tank bib and I have to get some longhorn highway peg mounts ordered. It has the Kuryakyn pegs and clamps but not the Longhorn mounts. Gotta have them.

OH...and grips. I tried these Isogrips on the '99 and they made my fingertips get numb even though I had the stock weights on them. I like the way they look abut even by the time I did the 225 miles home the other day, my fingertips were numb again. They just don't work for me. I had some thick foam Road Star grips on the '99 and they were fantastic. I don't think they make them any longer but will see what I can find.

Mr. Bird, Give the RDL a thousand miles and you won't want to remove it to even change the battery. Going back to the Corbin will be like sitting on the edge of a board. Best seat evah!!

Great looking bike. Welcome home.

RR

OH...and grips. I tried these Isogrips on the '99 and they made my fingertips get numb even though I had the stock weights on them. I like the way they look abut even by the time I did the 225 miles home the other day, my fingertips were numb again. They just don't work for me. I had some thick foam Road Star grips on the '99 and they were fantastic. I don't think they make them any longer but will see what I can find.

On my Venture I kept the stock grips but covered them with Grip Puppies, they are avaialae here , http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/category.sc;jsessionid=4439AA5E3532473EDCC2469D8B1C3B45.m1plqscsfapp04?categoryId=103, I use them on the Goldwing also, much better feel and no expensive.