IGNORED

Anybody know of a tire sale?

frankd

I just looked at the condition of my rear Avon Cobra on my 1st Gen. and I see that it's time to change it. It's got about 18,000 miles on it and that's a little less than I used to get on the Avon Venom. I'll probably put Avons back on, but I'm thinking of trying something else. Does anybody know of any tire sales going on?

Frank

I put a set of Shinkos on my 89. Nice grip and ride!! But I know I won't get more then 8 to 10 k miles on rear... But that's OK as that's about a year for me. Good time to check rear end, grease her up and check brakes too. Going to put a set on the RSV next year....

Don't know of any current sales, but back in January I bought a set of Dunlop E-3's for my 1st Gen from a company called MotoSPORT.com, paid less than $80 apiece ($158 for a set, delivered!)! I posted my find here and a couple of member placed orders which were subsequently cancelled....guess I was the lucky one.

Deals can be had....just gotta move quickly when they present themselves.

Might check with local shops....sometimes at this time of year they want to move old inventory, and since these aren't a popular size anymore, they might be willing to wheel and deal (pun intended).

"It's got about 18,000 miles on it"

Is that some new world record? I don't think that my Metzeler rear tires have ever gone beyond 8,000 miles - and one brand I tried went much less than that.

zag

That Zag,, he be speakin my thoughts to a tee!! After reading time after time on here about people getting 8, 10, 15 even 20k out of a rear tire on their scoot I had long ago come to the conclusion that I had picked up a tire eating Gremlin somewhere in life.. I have tried pretty much all brands and configurations of tires thru the years and have yet to have one reach even 8k - that includes some fairly pricey name branders.. An example is the super high mileage (and rather expensive) Michelin that is on the back of Tweeks right now.. Came about it honestly, traveling and noticed the rear tire was getting down there - stopped at a bike shop, guy had Dunny 404's for 130 bucks, also had the Michelin on sale for 170.. Told him of my experience with 404's = 4kish per tire. He sold me on the design of the Michelin being one of of super high mileage - figured what da heck what da hay - worth a shot. After purchasing it and getting ready to head to the parking lot to put it on, the guy mentioned being careful in the twisties with the Michelin cause it was "harder rubber" that added the mileage and it may not be as good in the corners as the softer rubber 404's would be.. 6k later and the Michelin is done..

The above is just a current example.. Going all the way back into the 70's, riding my HD Shovel Low Rider from Michigan to the West Coast. Brand new Good Year Eagles on the scoot just before I pulled out.. While strapping my tent back onto the sissy bar in a place called Big Bear California I noticed my rear tire was down to wear bars. Got to Ventura California and had a rear blow out - rode the flat out to a stop - looked down and found I had rode it till the cords was showing and it went poof.. That incident started me on a "one rear tire to the coast and one rear tire to get me back to Michigan" lifetime routine and may very well be where/when I picked up that nasty tire eating Gremlin..

The End

No, that's not a record. With the older Avon Venom rear, I regularly got 22-24,000 miles. Back when I used to use Dunlop E-2's they gave about the same mileage. I don't ride easy and most of this mileage is 2 up. I do not pull a trailer though.

Thanks for the info about the rebates guys. I may try a pair of E-3's

Frank

I bet I have got at least 3 sale ads in the last week for tires from various bike parts places. LOL do you think I could find one now? The main ones I get ads from are Cycle Gear, Motorcycle Superstore, Jafrum. I had put Shinkos on the RSV prior to selling it. I ran them probably 6-8k and they looked as good as the day I put them on. I never expected the mileage out of them I got with Michelen Commander 2. But so far had been satisfied with them for the money.

When you get them from wherever you do, be sure to check the date code on the tires. A coworker bought a new pair of tires on sale from one of the big name online retailers and one of the tires was four years old. He called them and they are replacing it but he has several days of delay in getting back on the road.

"No, that's not a record. With the older Avon Venom rear, I regularly got 22-24,000 miles."

Ok, now THAT must be the record! I don't think that I tried Avon Venom tires but I become used to new Metzelers every 8,000 miles or so. Since mounting and balancing is part of the total tire expense, I found a guy who does tire changing at his house using professional equipment that he got from a dealership that went bust. $20 to mount and balance - just wait a few minutes and it is done. Seems like a deal to me. Of course you do have to bring him the wheel, not just drop off the bike.

zag