IGNORED

My Rear Head Set Does Not Work

HI FOLKS...

Just received our new YAMAHA official Head sets. Both are installed into our helmets. BOTH work from the rider's jack. When we plug in to the back passanger jack....neither work. So it's somewhere in the wiring to the jack. .

What do I do and where do I start my search to fix the rear set???

Thanks to anyone who can help.

It looks to me that the trunk has to be removed to get to the wiring. Remove both seats also????

Tom Schoener

When I first got ours, I thought you had to key the switch to talk, I did not realize you don't have to key anything, they are always on to talk back and forth.

If both are plugged in, can you talk in the rear and hear it in the front or is it totally dead?

Make sure to check the volume switch on the left rear armrest.

There also may be some settings on the radio control that may be affecting this.

If it still doesn't work there is a connector under the rear seat. Take the front seat off first (2-10mm nuts on the bottom in front) then the back seat (two bolts in front) then make sure both connectors are clean and tight.:080402gudl_prv:

Sounds like bmxndad is on to something here. There is a volume controll on the left side rear of the passanger seat. If that is all the way down you will not hear anything out of the rear jack. With both headseats dead at the rear jack, this does make sence.

:080402gudl_prv:

Hey thanks guys for helping.

Regarding the questions asked:

The bike is NEW.

The volume control on the back is UP (we turned it up and down many times with the headsets connected).

With the front headset ON and plugged in all is well. The back one is 'dead'.

We switch headsets and the back is still the problem.

We are also getting a very low volume play through the rear speakers with the headset plugged in...in other words it does not completely 'cancel' the speakers.

I'm going to start with removing the seats and checking all the plugs I can find in the trail fo the plug-in.

Tom Schoener

We are also getting a very low volume play through the rear speakers with the headset plugged in...

Many have reported it is normal to have low volume coming from the rear speakers when selected to headset. Mine does it also. This shoudl not be a concern.

Guest Saddletramp

I'm pretty new to the Venture but when I was familiarizing myself with the controls and setting I seem to recall a setting in the menu that would turn the rear headset off. Check your owners manual. I may be all wrong but it is worth a try b4 you start tearing wires apart.

I'm pretty new to the Venture but when I was familiarizing myself with the controls and setting I seem to recall a setting in the menu that would turn the rear headset off. Check your owners manual. I may be all wrong but it is worth a try b4 you start tearing wires apart.

Unless that is something new to the 08's I have never heard of that setting.

Everyone is coming up with GREAT ideas...none of which have panned out.

I have checked the 'fade'....and it works through the rear SPEAKERS, so, unless there is a Fade unique to the HS setting - that's not it.

I do not recall a feature that can shut off the rear Headset. I'll double check, but for what purpose?? If you purposely want the rear HS off....unplug it !!

I've jiggled every wire I could find....plugged and unplugged. Looked for shorts.

I'm coming up empty. Going to visit the Service Shop soon which I dread.

Tom S.

At the large plug under rear seat, on each side of the plug, tug gently on each of the wires, One of the wires Might have a bad " Crimp" on the Pin that goes into the plug.

It might pull right out. If so, the pin will have to be removed, and resoldered to the end of that wire.

Also, follow the cable from front of bike all the way. You might find that the cable has been damaged at some point. Inspect it inch by inch.

Also, if you remove the REAR, Control Unit, inside, the wires are " soldered " to the connector plug. Possible one of these solder joints has come loose.

Before you go to too much trouble, determine whether you really want the back mic to work, maybe silence is golden and you just know it yet. Other than that, I can be of no help.:stirthepot:

I was a little worried about my passenger being to yappy, but she has not been.

She sometimes sees potential dangers ahead before I do.

It is nice to be miced up with another set of eyes and ears.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped with the dead rear headset (my wife thanks those who suggested doing NOTHING).

I took off the seats, the front shroud, looked at every connection I could find.....but all in vain.

The dealer took a look and finally found the DISCONNECTED plug. "Guess they forgot to plug it in at the factory". NO CHARGE.

Now, I'm bugged and cannot imagine where that plug was that was disconnected. Maybe under the trunk? In the rear speaker cabinet?

It's fixed. It wasn't broke. Just not assembled. Must have been a Monday bike.

Tom