IGNORED

Back from not quite dead

Howdy folks. I was an active member here a couple of years ago, while working on a 83 with carb issues and whatnot.

Got disgusted with that and scrapped the whole project.

Now I just bought an 87 venture royal that ran great when I rode it home, so i changed the plugs and it started right up and ran even better. Then I replaced the fuses in the fuse holder with inline fuses because the prongs were broke on a few, now no display at all. It lights up, but no neutral light or anything and also won't start the bike.

Any ideas on what happened after the fuse change?

Thanks for the input. I put an inline fuse for the ignition, headlight and turn signals. The metal prongs started breaking, so thats what started this whole process.

Also, when you hit the starter button, the lights go out.

I'll try to post up some pics later.

Ok. Checked all fuses. All good. Checked as much wiring I could get to, nothing obvious.

I've always been less than proficient with electronics, so that may be part of my problem.

Also, the tail light wire leaving the fuse goes to ground, but the fuse didn't blow, but the wire and fuse holder got hot.

I hope this project does not go like the other one. Pissed me off because the bike ran good on the way home. I figured I would change the plugs and be golden.

Ok. Checked all fuses. All good. Checked as much wiring I could get to, nothing obvious.

I've always been less than proficient with electronics, so that may be part of my problem.

Also, the tail light wire leaving the fuse goes to ground, but the fuse didn't blow, but the wire and fuse holder got hot.

I hope this project does not go like the other one. Pissed me off because the bike ran good on the way home. I figured I would change the plugs and be golden.

This sounds like a problem. fuses are all on the hot side not on the ground side.

Check all of your crimped connections, I have seen it where the wire was pushed in to far and the crimp was done over the insulation instead of the stripped end of the wire.

Start checking your positive wires with a old headlight back to ground. You may have a fuse connection that will pass 12 volt with a VOM but when you place a load (headlight ) on it will not pass the load. About drove me nuts on a old Goldwing, I kept finding 12 volt until I tried to start it then nothing. The load from a headlight showed the problem back at a main fuse.

Update: Still cant find any obvious issue. Going to change out the fuse holders with ATC type, hoping maybe the glass fuses are crap.

Also, forgot to mention that the bike never had power to the CLASS. I have no idea if that has anything to do with the situation.

Update: Still cant find any obvious issue. Going to change out the fuse holders with ATC type, hoping maybe the glass fuses are crap.

Also, forgot to mention that the bike never had power to the CLASS. I have no idea if that has anything to do with the situation.[/quote

Before you go to all the trouble in changing all the glass fuse holders out check your grounded connections. 90 percent of the time on a 12V dc system that's where your problem lies.

Going to change out the fuse holders with ATC type

Go here for my write up about changing my fuseblock on my 1990:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?66650-Upgraded-and-updated-Fuse-block%28s%29&highlight=fuse+block

And here is the before picture of my 1991 fuse situation:

Fuse BEFORE (Large).jpg

And here is the after:

Fuse AFTER.jpg

Also, forgot to mention that the bike never had power to the CLASS.

The CLASS fuse is in the rubber inline fuse holder.

CLASS fuse holder 1a.JPG

Finally found the issue!!!. It was the glass fuses. The signal fuse had broken loose inside. Still looked intact, and even had continuity through my meter, but wouldn't flow the juice.

Replaced everything with ATC fuses and all is good.

Now the issue is with the CLASS. It shows an E4 error, but it only lights up when switch is in acc.When ignition is on, it stays blank.

Well, I pulled the board from the class control unit, and re-soldered all the connections, Boom! Working air system.

The front will only pump up to about 21-23 psi though. I stopped the rear at 80psi. Everything seems to work, auto to manual, front/rear,etc.

Just wondering about the front pressure.

Also, forgot to mention that the bike never had power to the CLASS. I have no idea if that has anything to do with the situation.

The class fuse is in a separate inline holder all by itself (it was optional on early models) and is only powered with the key in Accessory. There are numerous threads on here showing changing out the fuse holder, and in the classifieds Skydoc has a kit if you are not comfortable making it up yourself. Each fuse has its own feed because some are hot Accessory only, some ON only, and some both, so you need an inline type fuse box, not a standard with one hot connection.