IGNORED

Canadian winter - I had enough of you - I am riding my Venture to Mexico

jfman

Hello Fellow Venturers!

I am Posting from Quebec Canada and it is mighty cold today.

Somewhere in there:

24198297079_904020d21f_b.jpg

Hides a lady:

She aint exactly pretty

She aint exactly small

23939286313_ed58cc4619_b.jpg

Aint no fairy story

Aint no skin and bones

But you gonna give it all you got

23939266013_a6f91b9214_b.jpg

My vacation time has just been approved. I am hopping on my recently acquired 1985 Venture on March 5th and I am riding that big girl to Mexico.

You can read up on the bike prep progress here for more info.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?106054-Bought-running-Venture-for-250-need-help-with-suspension

I still have to fiddle with the Venture a little bit and it is not 100% ready yet.

I am going to ride from Montreal thru I87/I95/I85 to Atlanta where my folks live, drop off my winter riding gear there then I am riding to Mexico.

I can hardly wait!

Mexican Itinerary: I plan to ride to Monterrey, ride around the Sierra Madres Oriental, maybe go to the west coast, see Oaxaca, Chiapas, Tabasco and finally Yucatan and flying home.

I'll keep you guyz updated on my progress.

Maybe I run into one of you guyz on my way down. :)

jfman

Edited by jfman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got to recognize that you have balls to go ride in Mexico:shock3:. You would not catch me there these day's, not even in a resort.. looking forward to reading about your adventures. Bonne route mon amis...

My niece lives in San Miguel? (I think that's what it's called), about an hour and a half North of Mexico City. She drives back and forth to Central Ohio a few times a year, and says Mexico is very safe, until you get around the US Border. She says she gets gassed up in Texas and doesn't stop until she's at least 2 or 3 hours South of the border. Once she's well into Mexico she's safe. Anyhoo, that's what she says. She's been living there for about 7 years or so.:sun1:

My niece lives in San Miguel? (I think that's what it's called), about an hour and a half North of Mexico City.

San Miguel de Allende? I am planning to visit that town. Last time I went to Mexico, I was in Real de Catorce and met some folks who had come up from San Miguel de Allende and they told me it was an awesome place.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been to Tijuana and Nuevo Laredo before so I know what she means.

I am however avoiding Mexico City. 13 million population and no second gear - No way Jose :D

Edited by jfman

OUTSTANDING JF!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:THAT sounds like soooooo much funsign%20green%20with%20envy.gif!!!:thumbsup:

Thinking your picking the right time of the year to sneak down into Meaheeco',, man THAT sounds like fun!! Hopefully getting out of Canada and the Northern states goes ok, I know March can be a little dicey around Michigan during that time of year, hugging closer to the east coast like you are planning is probably a really good idea - I am sure this latest blizzard they got will be LONG GONE by March and that should be a great ride!!

Dont let no body fool ya, one of the great things about riding that MK1 1st Gen is if ya do happen to bump into Bandito's, they are gonna have to have something with some pretty good umph to chase ya down, even with no second gear:sign Rock On::bikersmilie:

Couple little notes about these 1st Gen's you may or may not want to think about. If ya carry a length of cheap fuel line with you and have a fuel pump failure you can hook the spare line onto the tank vent (or disconnect the one way valve in the vent line on the right frame spar and take the body of an ink pen and use it to splice into the vent line with the spare hose there) you can actually put enough pressure into the fuel tank with your lungs to force fuel into the carbs and be on your way. Carry a jug of water and one of those cheapy small Menards tarps to use for shade down in the heat. Dont forget an extra key for the bike and, oh yea,, extra batteries for your camera so we get LOTS of pictures!!! :photographing::photographing::photographing::photographing::photographing:

LOOKING FORWARD TO FOLLOWING ALONG ON THIS ONE!!:thumbsup:

By the way,, GREAT find on the scoot!!:scared:

Ride safe

Puc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello guyz, I left home ar 10am, made it to the border crossing near Jackman Maine around 11am The Border agents all came out of the office and some were taking pictures of me. It was -16c iirc in Jackman. My hands were freezing so I took a 30min break to eat and warm up.

There were snowmobiles everwhere around the jackman area and they were all giving me the thumbs up. It was funny seeing snowmobiles riding the trails off the 201. I could not wave at them because I was trying to keep warm so I just honked at them.

For about an hour it was snowing, a ver light and fairytale snow that was coming down slowly. It was very pretty to ride in it but scary at the same time. I was really scared that it was going to start snowing heavily. Lucky for me there was only snow on the ground in a few spots. Roads were sometimes wet and thawing, other spots I could not decipher between dryed road salt and frost. A little bit nerve racking.

Once I was in portland ir was above freezing, still cold to ride on I95 but the road surface is safe.

Edited by jfman

Guyz, I cant uplaod the photos.. If someone wants to host them for me I can send you couple via email every once in a while and you can post them up for me. Otherwise I dont think I can uplaod photos until i come back from the trip.

1c right now in CT drinking coffee them I am hitting the road again till I cant anymore.

cheers!

Edited by jfman

Guyz, I cant uplaod the photos.. If someone wants to host them for me I can send you couple via email every once in a while and you can post them up for me. Otherwise I dont think I can uplaod photos until i come back from the trip.

1c right now in CT drinking coffee them I am hitting the road again till I cant anymore.

cheers!

Like a heat wave :superman:

My hero!! and thanks for sharing this adventure. Enjoy!

cheers!

Just sent you a PM with my email. Just send me your pictures and I will gladly post them here on this thread for you. Ride Safe and Enjoy!

Here is a first series of photos from jfman that I just received. :clap2:

Looks like there is an annoying slow leak that has developed. :shock3:

Why the second photo is upside down is beyond me as when I loaded it it was right side up. Also an issue with the next to last that is sideway's. :confused24: