IGNORED

Has anyone ever put a side car on their RSV

stickhandle2

Hi All

Just kinda putting something out there, sorta throwing stuff against the type of thing. Has anyone put a sidecar on their RSV. Any hints on the type or style, how comfy are they for the passenger. I realize it will completely change how you ride the bike.

Also I recall seeing threads in the past about Urals, can anyone relate their experience with the Urals, I know the newer ones now have fuel injection, what are the older ones like. Think they are neat machines, just doing some thinking right now.

Thanks for any info about either sidecars on a RSV or about Urals.

Mike

I think @Carbon_One was also in the process of tieing on a hack, no idea if he did the job.. I like em and think they look like a TON of fun but I really enjoy having Tippy behind me so we can share the experience like we are one on the bike. Also, for a lot of our ride style (single trackin between trees and all that) it just wouldn't work, besides, Tip definitely has no interest in being the one riding in one. I think she is afraid I will "Commondant Klink" her or something:big-grin-emoticon:.

Talking Ural,, because of the 2 wheel drive capability - OH HECK YEA,, now THAT would be a BLAST!! There was a member here named TxSturgis (Brian) who had one (probably still got it - I know he LOVED that thing). Tx did a lot of posting on the site (with pictures :thumbsup:) about his experience with them and knew a lot about their history, pros and cons and stuff. Tip and I just missed a huge Ural gathering out in New Mexico when we passed thru a couple years ago that Tx told us about when we chatted with him on the phone - missed it by 1 day - would have LOVED to have attended that Rally. I think the main forum for Ural's is something like "Soviet Steeds" or something like that - I am sure LOTS of info and questions answered could be found there. From the little bit of reading on that site and reading Brian's reports about them, it seems like the newer the unit the less problematic they are. Also seems like I read a few times that the older ones required a lot more maintenance (fairly simple to work on though - kinda like a Harley). I always thought taking one on crawl across the country would be a blast:big-grin-emoticon:

I also know that Tx brought his out to the Sturgis Rally one year (I dont think he rode it from Texas - thinkin he trailered it but could be wrong). I think @bj66 (great guy - he is the one who hosted the 1st Annual Pie Butt 26.2 out there this year:thumbsup:) knows Tx and got to spend some time around the machine when it was at Sturgis, maybe he could shed some light on the subject..

Thats all I know, my brain is now empty:big-grin-emoticon:

My friend Reggie Brewer got a used one from Walter (Wes### from this forum). He had it nicely repainted to match his 2011 blue RSV. He got it dialed in as far as adjustments.

Can't give you detail but did not use it long. He may still have it.

He moved up to a Goldwing trike. He is in SC (used to be on this forum).

If you have questions, PM me and I can put you in touch.

Mike G in SC

Hi All

Just kinda putting something out there, sorta throwing stuff against the type of thing. Has anyone put a sidecar on their RSV. Any hints on the type or style, how comfy are they for the passenger. I realize it will completely change how you ride the bike.

Also I recall seeing threads in the past about Urals, can anyone relate their experience with the Urals, I know the newer ones now have fuel injection, what are the older ones like. Think they are neat machines, just doing some thinking right now.

Thanks for any info about either sidecars on a RSV or about Urals.

Mike

Yes, I put a Hannigan side car on my 02 RSMV a few years ago. Bought it off Graigs list and picked it up in Mississippi. Very good condition and I had it installed by Hannigan dealer. I did not like the hard steering and found it very uncomfortable, but I am up in years and arthritis is evident. Sold it to a friend on Star Touring and he came and we installed it on his RSMV. He still is riding it. The idea was good but I did not want to invest in the Hannigan easy steer and then to find out it did not work.

There is a whole new learning curve to ride one. They will rise up on you even if you run ballast when riding single. PM me if you would like more info.

:farmer:

While I did have a rig for a while it never got attached to the intended 83 Venture. Someone from Ohio saw me mentioning it on the sidecar forums, made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold it. Mostly cause I just don't have the room in my garage for a side car rig and a trike,

Check out http://sidecar.com/ for a ton of info on them.

Larry

I'm in the process of building and installing a sidecar on a Honda VTX 1800 Retro. Just finished my lower mounts today. This is something I always wanted to try so this winter it will keep me busy. I think the Honda has enough torque to be up for pulling one.

Hey Mike

I thought a hack might be a cool idea but had never ridden one. Back in August at the WNY rally MJ44 let me try her's.....it is a beauty!........Well.....me driving a hack :yikes: !!! (Thanks again MJ...it really was a hoot!) :whistling:

So much for that idea :confused24: but it is real cool looking :cool10:.

Maybe BongoBob will let me try his trike??!! Or MarCarl will give me the keys for the Spyder for awhile??!! :banana:

I had one on my RSV for 4 years.loved every mile.It sure got a lot of attention cruising down the road pulling a Bunkhouse behind it.My wife had a CD player and an electric heater in the hack.I live in the mountains of NC so every road was a twisty.Lots of fun in an empty parking lot in the snow doing donuts.

Thanks for all the input and info, lots to think about. I love the look of my RSV the way it is, and think a Ural would be fun to have as a second bike. I think Tammie likes the idea because as long as the side car or hack has a windshield she figures she can knit while we ride. Long rides more socks.

I will touch base individually with questions, thanks again.

Mike

Hi Mike!

Hello Craig and Kim!!!

I let Tooch drive. He tried. He really tried. His final words "I don't want one" :) :)

First, you steer a hack. No need to lean. Most folks that have a hack keep another bike if they want two wheels. You have to have them set up correctly, so taking a hack off and on would be a hassle, to me.

I bought my first one because everyone told me not to buy one. This is my third rig in 5 years. Wrecked one (99 RSV with California sidecar), bought and sold the second in one year (2006 HD ultra). I have a hack because they are uncommon and I like the looks of them. Not because of any health issues, just like sidecars.

Found this rig on sidecar.com A wealth of information on this site, and a few of the driving handbooks free to download. Worth reading.

I did switch out the triple trees for easier (much easier) steering. They are now at a 6 degree rake, which is another reason not to take the hack off. Unsafe to drive with that front end on two wheels.

I'd rather ride in the sidecar than behind because I'm not staring at the back of his head, can move around, and pretend I didn't hear him if I don't feel like talking, take pictures, wave at people, and just have a great time. Stops take longer because folks like to ask questions, which makes trips lots of fun. And lots of little kids have jumped in the sidecar because it looks cool. Lots of storage space in the hack and trunk.

I keep about 75 pounds of ballast in the back of the hack and don't have any problem with lifting the sidecar, because I do not want to fly the chair. If you keep making tighter and tighter right turns, you fly the chair.

It's usually cheaper to buy one used than new. A Ural would be great for back roads and trails, but they usually top out at about 60 m.p.h. http://sovietsteeds.com/

If you are ever in the Pittsburgh area - or Freebird's MD or the WNY rally - more than happy to take you for a ride.

Claude at http://www.freedomsidecars.com is a GREAT guy to talk with. He's been doing this for a long time. Answers all your questions and explains things very well. Another guy is Bob Wark in Ohio at http://www.warkshop.com/index.html He has info on his site about installation.

My sidecar opens from the front, which makes it easy to get in and out. It's an 07 Champion sidecar. Just be sure to get a sidecar that is the right for your bike. Claude can advise you on that, as will the folks at the sidecar.com forum. For instance, Velorex sidecars are too light for an RSV. Also, beware of universal mounts. DMC in Washington state, Claude Stanley will make bike specific mounts.

Hope that helps a little. More than happy to answer any other questions.

Mary Jo

Not trying to throw this thread off track, but it is in relation to side cars....check out this hand made custom side car that a guy is making who is on a GW site that I am on... Unreal craftsmanship!!

If I had something with the look on its face like that third picture in my garage I would be afraid to go near it :yikes::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously though Eckster,, your right,, the guy has TALENT:thumbsup:

Actually, I have always wondered why someone hasnt invented a side car that could be slept in and seeing the side door on this guy rig caused that thought to resurface:thumbsup:

Not trying to throw this thread off track, but it is in relation to side cars....check out this hand made custom side car that a guy is making who is on a GW site that I am on... Unreal craftsmanship!!

That is cool, yes agree lots of work, from the side it sort of has the lines of VW Bug, the front has a Transformers thing going on.

Hi Mike!

Hello Craig and Kim!!!

I let Tooch drive. He tried. He really tried. His final words "I don't want one" :) :)

First, you steer a hack. No need to lean. Most folks that have a hack keep another bike if they want two wheels. You have to have them set up correctly, so taking a hack off and on would be a hassle, to me.

I bought my first one because everyone told me not to buy one. This is my third rig in 5 years. Wrecked one (99 RSV with California sidecar), bought and sold the second in one year (2006 HD ultra). I have a hack because they are uncommon and I like the looks of them. Not because of any health issues, just like sidecars.

Found this rig on sidecar.com A wealth of information on this site, and a few of the driving handbooks free to download. Worth reading.

I did switch out the triple trees for easier (much easier) steering. They are now at a 6 degree rake, which is another reason not to take the hack off. Unsafe to drive with that front end on two wheels.

I'd rather ride in the sidecar than behind because I'm not staring at the back of his head, can move around, and pretend I didn't hear him if I don't feel like talking, take pictures, wave at people, and just have a great time. Stops take longer because folks like to ask questions, which makes trips lots of fun. And lots of little kids have jumped in the sidecar because it looks cool. Lots of storage space in the hack and trunk.

I keep about 75 pounds of ballast in the back of the hack and don't have any problem with lifting the sidecar, because I do not want to fly the chair. If you keep making tighter and tighter right turns, you fly the chair.

It's usually cheaper to buy one used than new. A Ural would be great for back roads and trails, but they usually top out at about 60 m.p.h. http://sovietsteeds.com/

If you are ever in the Pittsburgh area - or Freebird's MD or the WNY rally - more than happy to take you for a ride.

Claude at http://www.freedomsidecars.com is a GREAT guy to talk with. He's been doing this for a long time. Answers all your questions and explains things very well. Another guy is Bob Wark in Ohio at http://www.warkshop.com/index.html He has info on his site about installation.

My sidecar opens from the front, which makes it easy to get in and out. It's an 07 Champion sidecar. Just be sure to get a sidecar that is the right for your bike. Claude can advise you on that, as will the folks at the sidecar.com forum. For instance, Velorex sidecars are too light for an RSV. Also, beware of universal mounts. DMC in Washington state, Claude Stanley will make bike specific mounts.

Hope that helps a little. More than happy to answer any other questions.

Mary Jo

Thanks Mary Jo,

Lots of good info, there is a company about an hour from us here in Ontario that does side cars I have driven by it a number of times meaning to stop in and have a chat, they are also a Ural and Royal Enfield dealer so lots of neat stuff to look at. I agree with your comment about having a second bike so they can get out on 2 wheels, I know I would be in that group. It is funny the whole sidecar thing came up for us one day in the summer when my wife called me from work saying she saw a bike with a side car on it on the way to work......she asked if I had ever thought of that, I had to admit I had thought of it, but I was thinking of a Ural as a second bike, not putting a hack on the RSV, but now thinking maybe one on the RSV would be neat.

Thanks again and I will ask more questions as we think of them, also got your pm.

Mike

I think @Carbon_One was also in the process of tieing on a hack, no idea if he did the job.. I like em and think they look like a TON of fun but I really enjoy having Tippy behind me so we can share the experience like we are one on the bike. Also, for a lot of our ride style (single trackin between trees and all that) it just wouldn't work, besides, Tip definitely has no interest in being the one riding in one. I think she is afraid I will "Commondant Klink" her or something:big-grin-emoticon:.

Talking Ural,, because of the 2 wheel drive capability - OH HECK YEA,, now THAT would be a BLAST!! There was a member here named TxSturgis (Brian) who had one (probably still got it - I know he LOVED that thing). Tx did a lot of posting on the site (with pictures :thumbsup:) about his experience with them and knew a lot about their history, pros and cons and stuff. Tip and I just missed a huge Ural gathering out in New Mexico when we passed thru a couple years ago that Tx told us about when we chatted with him on the phone - missed it by 1 day - would have LOVED to have attended that Rally. I think the main forum for Ural's is something like "Soviet Steeds" or something like that - I am sure LOTS of info and questions answered could be found there. From the little bit of reading on that site and reading Brian's reports about them, it seems like the newer the unit the less problematic they are. Also seems like I read a few times that the older ones required a lot more maintenance (fairly simple to work on though - kinda like a Harley). I always thought taking one on crawl across the country would be a blast:big-grin-emoticon:

I also know that Tx brought his out to the Sturgis Rally one year (I dont think he rode it from Texas - thinkin he trailered it but could be wrong). I think @bj66 (great guy - he is the one who hosted the 1st Annual Pie Butt 26.2 out there this year:thumbsup:) knows Tx and got to spend some time around the machine when it was at Sturgis, maybe he could shed some light on the subject..

Thats all I know, my brain is now empty:big-grin-emoticon:

I got to meet up with Brian a couple of times at Sturgis. I never got to see his Ural though. I do remember him saying how much he liked it. Also remember him saying top speed on it was about 50 mph. That's why he trailered it to Sturgis. He really liked it though.