IGNORED

RVs, who owns them?

M61A1MECH

The wife has decided that when we retire we will get an RV and tour the country. I know nothing about RVs, so I am soliciting input from anyone tat owns one or has owned one to get some ideas on which ones are better than others and what we should look for to spot problems or issues , like leaks or malfunctioning leveling systems.

thanks

I do,, I do, I do... Easy on gas, easy to repair sleeping quarters if they do malfunction and leak water (replace entire sleeping quarters for under $30 at Menards), small enough to park in out of the way places, fairly easy to maintain, a huge variety of storage areas.. Ours isn't self contained but does fit between trees fairly easy when nature calls..

attachment.php?attachmentid=102153&d=1445303295

On a more serious note Steve, Tip and I been thinking some similar thoughts. One of the things I have noticed while exploring our country's National Parks was the multiple area's in them not accessible to certain length vehicles - in some spots this is pretty short length. Another thought is whether or not you plan on pulling a trailer with bikes and stuff along - might wanna consider Diesel.. After looking around, comparing fuel costs from rigs to rigs I got yakking with a guy who was using a regular Semi Tractor outfit - I actually have a buddy who has a big motor home, pulls a trailer with all his bikes and stuff in it - guy with the Semi Tractor outfit actually got wayyy better fuel economy..

We had a Motor Home when the kids were little and did a LOT of traveling with it. We LOVED the ability to be "living in it" while actually driving down the road but with the kids grown and gone, I am not so sure that is what I would go back to. I think I would rather have a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler, be able to detach, unload the bikes and use the Toy Hauler section for a garage, be able to use the Pick Up for chasing around..

All the best in getting lots of great advice to your question.. Also in your future of finding full enjoyment out of what ever it is you end up with!!

Puc

DSCN3890.JPG

It might be easier to give relevant comments if you gave some examples of what you might be looking for. Types, brands, price, etc.

Just "RV" covers a lot of ground.

For example: when we go looking at rigs, I won't look at anything that's not a diesel pusher. It's diesel or nothing. I have a preference for Cummins powered rigs with an Allison, but Cat can be good too depending on which lump it is. I prefer Cummins/Allison as you can pretty much find a shop nearly anywhere that can work on them, plus they're just pretty good lumps.

I check fuel tank capacity, bare minimum 100 gallons and 200-300 is preferred for me (can fill up where it's cheaper and extend if needed, or just not having to stop all the time). I don't like the C class cab/chassis models. Side radiators are a big plus over a rear radiator.

I check how accessible things are with the slides in for what we can (and can't) get to when mobile.

I make sure the rig can operate "independently" if needed (IE: propane capable as many newer rigs are meant mainly for shore power and/or don't even have tanks).

I am very leery of anything not built on a bus type chassis. I don't like cab/chassis conversions, even if it's something like Freightliner. Double slide outs are a must, preference for what they call "superslides". Slide out awnings are a must. I have a preference for as little wood construction as possible, preferring aluminum and fiberglass in as much of the rig as possible. Built in access to the roof is a must.

Facilities to wash clothes are a must (I can't stand coin op laundry-mats).

Beds must be accessible from all sides. I'm too old to crawl over one side to get to the other. Bedrooms must have decent sized closets (I prefer to iron and hang my clothes).

I look at things like facets and plumbing (ie: actual Pex or Chinese knockoff stuff, home style faucets or chromed plastic, etc), showers (size and type), fresh water tank size and can the gray and blackwater tanks handle the fresh water capacity, built in black tank flush/cleaning devices, generator (inverter type, capacity, fuel requirements, etc), fridge (capacity, energy use, multi fuel, etc), entertainment system (110v or 12V, dual power, etc), AC (capacity), driver concerns (seats, visibility, gps, reach to controls, mirrors, sunvisors, etc), towing capacity (toads or trailers) and so on and so forth.

I make sure I find out if it's their own chassis or if it was outsourced from another company. Warranty work can often be a major PITA if it's not their chassis/drivetrain.

I look at what brand and level the appliances are. All mobile stuff seems to be a crap shoot on reliability, but name brands and higher end products seem to be more reliable or are at least easier to find someone on the road to fix it or order parts.

The missus looks at colors and patterns and I prefer my interiors to look like a home/hotel and not a camper.

Then we look at the price of what we want, gasp and usually go home to sulk.

:rotf:

We currently haul a 35 foot trailer, but may be getting rid of it in the somewhat near future and if elect to retire to travel the roads, it will be a diesel pusher class A motorhome.

:)

Edited by Great White

It might be easier to give relevant comments if you gave some examples of what you might be looking for. Types, brands, price, etc.

Just "RV" covers a lot of ground....

Agreed, but because I do not know, I would like to hear about all potential aspects.

Cowpuc had some very good ideas, and that is what I want to hear, options so I can start to form an opinion on what would suit us best, financially and comfort. We looked at some toy haulers a number of years ago, but the garage section takes up so much room they did not seem practical.

used motor coaches A,B or C are very plentiful here in Florida, so finding one of those we can afford should not be an issue, just not sure if that is good choice.

As Micarl pointed out, cost and fuel will pay for a lot of hotel rooms.

There is much to think about.

Yeah, it could get a lot of hotel rooms, but the nice thing about your own motorhome is it's like taking a bit of "home" with you. I'm more comfortable in my motorhome than in a motel room, plus, you can take a bunch of stuff with you.

Downsides are poor fuel economy...you need to tow a car or a bike if you want to explore the area once you get there....rv parks are expensive, so unless you're gonna stay in wally world parking lots, you'll need to research places to stay for free, which usually means you're "dry" camping,...without an external power or water source. Not a problem, but it'll mean you'll have to dump waste tanks and fill water tanks often. Again, not a problem as many travel centers allow this for a small fee.

If you're willing to buy a used one, they're really not that expensive. I bought my 01 in 12 for 18K, with 35,000 miles on it. I only have 45 on it now, but have had no problems worth mentioning.

Slide outs are a big plus if you're gonna spend much time in it. Mine doesn't have 'em and I wish it did.

I don't use it as much as I'd like (no time) but when I do get to use it, I enjoy it thoroughly.

I'm planning on keeping the one I have until I retire, ...it oughta be pretty used up by then....then get a newer one, with slide outs, preferably diesel, to do a bit of travelling when I want.

Class C motorhomes seem a bit easier to drive, 'cause it's like a big van, but I prefer a class A because you don't feel so boxed in while travelling. With the wide open front end, with the big windows,...I really think it adds a lot to the travelling experience.

I'd say go for it. I really have no regrets about buying mine.

Best of luck to ya:banana:

Pics from phone 8 25 14 102.jpg

Check the rules for the National Parks. As I remember from way back they won't let you camp there if the MH is over a certain length. When I drove around the Sierra Mountains from Lone Pine CA to the Sequoia National Park and through the park, the roads were really curvy and I didn't see any large MHs, just smaller c class. It all depends one what you want to do with it.

Kind of depends which way you want to go Steve. WE dont have one but spent 2 days at the RV show last winter over in Tampa. Man what a wide variety of options. For me I'm pretty sure I would go with a toy hauler. But it would have to be something like 24' or longer, as one of the things we really like is a separate garage (place to store bike). Probably best floor plans and most space would be 5th wheel style, in toy hauler. To me one of the good points of a towable (5th wheel or regular travel trailer type) is when you get where your going you have something you can drive to places without leveling and releveling like a motorhome if you dont pull a car.

For a first one I think I definitely would look previously owned. Someone else takes the initial hit on the loss. I searched craigslist there for awhile here in Fla and prices are very wide depending on what your looking for, and if its private sale or dealership. I kind of like the Outback and Raptor makes a dang nice unit.

I owned a 25' travel trailer for several years when the kids were small. I could tow it with my F150. Having the F150 already and buying used kept the cost pretty low. It was great fun to take the kids "camping" in. We mostly used it at the beach. I did tow it 600 miles each way to Disney World one time.

But, I don't like towing something that large. It's risky. I couldn't stop very quickly. Wind pushed it around. Big trucks passing on the interstate pushed it around. Ideally, what I think I want is a 4 wheel drive c class. I've seen a used one on ebay on rare occasions.

For what it's worth......

i bought a 26 foot class c on a Ford chassis with a 460 V8 in 1994 to tow my 24 foot trailer with race car and all the supporting gear. It was a 1993 model that was bought in 1994. I pulled that rig all over the eastern US both with the race trailer, my Miata on an open trailer while vacationing, and got 12 mpg empty and 11 mpg with trailer in tow. The only issue I had with it was keeping the cab over section sealed up to keep the water out. Many of the newer models have a one piece cap over the cab that are much more water resistant.

All told, we put about 40K miles on that one that were mostly trouble free.

in 2001, I sold the Tioga and bought a 2000 class A. It is 34 foot with a living room slide. It is also on a Ford chassis with the V10 gas engine. The difference between the two is significant in that the amount of room is quite noticeable. It handles the race trailer just fine and is easy with the 12 foot bike trailer. To date, we have put 40K miles on it and the only issue we have had with it has been rust due in large part to the 7 winters we spent in the keys. I have spent many hours under it cleaning and treating the rust with POR15 paint. I have replaced all the brake lines when one rusted through last year.

3 years ago, when I retired from racing, I gutted it and replaced the carpets with wood floors, jettisoned all the furniture and replaced it with furniture that better suited our lifestyle, replaced the TV, and installed a surround system. It now is "drinks for 6, dinner for 4, and sleeps 2" just the way we like it. All brakes and rotors have been replaced due to rust, all new tires, and it is ready to go later this week. We expect to be living in it for the next 4 to 5 months.

The V10 gets between 7 and 8 mpg. It will probably retire to the farm in Tennessee and be replaced with something a bit smaller in the next few years, who knows?

I have a travel trailer and I'm in it now as i write this. We use is as a winter home and not to travel the country. We started out with a used 28 ft trailer with a single, small slideout as a test to see if we would like the lifestyle. With that trailer we learned what we wanted in our next trailer. After the first winter in it we sold it and only lost about $500 and then bought what we felt was best for our situation which is a 36ft trailer with a rear living area and we are very comfortable in it for about 4 1/2 months a year. From talking with friends in our park many have switched from Class C and Class A motorhomes to 5th wheels with a suitable truck. Because we live in it full time during the season we wanted a living area which was comfortable for meals and watching TV. A decent pantry was a requirement for my wife. I wanted to be able to watch TV without turning sideways. We're just down the road from you on Hutchinson Island, between Ft Pierce and Stuart. Ride the bike down and I'll show you what was important to us.

Dennis

The wife has decided that when we retire we will get an RV and tour the country. I know nothing about RVs, so I am soliciting input from anyone tat owns one or has owned one to get some ideas on which ones are better than others and what we should look for to spot problems or issues , like leaks or malfunctioning leveling systems.thanks

After owning a small travel trailer when out kids were young years ago, we got back into RVs in 2005 which was into our retirement years. Owned a 30' Winnebago motorhome for 4 years and then moved up to a 37' Newmar only because the wife wanted a washer/dryer and I wanted a king bed and neither were available in the 30' rig at that time. We used the rvs for summer trips and as a winter residence primarily in Arizona and Florida. Got to say a motorhome is a great way to travel but an expensive way as well. Not counting the initial cost, maintenance, rv parks, insurance and gas (I got 7mpg on my 37 footer) were costs to reckon with. However, as a wise man once said, if you're worried about the cost of an activity - you can't afford it. :whistling:The upside in traveling is you take your home with you, sleeping on your own sheets, using your own bathroom, not worrying about luggage, etc.. Another advantage is if you don't like the neighbors or the area, you can just move. :8: We towed a Ford SUV behind our rig as it's a little inconvenient to take a motorhome to the grocery store or on side trips to sightsee. :doh: All in all, we enjoyed our tenure with our motorhomes immensely, traveled all over the country, and highly recommend the lifestyle and experience. We sold our rig last year as we moved into Condo living and not only had nowhere to store it at home, but had also done about all we wanted to do with one during our ownership years. Also decided to do long distance touring on a bike for a change which is the exact opposite in traveling. :biker:

As to a recommendation on brands, I was priveledged to own two of the better makes IMO.....Winnebego and Newmar. I would rate the Newmar quality slightly above the Winnebago, it is built by Amish workers in Nappanee Indiana.

Attached is a shot of my rig (Newmar):June 11.jpg

We recently bought a 20' Chinook RV. It is our first. It is a '78 but in excellent condition and everything works. We bought it from the original owner this year with 90,000 miles on it. We wanted a smaller one because we wanted to get off the beaten path and you really don't want to be driving a huge road/gas hog through the mountains in BC. It is fully self contained and everything works. It is on a Dodge 300 chassis with dualys and a 360 2 bbl. We took it from Salt Spring BC to Edmonton AB and found the gas mileage on the flatlands was good but it really sucked in the mountains. I wanted a fiberglass model because I had heard lots of stories about hidden leaks in aluminum models. Around here anything in the 30' to 45' range is going cheap. Buy whatever suits your needs and don't be in a hurry to buy, there is always a better deal out there which you will hear about just after you buy. Buy what suits the traveling conditions, flatlands or mountains, long distance or short. most places have pump out stations, water and electricity. Having owned sailboats for many years it was easy for us to adjust to a smaller rv. To go from a house to an rv is a much bigger adjustment.

We started out a few years back camping in an older Ford F-350 class C motorhome and ran with that for a few years but didn't like having the limitation of driving it to town or to sights after setting up so this year we switched to a 26ft travel trailer that we pull behind my pickup. This allows us to leave the trailer and we can get into just about anywhere by only having the truck to worry about.

Got a tagalong, not 5th wheel, so I can load the bike into the bed of the truck. (Picked up a Blue Ox loader to do that job)

Now when we find a place we want to spend some time at we set up the trailer and just take the truck anywhere to explore together since the wife doesn't ride

When I want to go riding I can unload the bike and head out that way the wife has the truck to go shopping or???.

I personally prefer this setup better than the motorhome since it give us more options when traveling.

I would like my next investment to be a large toy hauler (40ft) with the rear toy section separated from the living area.

I would just live it year around and spend our so-called "golden years" traveling all of north America.

Some things to consider when looking for whatever you decide fits your needs:

1 - "Low mileage" on older motorhomes often means the thing sat for years and probably sucks gas, may be in need of a rebuild including water pump and radiator, and you'll most likely need new tires depending on tire age and however long it sat.

2 - If the coach has a vinyl/rubberized top and has set out in the elements for any length of time you'll have to check for leaks. Look in the corners inside and out and around all vents and fixtures.

3 - If the unit has set for a long time the refrigerator may not work but if it does, and it has sat for a few years, it may spring a leak in the near future and that lets the ammonia gas out into the coach.

If you need to fix it, and good with tools, the cooling unit can be replaced without having to buy a complete frig. Go on eBay and look for Amish built cooling units. These go for around $450.00 and are not to hard to replace

4 - Make sure to check the entire plumbing system including fresh and waste for leaks. Pressurize the fresh water system and let it set for a long while to make sure the plumbing and all connections are is good condition.

5 - If you plan to tow behind a motorhome make sure the towing system is already there and attached to the framework of the coach. After market hitch's are sometimes only bumper mounted and are very limited to the weight you can tow.

Keep in mind what ever you choose to do, and especially if you get a long trailer, the overall length including the truck can be an issue in some RV parks and on some roads do to length restrictions.

Whatever you choose Have fun and enjoy traveling!!!

Well, here I go:

Don and I hit the road on Sept 1, 2015; just 2 short months ago. We are doing this full time. We sold our house and all our belongings. We thought we wanted a MH and we couldn't really afford a new one so we looked at used ones for 18 mos and just couldn't find anything matching our needs that we thought we could afford. We had paid off all our bills and wanted to pay cash for the RV so we didn't really want to spend alot...we wanted to make sure we had enough in savings for "emergencies" and lots of $$$ for gas!

We ended up purchasing a brand new 2016 Montana 41' 5th wheel with 4 slides. We then purchased a used '06 Dodge dually GAS powered Hemi 5.7 liter. The diesels were alot more expensive along with more $$$ for maintenance. MPG is not the greatest but gas prices are low so we are well within budget. Yes, you have to make sure the campgrounds can accomodate the length of your RV. This has not been a problem so far. We are members of KOA, Good Sam's club and Passport America. They all come with books listing all their campgrounds. I also have a huge book listing all the state campgrounds that are $12 and under per night. A very handy book, which can be found at most RV dealers. If you are a senior citizen, you can get a Parks pass for $10 that is good for your lifetime. This entitles you to 1/2 off most places.

We prefer to stay at a campground with full hookups (electric, water and sewer). Our RV is 50 amp. We have a cord that lets us take it down to 30 amp which means we can only run 1 of 2 a/c units. Not a big deal so far. Also, if you are going to stay in an area for at least a week, ask if they have a special rate for that or even for a month. We have been staying in montgomery Alabama for the better part of Oct for $450 for the month. We are leaving to go to the alabama coast for November to a park there for $350 for the month. this is for full hookups, electric included. Our RV has a residential fridge which has a large freezer on it. An absolute must if you are full timing it. We have a king size bed, which was a must on our part. It did not have a generator so we bought one at Home Depot and carry it in the truck, just in case.

We have been very pleased so far with traveling. We got a late start this year so we plan to stay in the south for the winter and then start heading around the country in the spring. Definitely want to head out west as I have never been.

Oh, and I thought I wanted a washer / dryer unit. Our RV has the hookups. After speaking to several dealers and other full timers they say those "all in one" units are not worth the money / trouble. takes forever to do one load and and they don't hold that many clothes. Although I have never been a fan of the laundromat, there is something to be said for getting your laundry done in 1.5 hours and then you can get back to traveling / sightseeing. Otherwise you will be stuck doing laundry all day.

I thought it would take alot of time to set up a 5th wheel and then turn around and get it ready to travel, but Don and I work together to do this and we have it ready to go in no time or set up in very little time. It's not fun doing it in the rain, I assure you.

If you are going to haul your bike, I would definitely look at a toy hauler. they are very nice. There are lots of good deals out there. I don't think there is one good brand, they all have their qualities. I would make a list of what you think you want and then look for it. Definitely go as big as you can if you are going to live in it, unless you don't think you really need the space. I spoke with several campers along the way and those that started small traded them in for bigger when they realized it wasn't enough room to go full time.

Let me know if you have any questions, i will be glad to answer. But I can tell you this...we are loving it and so far wouldn't change a thing!

patti and don

On a minor note, speaking of National Parks. Be sure to get a Senior Lifetime National Park Pass. They are for US Citizens 62+, $10. They will cover a lot of normal entrance fees and are commonly good for up to 4 folks.

Pick one up at a park or on line (which will include processing fee). Visited Lookout Mt, watched 4 seniors pay the gate fee of about $10. Then when I got to the park agent, I asked about the card, he said SURE! They just overspent by $30. They do not tell you if you do not ask.

Steve, Enjoy,

Mike G in SC

(Oh, I just referred you again on FB Royal Star page.)

Had a small unit about 10 years ago after I retired. Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive to use (campgrounds/services), requires towing a second unit to move about at each destination. Sold it and we travel by car or trike and stay in motels/hotels. For those who have them and enjoy them, great. We found it was just more trouble by far than it was worth.

Whatever you do, do not buy the first rig you see and do not sell everything you own and take off to see if you will like the life style. Rent several types of rv's first to see which type really serves your needs. Then when you decide what you want, decide how big you want to go. Then add 2 or 3 feet to the biggest rig you think you need. I have not met any rv owner who didn't go bigger within a very short period of time. We went from a 28 foot class a to a 40 foot class a and have no regrets. We also carry the VR on an electric lift and tow our Jeep. Well, thats my 2 cents.

We arrived at Jekyll Island, GA yesterday to stay for the next 2 months, then on south for the next 3 months.

It's Barbie and me and 3 cats. We are in a 34 foot class A pulling a 12 foot enclosed trailer that has a freezer full of food, my FJR, a pantry, 120v apartment size washer/dryer stack, and other miscellaneous things.

This setup works just perfect for us.

Here's our home for the winter. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/dac21cbfd6da6e575c47dae149824fb1.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/cd983b7a13931b1d89b0688302e78429.jpg

700 ft to the east is the beach, 700 ft to the west is the Indian River.