IGNORED

gps

cruiserlover

My gps, connectivity and media system is my iphone 6 plus.

I have a lifeproof case for it that is waterproof.

I "communicate" with it via my sena SMH-10 bluetooth headset.

When using it for nav, I plug it into a 5V adapter that is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

The phone slides into a mount I made on the fairing:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/19D183D6-7CDB-4C07-A3DA-C38510D1C0AE_zps9uiugiim.jpg

That's an old pic when I was making it. It's a bit more refined and painted black now.

You could do the same thing with a simple handlebar mount. I just wanted something more solid.

If it rains, I just stow the adapter and snap the power port shut on the lifeproof case.

Edited by Great White

My gps, connectivity and media system is my iphone 6 plus.

I have a lifeproof case for it that is waterproof.

I "communicate" with it via my sena SMH-10 bluetooth headset.

When using it for nav, I plug it into a 5V adapter that is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

The phone slides into a mount I made on the fairing:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/19D183D6-7CDB-4C07-A3DA-C38510D1C0AE_zps9uiugiim.jpg

That's an old pic when I was making it. It's a bit more refined and painted black now.

You could do the same thing with a simple handlebar mount. I just wanted something more solid.

If it rains, I just stow the adapter and snap the power port shut on the lifeproof case.

Goos method looks like.thanks.

well I put a wireless puck from walmart on my aux port for playing music and phone navigation. Added a usb charger for phone {self contained} hooks to 12 volt. I used a relay and a 5volt fuse. So far the only time I hate it is when phone looses towers. So far only in ill. Over shot destination a little. lol Also had to add a switch to disconnect the power to puc other wise it trys to connect all the time and messes up radio. This is on a second gen. Also you only see the phone and usb plugs put one on for passenger also.

I think I have about 70.00 in all of it but that's because I'm picky.

Edited by rbig1

I have used automotive GPS units on my bike/trike for several years. I use a Ram mount with a home made rain cover. The cover is made from a plastic index card box about $3. Just bought a new Garmin 52LM at the Fort Jackson PX for $69 and I can actually see it in the daylight!. I also used a ziplock bag as a rain cover for a few years...cheap easy and see through!

I use an iPhone with a Ram mount on the handle bar. GPS navigation, stream music with Pandora (soon switching to Amazon Pr.ime, I think), take and receive phone calls, texts, all blue tooth through UClear communications in my helmet which also provides seem less intercom.

I wired in a charger inside the fairing by tee'ing into the power supply to the cigarette lighter socket with one of Steve's wire harnesses. It had a USB output so I used a standard cable, sealed with heat shrink, and routed out to the handlebar near the RAM mount. The charger was less than $10.00 on ebay

In the event of rain, I put the phone in my pocket. It continues to Bluetooth to my helmet and in the rain I rarely need to see the screen. When the rain stops I clip it back to the ram mount and plug it in to the charger

Edited by vzuden

I'm gheto so I use plastic wrap and electrical tape mounting system for a temp mount when I need it. For the Royale convert I am working on a case to mount it on the tank/air box cover using Delrin for a frame with an screen protector epoxyed to it. I get the 7" tablet to sit against the screen protector by using foam under it. The tablet is a Sero 8 Pro costing only `$70 but it does a great job and for the price I don't worry about it getting ripped off or broken if the could even get to it under the frame. the Sero has bluetooth and can Wifi connect to my phone for internet.

When internet is not avalable there is an Android App called Offline Maps that works great.

• 9 months later...

Anyone else mount an 8" tablet? I'm thinking vertical from the two bib screws by the gas cap. Android Here WeGo, all the maps you want download when you are at home and it doesn't use data or need cell service. I have it on the tablet (WIFI ONLY) and my Galaxy S5, both blue tooth to my helmet Here routes to one destination at a time, no waypoints. My workaround is to "find" all the waypoints I want to use, then they are in the drop down destination list so it's easy to pick the next waypoint on by the road. Yes phones and tablets running GPS, bluetooth, and the screen tend to get hot.

Edited by gggGary

I considered trying a similar approach. I cannot see my Moto E phone or my Galaxy Tab in sunlight and I could not see my iPad either. So I abandoned the idea. My GPS is viewable but barely. Don't know why the manufacturers require such indirect light to view their products.

I ran the tablet for 4000 miles mounted on the left handlebar of K1200LT last year, screen was "nearly always" visible. With the blue tooth giving directions into my helmet not that big a deal when it's not.... also thinking of ditching the audio on the RSV and putting the tablet in the same spot on it. A speedo ap puts a nice big accurate! MPH on the screen with the gps. that tablet holder was for mounting to a headrest in a car for kids video viewing, I "garyized" it for the handlebar. it kept the tablet in place no matter how rough the roads.

fosail 029.JPGk1200lt 020.JPG

Edited by gggGary

Guest Jamsie

I use a Garmin Zumo 390 , on a ram mount on left bar, connects to my scala rider headset, i can see the display in all light lvs, i also have a Garmin VIRB mounted on the right handlebar which i can control with an app on the satnav if ever i move it to where i cannot reach it while riding.

nice touch on the Zumo is you can select a curvy road route.

Has proved to be 100% wateproof and never lost power even in torrential downpours that lasted upto 4 hours

I considered trying a similar approach. I cannot see my Moto E phone or my Galaxy Tab in sunlight and I could not see my iPad either. So I abandoned the idea. My GPS is viewable but barely. Don't know why the manufacturers require such indirect light to view their products.

Yup my Garmin 765t can be difficult to see in some situations also. I like to wear a brite yellow long sleeve wicking type shirt while riding. It helps keep cool, sun ff my arms and is good visibility. But the refection onto the screen makes it impossible to see at times. I even have you nifty screen cover thing. Maybe a longer one? With the Victory no way I have enough room now to think about a huge tablet to use for nav.

On a side note I did finally figure out how to update maps on my Garmin without their software so no running at least a 2016 map vs 2011 or 12 whichever I had. This after a complete run around in Kissimmee on a trip back from seeing MA61Amech

That big tablet has a high dork factor, but my old eyes don't care for small screens. Dork factor of bike and rider smooshed into the back of a stopped semi is high also.

PS I am cheap; $100 for the used tablet, Here WeGo with constant map updating is free. tablet also does decent screen size email, web browsing at "mac and dons"

for $100 and you can tether it to phone and have always updated maps... Well even the Fonz would think thats OK. Funny you mention updated maps. I have evidently s#it canned mapsource and the ever annoying base camp off my PC. Probably when I updated OS to Win 8. Anyways I had received a 2016 USA North America update, but had no idea how to update on my Garmin. A couple of videos both said import via SD card. Heck I didnt have any of those big enough for the file. So a little more searching and found a useful video on how to do it. Really simple once you know which file you are looking for in the Garmin itself. I certainly like your large easy to read screen.