IGNORED

Carb sync confirmation

Confirming the repair manual's notes for syncing the carbs is backwards? instead of screws #1,#2,#3...it's #3, then #2 then #1?

This should sync carbs 1&2, 3&4, then right side to left side..

Thx

david

David:

See here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?258-Syncronizing-the-Carbs

The words are for the girls and the pics are for the guys.

Thank you Sir, for the confirmation. That's the article that first explained the manual error.

Okie dokie...now to find those screws and do some work!

david

You will need a very long one to make that first adjustment, and it is hard to find (for me). You have to reach it from the right side of the bike and it is tucked way up between the carbs on the left side. Been tempted to paint the head of mine neon green or something.

I went to HF today...didn't have that particular 24" screwdriver in stock. I did find a slightly shorter one...thin....it should reach all the way. We shall see. I've had to delay working on beastie cause I needed to buy some restrictors for the vacuum gauges, vacuum port caps and a longer screwdriver. BTW, someone here mentioned they had purchased JIS screwdrivers from HF. The manager of the Tucson store said he has never heard of them and carries all the stock. The vacuum caps are because I don't have the original set up. The PO took all the stuff off and tied the two vacuum ports on each side together.

Maybe tomorrow I'll check the carbs.

Although, today finally went to gas station. 186 miles this past weekend with daughter on back. Mostly 2 lanes and 4th gear hills and stuff. 4.4 gallons. 42mpg. Past two tanks by myself were 36 mpg! Guess my right wrist is being bad when I'm alone.....cause the 05 surely can get decent mileage when the kidlet is on the back!

IMG_3839.jpg

Starts better and seems to run nicely. Guess I got the carbs right...

Edited by videoarizona
Addendum

mine got better mileage on highway with the back seat full. even just a duffle bag. think when seat is open it developes turbulance in front of the trunk.

I went to HF today...didn't have that particular 24" screwdriver in stock. I did find a slightly shorter one...thin....it should reach all the way. We shall see. I've had to delay working on beastie cause I needed to buy some restrictors for the vacuum gauges, vacuum port caps and a longer screwdriver. BTW, someone here mentioned they had purchased JIS screwdrivers from HF. The manager of the Tucson store said he has never heard of them and carries all the stock. The vacuum caps are because I don't have the original set up. The PO took all the stuff off and tied the two vacuum ports on each side together.

Maybe tomorrow I'll check the carbs.

Although, today finally went to gas station. 186 miles this past weekend with daughter on back. Mostly 2 lanes and 4th gear hills and stuff. 4.4 gallons. 42mpg. Past two tanks by myself were 36 mpg! Guess my right wrist is being bad when I'm alone.....cause the 05 surely can get decent mileage when the kidlet is on the back!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101507[/ATTACH]

Starts better and seems to run nicely. Guess I got the carbs right...

mine got better mileage on highway with the back seat full. even just a duffle bag. think when seat is open it developes turbulance in front of the trunk.

Interesting thought, Kelly.

The sad thing about owning both 1st and 2nd gens...is I inadvertently compare the two. They really are night and day. The 05 will never have the acceleration the 89 does. At least mine doesn't....not even close. I may have to take a trip to @V7Goose's and have him show me what's right and wrong!

Edited by videoarizona

• 2 weeks later...
Put your thumbnail on the tank at speed. If the tank is really "buzzing", your carbs are out of sync. If it's not objectionable then they are good. That's what I remember from a post....

Will have to try that next time out.....never worried about my carbs since my bike has run great since I've had it but who knows. :confused24:

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an oldish thread and I'll go to the referenced thread to check on carb synching procedure.. but just reading the carb section in manual and it talks about throttle cable adjustment first and verifying that #2 works properly with the cable pulling full open to full closed (visually) and then to verify that the other three carbs also go full open to closed.. It gives the cable adjustment procedure to get #2 working properly and then if other carbs do do same then you should proceed to sync the carbs (to #2, the master).. I messed with my throttle linkage to get the cables off when I removed the carbs for cleaning.. after that I installed an ignetech ignition and the throttle response is now pretty crappy (revs up slow and then revs back down slow so much that between gear changes, it really doesn't rev down enough..). I'm going to look at that cable adjustment then try to sync the carbs but any comments??

If you still have a working tci, I'd slave that in to see if the response returns. If it does, you may have to upload a different curve into the ignitech.

If its the same (ie: laggy) with the tci, you know your issue is in the carb setup somewhere.

I would be surprised if your issue is the ignitech. I don't think I've heard of anyone buying one off Gary and it not being a simple plug it in and run it deal....

Edited by Great White

Yes, I had checked and replaced my pressure sensor before isolating to the tci.. With the Ignetech I have dingy's map sensor and it seems to work as it increased idle when I pulled vacuum on it.. I haven't checked the map voltage scaling or anything else with the ignetech.. carbs were a little off sync and I'll hit that tomorrow/