IGNORED

Rain repellant

Condor

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the Seattle area. It has been raining a lot lately. When I applied my sample, the rain stopped. Nothing forecasted for several days. I thought it was supposed to shed the rain, not the clouds! I am very impressed with this unexpected benefit.

I did my face shield, KLR650 screen and Venture Clearview screen. Did the whole Venture screen and let it dry while doing the KLR. Also did the back side of the screens to better deal with the stuff flopping over the top edge and running down. I had to rub very hard to get it buffed clear, so I wonder how much it really left now, I was also supporting the rear of the screen. I think there is a need to maybe not wait for it to dry too much.

- Mike (waiting for the rain to return now).

Eck

I live in the Seattle area and commute to work on the scoot.

I wish I would have seen this post a coupple days ago.:confused24:

I am very interested in this product!

Ken C.

Ken,

Send me your mailing address in a P-Email to me, and I will mail you a packet..

Hugs........:thumbsup2:

I scraped all the West Texas bugs off last night and decided to apply the Raincoat. I used 1 packet and applied it on both sides of the windshield. I put it on thin after reading about the difficulty to buff off. Man, I wanted to get out a powere buffer!! It took me about 45 minutes to get both sides of the windshield polished. My initial thoughts are that this stuff better be good for the effort involved. I have been using Plexus for a long time with pretty decent results and a whole lot less effort. I also have a small container of stuff called Zooke that I like for shields and glasses. I will compare all three before passing judgement.

JB

Guest themenz

I am very interested in hearing more about how difficult Raincoat is to buff off. If you guys who have tried will email me your phones, I have a couple of questions,. Type of shield, any other products tried, cloth used, etc. I also want to hear more of how it works on the windshield as well as the helmet shield.

Or call me on 510 799-5100.

I applied Raincoat to my BMW shield and left it on for 4 days before buffing. It was very hard to buff, but I thought that was due to the length of time.

I am very interested in hearing more about how difficult Raincoat is to buff off. If you guys who have tried will email me your phones, I have a couple of questions,. Type of shield, any other products tried, cloth used, etc. I also want to hear more of how it works on the windshield as well as the helmet shield.

Or call me on 510 799-5100.

I applied Raincoat to my BMW shield and left it on for 4 days before buffing. It was very hard to buff, but I thought that was due to the length of time.

TIME IS NOT A FACTOR....NEXT TIME I WILL DO HALF AT A TIME. IT DOES WORK WELL AND SEEMS TO LAST MINE HAS BEEN ON FOR A WEEK AND STILL WORKS "NOT AS WELL AS DAY I PUT IT ON BUT WORKS" BUT I HAVE ONLY RINSED THE SHEILD TO GET BUGS OFF NO RUBBING OR SOAP THEY DO SEEM TO COME OFF EASIER. I DID NOT USE IT ON INSIDE OF SHIELD "SHOW CHROME" SOO ONCE IT RAN OVER TOP I WAS BACK TO THE SAME OLD THING. GOOD STUFF JUST NEEDS TO COME IN A BOTTLE! $1.20 PER APPLICATION WILL ADD UP.

Guest themenz
TIME IS NOT A FACTOR....NEXT TIME I WILL DO HALF AT A TIME. IT DOES WORK WELL AND SEEMS TO LAST MINE HAS BEEN ON FOR A WEEK AND STILL WORKS "NOT AS WELL AS DAY I PUT IT ON BUT WORKS" BUT I HAVE ONLY RINSED THE SHEILD TO GET BUGS OFF NO RUBBING OR SOAP THEY DO SEEM TO COME OFF EASIER. I DID NOT USE IT ON INSIDE OF SHIELD "SHOW CHROME" SOO ONCE IT RAN OVER TOP I WAS BACK TO THE SAME OLD THING. GOOD STUFF JUST NEEDS TO COME IN A BOTTLE! $1.20 PER APPLICATION WILL ADD UP.

Good feedback thank you!

Did you apply in the sun or in shade? Did you use the whole packet? Do you notice any reflections/swirls/haze?

I just did my shield in the shade and it took about 4 to 5 minutes to buff. It was sticky, but then I turned the cloth over and over. That seemed to help.

I want to offer the best instructions, so input is key right now. Before I print more film.

Good feedback thank you!

Did you apply in the sun or in shade? Did you use the whole packet? Do you notice any reflections/swirls/haze?

I just did my shield in the shade and it took about 4 to 5 minutes to buff. It was sticky, but then I turned the cloth over and over. That seemed to help.

I want to offer the best instructions, so input is key right now. Before I print more film.

I DID USE A WHOLE PACK IN THE SHADE MAY HAVE OVER-DUN-IT MAYBE A LITTLE FILM I HAVE THE SKOKE SHIELD AND IT SEEMED TO BE A LITTLE DARKER.

The theory that opening the packet of Raincoat makes the clouds go away was short lived and co-incidental unfortunately. Got 2 days of rain in Seattle so far.

'07 RSV with Clearview tinted windshield.

The ride results:

• Mostly freeway trips with some side roads.
  • Wind above 35-40mph is enough to move streams off the windshield and area between is plenty enough to be satisfied to look through the screen rather than feeling like I need to look over it.
  • At lower speeds the drops are much smaller and gravity or wind was not enough to move them, but they are small and remain very well spaced. If they got dense enough to touch they readily formed larger drops which then cleared up a view between them again and usually started to blow off.
  • Both situations are an improvement over shield clened with plastic cleaners only (Novus or Maguires). I have not tried any other wax or coatings on this shield.
  • I waxed the front and back sides of the shield to take care of the large drops spilling over the top edge. The large drops tend to be heavy enough that gravity causes them to run down to the bottom so are typically not in the line of sight for very long.
  • If I open my center vent a bit, it causes the edge drops to fly off more orderly and not run down the inside so much and tend to fly over the helmet more often.
  • Dirty road spray tended to wash off for a self cleaning action when clean rain hit it. Before the dirty spots woudl tend top remain behind. With the waxed surface, I had fewer dirty water spots and a little rain away from traffic washed things down.

Applying the product:

• Cleaned shield with water, was not very dirty.
  • Applied in garage, maybe 55Fdegrees outside, warmer in the garage.
  • I cut open the sample packet and squeezed out the wax (a thick paste like consistency) as evenly as possible over the entire front screen. I then used a corner of a soft rag to evenly spread it out, working quickly. You will have varying thicknesses.
  • The instructions suggested that you wait until it dries completely.
  • I left to do a second windshield and returned maybe 15 minutes later. The paste had hardened up and turned white.
  • I used a soft clean towel to try to buff off the white paste. This required a significant amount of elbow grease. Enough, and long enough effort to warrant supporting the back of the shield to prevent the possibility of breaking anything.
  • Probably over 10 minutes spent to get things clear again.

I applied the product to another small windshield on a 08 KLR 650 which is about 1ft. sq.

I elected to buff it down before it completely hardened and was much easier to buff clear. I have not had it out in the rain yet, but I believe the majority of the wax is on the shield where it belongs. I will update this post when I get it back outside (it is getting a paint job - do not like lime green!).

I also applied the product to my HJC modular helmet clear faceshield. It was already pretty decent at self clearing with a little wind, but it improved with this application. I will get a better feel for it when I am out on the KLR later.

Suggestion: I think applying to a smaller area and buffing it just a bit before it gets too hard is the ticket. I do not know how much wax is removed by not waiting until completely dry, but as hard as I had to rub with it completely dry, I was concerned much of it was rubbed off forcibly, so maybe all is equal. It seemed to work in either case for me however.

- Mike, K7MDL

Guest themenz
It only rains here in Amarillo twice a year. The sun would cook it off before I could use it.

I am hoping the bugs will be easier to remove with Raincoat.