IGNORED

More thoughts on 2nd Generation scoots

I've owned two Clearviews. VStar 650 Classic and VStar 950 Tourer.

1: Like that it comes shipped with protective film...I can ride it and see if I like the height. If not, return it. As long as film is still on. Little weird riding with protective covering but you can see enough to zip around to try out screen.

2: Recurve really helps shape the wind.

3: Service, shipping and value....is top notch. I'm sure F4 is close. However, I emailed F4 over a week ago about a 1st gen windshield and have received no response yet. To be fair....same with Clearview 4 months ago. No response....from the marketing guy. So this I call a toss-up.

4: Price is comparable...plus if they have a blemished screen...it will be a bargain.

Don't know enough about scratch resistance differences or construction material differences to make a determination there. My 950 Clearview is still in excellent shape after 3 years.

Hope this helps,

david

Latest update:

New Pirelli installed up front yesterday. Totally changed the way the bike handles in slow speed turns. Much more neutral. Still a bit biased wanting to turn "into the turn"...but much easier to handle now. Slow speed starts and stops and u-turns are a piece of cake. So...my front end issues were worn front tire and loose head bearings. I can't wait to lower the front forks 3/4 of an inch. I bet she will be really nice!

I know the Pirelli MT66's are considered a "value" tire....but I gotta say they are great over the tar cracks and miscellaneous ridges on the road. Don't even wiggle!

At 40 psi now for front...and 40 for rear. Going to drop it down to 38 in front and go for a short run tonight. See if that keeps the handling but adds a bit more comfort. Changed headlight to an Ultra bulb...going to check it's alignment. Boy that was a bear to get in there and change the bulb!

david

I owned 2 83 models.Second gear goes out on all of them.Frames broke on many of them But it did to seem to handle much lighter than my 01.But the 01 is much better looking, I have always wanted one.Is it an illness, or is it just harmless affection? After I park in the driveway i look back at the bike to admire it before going into the house.

I owned 2 83 models.Second gear goes out on all of them.Frames broke on many of them But it did to seem to handle much lighter than my 01.But the 01 is much better looking, I have always wanted one.Is it an illness, or is it just harmless affection? After I park in the driveway i look back at the bike to admire it before going into the house.
No doubt about it, its love!!! :Im not listening to

:1hotsht:

I feel the same way about my 1st gen. Nothing could be better than that.

Good thing we all don't fall for the same girl. :cool:

yeah camos, but if your bike could choose between you and me riding her, she would pick me.
Humph!!!

Are you suggesting my one true love is loose? Not sure if I should be jealous or seek revenge. :buttkick:

wel,let me put it this way, when you were asleep, I saw her down at a watering hole consorting with a bunch of harleys.
Oh that, she is just a bit of a flirt and likes to shut down hogs and those who ride them. :cool10:

Nothing wrong with having a good sense of humour even if it is a bit bent. :happy65:

I went from a '92 VR to a '02 RSV and remember many of the things you commented on as well. I eventually forgot about all the negatives and ended putting 120,000 happy miles on my 2nd gen.

I am going through the same thing yet again as I moved from that '02 2nd Gen to a '15 Goldwing. Funny thing is that this Goldwing has a whole lot in common with my '92 VR. Better brakes... more power.. better handling... and yes... less comfortable than my 2nd Gen.

The one redeeming factor for the 2nd Gen Ventures is IMHO, they are without doubt the most comfortable touring bike ever made. Handle twisties like a dump truck compared to a 1st gen or wing though. I also remember that the 2nd Gen felted WAY more stable on the superslab that the 1st Gen or Wing does.

As Brake Pad pointed out... apples and oranges. The 1st Gen and Wing kinda fall into the 'sport touring' category... the 2nd Gen is clearly a cruiser inspired tourer. Ya just gotta figure out which is best for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Another day, another few bux spent on 2nd gen scoot. This past week, I took off the 4 reflectors and changed them out to LED lights. Added an HD taillight/license plate bracket with two stop/run lights and changed those bulbs to LEDs as well. (Note to self: don't buy those led bulbs that only have leds pointing up. Not as bright. The HD reflectors are cheap, dull plastic and don't reflect anything!) Changed rear end oil.

Got about 1/2 way apart on lowering the front end and couldn't find the 2 bolts guys have posted that must come off before the triple tree comes up. I got the fairing apart and pulled it away from the triple tree.....then had to stop. Those two bolts are supposedly in the front of the triple tree and come off before the top triple tree part comes off. After an hour of looking around...gave up and put her back together. Going to spend weekend riding, then maybe get some help and try again.

So far, I'm happy with the way I've been able to navigate in/around and through the various parts of the bike. In some ways, easier to work on than the 1st gen.

Took ride on 1st gen this morning: Accelerated up long freeway ramp...in 3rd...at 5k rpm...cranked throttle...hit redline and over 90mph! Oopsies! Shifted quick to 5th and slowed down. Nice rush. I tend to forget how well geared the 1st gen is. Beginning to think a VMax rear end might be in my future for 2nd gen scoot!

I'm really enjoying wrenching on these bikes.....almost as much fun as riding. Almost...

Looks are a highly subjective thing.

Guys ride "harley-ish" looking bikes all the time around here. There's so many they're almost like a girls fancy purse or little dog; fashion accessories. They never get a second look.

But my 83 has people watching it go by and it seems someone always has a comment when I'm stopped. They knew someone with one, they had one, they wanted one, they're looking for one, they wish they had one, how old is it, how fast is it, how comfortable, how easy to ride, etc...

Personally, I prefer the looks (and function) of my 83. It just suits me.

But im also (pretty much) a product of the 80's and one of those guys that doesn't want to admit he can't ride sport bikes anymore so it fits right in for me!

80's look, comfortable, powerful and yet still doesn't (for the most part) fall to its knees when the road gets twisty. I ride with a wide mix of bikes and ages. When the road gets twisty, the "hog-ish" riders start slowing down and the sportier types start pulling away. The youngsters are always a little surprised when they look back and see my full boat right behind them and not plodding along with the draggers.

;)

i also like that it still retains a bit of the looks of a bike wearing luggage as opposed to newer more "integrated" bags look or even a MKII. All those new bikes with molded in non-removable hard bags (a la gold wing, st1300, etc) are just a little bit too Honda pacific coast/scooter- ish looking to me.

;)

Edited by Great White

Mike...though I like the look of your diamond cut stuff...not sure it would look good with my silver. Black yea...but silver...hmmm.

I love the stock looks of both gens of Ventures. So guess I'm stuck in the 80's as well.

My thoughts exactly till I saw those triple cut fins :173:

Mike...though I like the look of your diamond cut stuff...not sure it would look good with my silver. Black yea...but silver...hmmm.

I love the stock looks of both gens of Ventures. So guess I'm stuck in the 80's as well.

let me know I could send you several pics of the fins on other members 2005 silver ventures, or have a look on my facebook page

Clearview arrived. Pretty. Fits perfectly and looks great! BUT, missing one bolt in it's sealed hardware package. Left message...Sigh.

Got phone call...late yesterday. I can use regular bolts...should fit just fine...and they do.

Edited by videoarizona

• 1 month later...

Update 8/15/15:

LED's instead of reflectors - check

Added HD brake/turn lights - check

Done most of the maintenance so I have a baseline - check

New tires - check

Ignition switch relay - check

Replaced left front rotor - check

New Clearview - check

Tilted tour pack a tad - check - but wifey wants more...hmmm. Guess I'll be tilting tour pack more! Reminder, need brace underneath.

This week: Lowered front end 3/4 inch. Took long ride this morning...141 miles. Freeway and back roads. The front end feels better. Stable (got up to 90mph) but easier to handle at low speeds. Can still release bars at speed and bike tracks straight. With Pirelli tire pressures at 38F/42R cold, the bike is mucho better than when I first got it. Huge difference - tires, air pressure and lowering the front end does to the low speed handling. Almost like adding power steering to the scoot!

So happy with the effort it took to do that free mod. And yes, it was an effort...mostly with the inner fairing. Holding it away with towels then hanging the bars from the ceiling was important too. Once all that was out of the way, the rest was easy. Next time I won't use a magic market...a piece of masking tape would give a cleaner edge to measure from. Only one issue with fairing upon completion: Seems with the Baron's 1 1/2 inch riser extensions...the risers come very close to hitting the inner fairing. I ended up using a 1/8th inch strip of hard rubber stuck between the inner fairing and the riser. Worked...no vibration in bars and the fairing and risers are solid together. For some reason, I don't have the space that @djh3 has...and he has basically same setup. IMG_20150815_102757_954.jpg

IMG_20150815_103552_862.jpg

Next? Don't know...but only another month before we hit our long riding season here in Arizona...so not much time left for maintenance!!

david