IGNORED

More thoughts on 2nd Generation scoots

Two weeks of ownership: Compared to 1st gens

Uh Uh:

1: Wrong gear ratio's for the weight.

2: Flimsy plastic construction.

3: Tour pack smaller.

4: Saddlebags smaller.

5: No additional storage. No places to put sunglasses. etc..

6: Heavier steering

7: Not as slippery through wind.

8: Handling a tad awkward, overall. Definitely a touring bike.

9: Speedo inaccurate.

10: No tach.

11: MPG's down from 1st gen...gearing to high in 5th?

12: Lack of passenger audio controls.

13: Lack of standard lighting. Really like the way the 1st Gen's "Venture" name is reflected at night. Easy to put lights in there too!

14: Not as easy to add custom lighting. (ok..this goes with #13 )

15: No class system.

16: No center stand.

I do like:

1: Added aux input.

2: Seating, much better.

3: 80mph ride...cruises effortlessly except for 5th gear to high...downshifts needed in wind to pass, or climb long 7 degree hills, etc..

4: Ease of getting to major systems (I don't worry about weather issues-those areas can be sealed better easily)

5: Separate antennas & audio system seems much better overall. Less attention needed to make changes.

6: Much better brakes.

7: Softer ride (subjective) with front at 0 lbs and rear at 40 lbs...one up.

8: Easier for me to move bod around without upsetting bike balance at slow speed...IE, turning head to look for idiots running lights, etc..

...and so on. Nothing new to anyone here. Just typing out loud. I'm keeping an open mind since I know it's a different ride altogether.

Well...going to head up to Phoenix in early am and dodge some rain. See if the lady likes it better than the 1st Gen. Her wish for Mom's Day was a ride on new scoot! Note to self: She fell asleep on 1st Gen ride in mountains last weekend. Hmmm.

later all,

david

Edited by videoarizona
forgot center stand

Ruh-roh! The "-" list is bigger than the "+" list so far.... So do you like the 2nd gen or are you trying to make yourself like it?

So far, yes I do. I am disappointed that so much was left off that was good on the 1st gen. I really miss the pouches to put things in....guess I could buy some small metal bars, drill holes and mount my own pouches....but come on guys!

And yep pbj...I do realize apples and oranges...just wish momma Yamaha could have used a tad more brain power and make the 2nd gen "better" than the first.

Okie Dokie. Back from a 400 plus mile weekend. The Admiral didn't like the 2nd Gen Seat or backrest. Nope. Plus more buffeting. Thinking a pillow between backrest sides under the backrest cushion might give her lumbar support. She's 5'4" and likes support on lower back. Also to upright for her...likes 1st Gen's adjustment to lean back. We'll figure that out... Anyone adjusted their backrest? Maybe take it off and put a thin wedge plate behind to angle it back a tad?

Got 41 mpg up to PHX (one up -loaded) at 80mph indicated...and 42 mpg back (2up/1up and more loaded!)...same speed on cruise. I'm real good with that! Though head wind on last stretch between Tucson and Green Valley had very little throttle left in 5th gear! Next time think I'll slow down and shift to 4th. Be easier on me and motor. Also amazed me to have 1/4 tank left plus reserve after 177 miles. If I were younger, I could go after some iron butt awards! NOT! Butt couldn't handle that anymore...nope!

Getting used to handling. Found myself whipping around Tucson this morning delivering stuff to youngest kidlet. I realized I was getting used to scoot when I whipped a 180 to avoid construction in 2 lanes without even thinking.

Well...if I can solve the Admiral's back support issue....and get a Clearview with vent...(solve buffeting for her)...she might like it. She was disappointed she couldn't control the audio though! Grins!

Pic halfway to Phoenix...Picacho Peak...site of Arizona's only Civil War battle....

IMG_20150509_074950_700.jpg

PS - She was disappointed we couldn't get both helmets in tour pack like 1st Gen...but thankful for helmet locks!

Edited by videoarizona
add PS

The trunk on the RSV can be moved back a little, there are alternate mounting holes to move it back 3/4-1". I did this and that small amount really changed the comfort level for my wife.

The trunk on the RSV can be moved back a little, there are alternate mounting holes to move it back 3/4-1". I did this and that small amount really changed the comfort level for my wife.

Anyone looking to do this... the holes in use with the trunk in stock position have nuts welded to the frame. If you move the trunk back then you'll need 4 nuts. Even though it doesn't sound like a lot....makes a difference.

Two weeks of ownership: Compared to 1st gens

Uh Uh:

1: Wrong gear ratio's for the weight. => agree that gearing could have been better. One option is the v-max "upgrade" which moves the shift points. A 6th gear would be nice.

2: Flimsy plastic construction. => only thing I consider to be "flimsy" is the lower cowling. They could have been made stiffer and better quality where the screws fasten.

3: Tour pack smaller. => I can get my laptop backpack in no problem so to me it is a good size. Granted it would be nice to fit in two helmets but if you are travelling then you will already have other stuff in the trunk and wouldn't be able to get the helmets in anyway. Hinged lid should open from the side.

4: Saddlebags smaller. => might be smaller but the top loading is much better than side opening.

5: No additional storage. No places to put sunglasses. etc.. => I added a Hopnel tank bib with pocket. Some add a windshield pouch. Word of advice....don't leave transition glasses in the pouch - the coating on the lenses cracks in the sun/heat

6: Heavier steering => as you mentioned, as you get familiar with the bike you get used to it. Keep an eye on front tire pressure...I find if my front gets at or below 34psi it feels like the front wanders thru corners. Also check steering head tightness.

7: Not as slippery through wind. => probably the difference between fixed fairing and fork mounted fairing. I prefer the look of the fork mount and am used to the windscreen turning with the wheel

8: Handling a tad awkward, overall. Definitely a touring bike. => as mentioned...as you get used to it and you'll find that it handles quite well.

9: Speedo inaccurate. => don't most bikes display on the high side?

10: No tach. => I added a tach but the only time I look at it is when doing a carb sync or checking idle speed. Ocassionally when in 5th gear to make sure I'm not lugging the motor

11: MPG's down from 1st gen...gearing to high in 5th? => stay in 4th longer...don't shift to 5th until you are doing 65+mph

12: Lack of passenger audio controls. => better/separate volume control for passenger would be nice

13: Lack of standard lighting. Really like the way the 1st Gen's "Venture" name is reflected at night. Easy to put lights in there too!

14: Not as easy to add custom lighting. (ok..this goes with #13 )

15: No class system.

16: No center stand. => this heavy of a bike....would be a struggle to put it up on a centre stand.

.... See if the lady likes it better than the 1st Gen. H. => consider passenger hi-way pegs from DiamondR. Your wife will be able to adjust herself or change seating positions while riding

david

See comments in red above

Don,

IF they had made the tour pack just a tad higher, we could get helmets in there. Like the 1st Gen. So easy to put my audio stuff in there, scarf, bungies, kleenex, snacks, flashlight, jacket liners and two helmets! Same with the saddlebags. The 1st Gen I have the saddlebag tops come off straight up, so I can pack the saddlebag and still have room under the top to velcro rain gear, etc..

Think I'll use the 1st gen for camping trips and the 2nd Gen strictly for hotel touring. I can carry heck of a lot more on 1st gen. Now I understand why Cowpuc loves his 1st gen! He can get everything on it and still run nicely.

So far, yes I do. I am disappointed that so much was left off that was good on the 1st gen. I really miss the pouches to put things in....guess I could buy some small metal bars, drill holes and mount my own pouches....but come on guys!

And yep pbj...I do realize apples and oranges...just wish momma Yamaha could have used a tad more brain power and make the 2nd gen "better" than the first.

Another place that Yamaha cheapened the RSV: tool kit.

Here is a pic of the RSV kit:

rsv tools (800x326).jpg

And here is a pic of the First Gen Royale tool kit, followed by a list of the tools included on the 1990:

First Gen Tool Kit.jpg1990 Tool Kit contents from Assembly Manual cropped.jpg And I should note that the QUALITY of the tools included in the First Gen is very good, on a par with Craftsman.

It's like trying to compare apples and oranges.

It is not comparing apples to oranges.

Both Ventures are intended as Luxury Long Distance Touring Machines. The two do have different ergonomics, but as for features, the First Gen beats the Second Gen. Seriously? No VOX? No passenger audio controls? Air up your suspension with a bicycle pump? No centerstand? No tachometer? Smaller trunk? Smaller saddlebags?

Tell me SOMETHING that a Second Gen does better than a First Gen?

Beuler?

Anyone?

Edited by Prairiehammer

Well, I'm bias to my 83 because....well, I have an 83!

I will say I was quite surprised how easy it was to get used to for a "full boat" tourer.

I'm not a fan of the Harley pattern cruisers either, but that's a personal choice. Everyone's got an opinion on that sort of thing. I wouldn't fault a guy for preceding the later models styling. Just what they like.

Whether or not one bike is "better" that the other is pretty close to opinion as well. Sure, if you boil it down to pure numbers like mpg or et one might be better than the other. But we seldom buy bikes like this based on numbers like squids on crotch rockets. These are usually bought for looks, enjoyment and comfort and those things change from person to person. One likes the looks one doesn't, one finds the bike just the right height one finds it short, etc..

I will second the surprising quality and completeness of the factory tool kit. I'm used to most metric bikes having tools that really only resemble tools and were more like play dough hardness when you try to use them. I'm mean, a tire guage? I don't think I've ever seen one of those is a metric's tool kit.

:)

I get 2 Scorpion EXO-900 modular helmets into my tour pack, one XXL one L. Not sure if it's maybe "egg" shaped helmets vs "round" shaped but so far I haven't had an issue.

If I did that I would probably break the hinges. Seriously...my one Scorpion 900 won't fit in at the very center by itself!

What's going on here???

david

Kevin,

The 2nd Gen tool kit is supposed to have an air gauge too. I didn't get a tool kit with mine so I don't have any comparison. I did get a tool kit with the 1st gen...but no gauge.

I think the 2nd Gen rides the freeways better...smoother. Better ride. But that's it. I do happen to love the looks of both bikes!

Course, I love the looks of the 950 VStar too...but it's probably not going to get ridden much now that I have both Ventures.

david

Nope....foam pad...

[/color]IMG_20150512_180352_064.jpg

With helmet

IMG_20150512_180406_227.jpg

Closed with lid resting on helmet...

IMG_20150512_180423_890.jpg

So..if I attempt to close, I'll bend something for sure...:depressed: maybe it's different for different years? Mine's a 2005.

david

Edited by videoarizona
Added year

WOW David - BEAUTIFUL scoot!! And THANK YOU for taking the time to do the comparo' - well done!! I REALLY appreciate your open - honest opinion in the comparison!!! It will really be interesting to see how/if your perspective changes some after you get a summer on the new one.. I cant imagine making the change after all these years on 1st Gens but ya know what, I think with some seat time - that 2nd Gen would grow on me - I LOVE the look!!!

If you and your lady get a chance and wouldn't mind, ask her if she senses that she is setting higher (above you) on the 2nd Gen than on your 1st and what her take on that difference is? Tip has always really liked the feeling that she is sitting just right in height on Tweeks (all she knows) and the couple 2nd Gens we have sat on she always comments that she "feels" like she is setting to high up for her liking.. I have always told her that it may just take some getting used to BUT - I know she likes to be able to duck down behind me when she feels the need.

Also, as "different" as our 1st Gen bars are in appearance (some think they are ugly - I LOVE their functionality and have grown to also like the look) I have always enjoyed them - down and back for me.. Do you feel that you will be needing to do risers and different bars to obtain a good saddle position for long distance or is your new bike pretty decent in "feel" already?

Thanks again for the masterful ride report and info you shared!!

Puc

I would also really appreciate

Puc,

I love the 1st gens handlebars too! They are so easy to adjust. After adjusting mine, the shoulder ache went away...and I can ride as long as I have gas in tank and butt is smiling. I do like to stop periodically anyway. 2nd Gen, I'm going to have to do something with the bars as I find myself all scrunched up in shoulders...hurts!

Pat can't see over me on both bikes....that's the comment she made about height. I'll ask her tomorrow or Friday when she comes down which one is higher.

Also have to say, took 1st gen out today again...but for a longer spin. Whipping around was easy now that I'm used to wrestling with the 2nd Gen. U-Turns were easy as well. Guess that is a good reason to have both bikes. Can learn from riding both! More wind today for me...buffeting. Interesting. Must have been the crosswind! But she sure is stable on the road...

And MPG's are down. And I know why. It's way to easy to crank the throttle on a 1st gen and smile. Really is a far better geared scoot. Simply moves!

david

Another day in the saddle with 05 2nd Gen. We took off for a late breakfast at Nichols Diner in Rio Rico this morning...then on to Patagonia, Sonoita and back home. Nice round trip. Put about 135 miles on.... Total time was 6 hours....included many stops.

The buffeting got to my lady...we stopped for aspirin! Clearview windshield needed ASAP. But she loved the ride.

Total miles on tank is 186 so far...and 5 miles from home (181 miles) she started sputtering...reached down and turned on reserve... back to normal purring. Interesting that I still had "1/4" showing on gauge and no low fuel light...no indication at all??!! The trip ODO didn't kick over to miles to go either. So gauge must be way off. This is the farthest I've gone on a tank since I got her a month ago. Usually fill up at 1/2 tank. But I wanted to know when I would hit reserve with 2 up...now I know. 180 miles is good. Combo of 80 mph freeway, 55-60 mph climbing hills in 4th and nice 65mph in 5th cruising the 2 lane....

And the steering seemed more stable after I tightened the bearings 1/4 turn. Felt better at 80mph....

Pics of mountains behind Patagonia Lake and the Stage Stop Inn in the town of Patagonia.

IMG_20150517_121705_617.jpgIMG_20150517_123907_663.jpg

All in all...a nice ride.

But now 2nd Gen goes on blocks to get some work done. The Admiral likes the idea of moving the trunk back an inch or so to make life more comfortable for her. In addition...want to mount the air horn...get a new windshield...lower the front end and get the pig tail installed so when LED lights come in I'll be ready to install those as well.

Need to ride the 950T around for a while...

david

Edited by videoarizona
clarification on my poor writings!

Hey David, the fuel guage/reserve issue is the same for me on my 99. First I have to switch to reserve, I think around 170 miles, then I get the "F" trip meter while I still have 2 bars on the guage, then shortly after that the fuel light comes on in the dash. I have gone 35 miles on the 'F' meter.

If I ever get around to it, I may pull the petcock and shorten the reserve intake stem because I would rather have the 'f' meter come on to warn me to switch to reserve.

But no hurry for me, because I have become accustomed to leaving it on reserve all the time and trusting the fuel guage and trip meter which have been pretty consistent. Did you vent the filler neck yet (poke holes in it) to allow easier filling all the way up with gas?

Hi Jim, Nope haven't done that. Not sure I need to. I'm ok with going 180 miles on a tank. My butt requires a break usually before that anyway!

Good to know your gauge has two bars as well. So does that mean that the last two bars (1/4 tank) are really what's in the reserve? Guess I'll find that out after I get the bike back together. Need to do some work on scoot....then once together again...I'll fill her up and see how many gallons it took to get to that 180 mile mark. If it's about 5 gallons...then I know I have about 30 plus miles as well for reserve...good to know.

Thanks for confirmation, Jim.

david[/color]

So does that mean that the last two bars (1/4 tank) are really what's in the reserve? Guess I'll find that out after I get the bike back together. Need to do some work on scoot....then once together again...I'll fill her up and see how many gallons it took to get to that 180 mile mark. If it's about 5 gallons...then I know I have about 30 plus miles as well for reserve...good to know

Yeah, reserve is about a gallon. It's hard to get 5 gallons in unless you really run it low.

I'm going to order a windshield soon, too. I had been thinking of going with the wide/tall F4 with vent. I have never had a vented windshield before but I figure its easier to have it and not use it than it is to add it later if I want it after getting the big windshield in front of me. How did you decide on Clearview? I'm not 100% on F4 so just curious?