IGNORED

Another one bites the dust...

beltfed50

I've had a raging fever ever since I stopped in the Savannah Hardley dealer a couple of weeks ago while waiting for the Shellhouse to open...where we saw an Ultra Limited w/mysterious red & cayenne paint scheme. I have read, and drooled, and even begged a ride on someone else's Limited so I could try to get it out of my system. THAT didn't help...and now I've put a deposit on one. I couldn't help myself. My wife rode with me this afternoon, and was very impressed with the passenger comfort. She's hyped too.

Great choice! Hope you both have many safe miles ahead on it.

I have eaten at that Shellhouse many times. Looked out the window at the Harley shop too, but never went in it because I too would probably walk out with the same drooling on my face..

I say, not Freebird's fault! I believe Yamaha is at fault for failing to update the RSV all these years and then leaving us to twist in the wind with not a word about a full on touring bike. I to have bought a HD, got the Ultra Classic Low. It is nice to be able to plant both feet on the ground.

Congrats on the new bike and great color choice.

Things I noted on a 20 minute ride: the stock seats were quite nice, and did not settle into the pan, which was the reason I ended up with different seats on both my TD & Venture. Torque at low speed, which is the main nice thing I remember from the old shakes-a-lots. Did I say TORQUE? It was much, MUCH more smooth than I remember them being. This one had the short wind splitter wind screen, and my wife said it is a big improvement over any of the 3 screens I have for the RSV. I think that's what sold her more than anything. I will likely still want longer bars, and extended foot controls & boards, because while she said it felt more roomy to her it did not have quite as much leg room to me. It didn't feel quite as top heavy, but also seemed more resistant to lean at low speed. 180 turn was not really any easier than the RSV; maybe I just need to get in tune with the bike. I could definitely tell when I got above the speed where the brake system starts splitting...but then I was looking for reasons not to like that because front brakes when I want back brakes idea made me a little leery. It worked beautifully. Overall, and obviously so since I'm about to drop a chunk of change on one, I was much impressed. Alas, because we're soon to close on the house we'll retire to next year I'll have to wait until that's completed before I can do this...my bike is the only thing I owe on but don't want silly people getting nervous! Wait...wait...wait...I should have it by the end of May.

And, yes it IS Yamaha's fault. Both the RSTD and RSV are great bikes; I STILL miss the 09 TD (it was RED!), and I'm pretty dang sure I'll miss the Venture too, but the bikes they're trying to pawn off as tourers...aren't. The "Rushmore" updates are awesome, and it's red!

I've been so crazy busy trying to get new house stuff sorted out I've hardly had time to get on here, but I certainly expect to stick around.

It didn't feel quite as top heavy, but also seemed more resistant to lean at low speed. 180 turn was not really any easier than the RSV; maybe I just need to get in tune with the bike.

That surprises me. Every time I've ridden an Ultra I've found them tons easier than my old '06 RSMV even with leveling links and 130 front tire on it.

Congrats on your new ride! Thinking back to when I bought the RSMV, I was at odds between it and a new Ultra ... just couldn't bring myself to forking out the bucks. Kinda wish I had coz now I'll probably never know if I would have liked having one. Same issue when I bought the Victory but I was looking at 10 grand more for the Ultra. Vic XCT - $23,500 , HD Ultra Limited - $31,900 Plus tax! OUCH! That's a big chunk of change!

That surprises me. Every time I've ridden an Ultra I've found them tons easier than my old '06 RSMV even with leveling links and 130 front tire on it.

Congrats on your new ride! Thinking back to when I bought the RSMV, I was at odds between it and a new Ultra ... just couldn't bring myself to forking out the bucks. Kinda wish I had coz now I'll probably never know if I would have liked having one. Same issue when I bought the Victory but I was looking at 10 grand more for the Ultra. Vic XCT - $23,500 , HD Ultra Limited - $31,900 Plus tax! OUCH! That's a big chunk of change!

I havent actually looked at current the current Harley lineup but it used to be that a person could get into an Electra Glide Classic for well under 20.. The reason I remember that was cause our local dealership had an Electra Glide CLassic setting next to the Street Glide and they were exactly the same price = just under 18k. I was puzzled cause the E Glide came with all the goodies (tour pac included) and we had an indepth discussion as to how Harley could sell a stripped Electra Glide for the same money as a whole one. Turned out, the Street Glide was their BEST seller - seemed modern day bikers dont wanna turn a few wrenches to remove expensive parts and build their own Street Glide.. Any, during that discussion it seems like the sales dude told me that they ALL had the same frames, forks, engine - including the Ultra Classic Limited.. My point is, I wonder if you cant get into a good riding Harley for much less than 30k?

CONGRATS on your new bike Beltfed!! Kids just walked in the door - will right more when possible!!

Puc

Just for a point of reference. I bought my 2013 Road Glide Ultra brand new. I got it for about $22,500 out the door. In addition to that, I got them to throw in a thousand dollar gift card for accessories or whatever and also a riders backrest in addition to the $1,000.00.

Gotta remember, the numbers I mentioned are Canadian prices. We pay a whole lot more up here for what you got down there.

Oh yea brother,, I got a REAL problem with forgetting about this whole Canadian/US Dollar thing.. Plus, isnt the "normal" dealership pricing different between the States and Canada too,,, I bet there is huge difference.. That's not fair, sorry I missed that Silv!!

Things I noted on a 20 minute ride: the stock seats were quite nice, and did not settle into the pan, which was the reason I ended up with different seats on both my TD & Venture. Torque at low speed, which is the main nice thing I remember from the old shakes-a-lots. Did I say TORQUE? It was much, MUCH more smooth than I remember them being. This one had the short wind splitter wind screen, and my wife said it is a big improvement over any of the 3 screens I have for the RSV. I think that's what sold her more than anything. I will likely still want longer bars, and extended foot controls & boards, because while she said it felt more roomy to her it did not have quite as much leg room to me. It didn't feel quite as top heavy, but also seemed more resistant to lean at low speed. 180 turn was not really any easier than the RSV; maybe I just need to get in tune with the bike. I could definitely tell when I got above the speed where the brake system starts splitting...but then I was looking for reasons not to like that because front brakes when I want back brakes idea made me a little leery. It worked beautifully. Overall, and obviously so since I'm about to drop a chunk of change on one, I was much impressed. Alas, because we're soon to close on the house we'll retire to next year I'll have to wait until that's completed before I can do this...my bike is the only thing I owe on but don't want silly people getting nervous! Wait...wait...wait...I should have it by the end of May.

And, yes it IS Yamaha's fault. Both the RSTD and RSV are great bikes; I STILL miss the 09 TD (it was RED!), and I'm pretty dang sure I'll miss the Venture too, but the bikes they're trying to pawn off as tourers...aren't. The "Rushmore" updates are awesome, and it's red!

I've been so crazy busy trying to get new house stuff sorted out I've hardly had time to get on here, but I certainly expect to stick around.

This whole thing is SOOO AWESOME Beltfed!! CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW SCOOT WHEN YOU GET IT BRO!!! :clap2::dancefool::thumbsup: CANNOT WAIT TO SEE PICS AND READ THE STORIES!!:fingers-crossed-emo

One can only HOPE that mother Yamaha is paying close attention to all of the stuff people like yourself (well,, ok,, EVERYONE who is part of this family of ours) has been saying, GET OFF YOUR DOG GONE BACKSIDES AND BUILD A GENUINE - COMPETITIVE - TOURING BIKE,,, YA CANT EXPECT PEOPLE TO WAIT FOREVER!! :thumbdown:

Congratulations. I know the feeling. I just purchased a 2014 same color a couple of weeks ago because of a lifetime want as well. It is such a beauty with this color. ( see post sad day but new toy)

Enjoy and my wife also said she has more room.

I've had a raging fever ever since I stopped in the Savannah Hardley dealer a couple of weeks ago while waiting for the Shellhouse to open...where we saw an Ultra Limited w/mysterious red & cayenne paint scheme. I have read, and drooled, and even begged a ride on someone else's Limited so I could try to get it out of my system. THAT didn't help...and now I've put a deposit on one. I couldn't help myself. My wife rode with me this afternoon, and was very impressed with the passenger comfort. She's hyped too.

You guys are not helping me, lol.

I too have a lifetime desire for an HD cruiser and would likely be into an Electra Glide now if not for job turmoil over the last three to four years. Financially this has likely put me 10 to 15 years behind and I may never fully recover and get to where I would have been. Oh well, new career is much less stressful and I am much happier doing it, so I am better off mentally at least.

Anyway, the 88 VR that I have recently acquired is supposed to keep my HD cruiser desires at bay for a while. Guess I will have to keep reminding myself of the difference in price.

Jimmy

Jimmy, I have made fun of hardley riders for years...even when I wasn't actively riding because for many it's a cult. I'd ridden a couple over 30 years ago and the most memorable part of the experience was loose fillings. I've always thought that air cooled is perhaps not the best way to expect a long service life...so I never really thought I wanted one. Liquid cooled heads helped, but it just jumped on me when we saw that red/cayenne & all the "rushmore" updates. Not logical, but real.

Edited by beltfed50

Jimmy, I have made fun of hardley riders for years...even when I wasn't actively riding because for many it's a cult. I'd ridden a couple over 30 years ago and the most memorable part of the experience was loose fillings. I've always thought that air cooled is perhaps not the best way to expect a long service life...so I never really thought I wanted one. Liquid cooled heads helped, but it just jumped on me when we saw that red/cayenne & all the "rushmore" updates. Not logical, but real.

Gosh Beltfed, I have made fun of about every bike (yep,, even my nasty old 1st Ventures that have carried me all over the country - even right to their faces - they make fun of me too though) known to man at some time or another.. I grew up on Harleys and most of the stuff you have mentioned I have actually enjoyed about them.. Holding up my "friends" on their brand new bikes while that waited for me to kick start my nasty old knee breakin 59 XLCH (kick only - competition hot) Sportster is a prime example..

Grease and oil all over my pants, wrenches hanging out of my pockets and old sock waving at em (grease rag).. But you know what,, they ALL had fun teasing me and asking me how on earth I kept er going.. FUnny though,, they always liked having me in the group,, maybe cause the women LOVED that old Ironhead,, nah,, maybe cause it sounded like a bike is suppose to sound (to some people that is true) or maybe just because it was a blast to watch me have fun (always smiling and laughing)..

Same with my 78 Shovel Low Rider (her name was Hoglia) that carried me on thousands of miles of western excursions.. Even Olivia, the 42 war bike and the 70 Cop Bike,,,,,.. Actually,, the couple Twin Cams I have owned were kinda boring like a Metric cause they were almost to dependable:big-grin-emoticon:

Nahhh,, you guys,, take all the ribbing in stride,, these new machines are no different than any other bike.. Gonna break,, YEP - its a machine.. Gonna have flat tires,, YEP - cause they are tires.. Gonna make ya SMILE like ya aint never smiled before - YEP, especially if you pay no attention to what others think and ride your ride!! :thumbsup:

Oh, by the way, if your broke down on the side of I-90 and I go flying by ya on my beat up old Tweeks of a bike that people like Biker John, Squidley, GeorgeS, Condor and Raggie (and MANY others who I dont even know their names) have helped keep moving in one way or another - I WILL do exactly like these great real bikers in our lives have done for me on a YAMAHA,, I WILL stop and help you - comment you in a positive way about your gorgeous bike after we get her moving again and THAN,, and only THAN,, probably tease you about riding one of them Harley's.. It's the CODE:thumbsup:

ti3 (175).JPG

Slowly we're moving away from the Venture motorcycle and just "venturing" on what we're riding. Perhaps the site should be named ADventureRiders.org :dancefool:

That URL is already taken but if someone can demonstrate the off-road prowess of a Venture they may allow us our own section?

Yup, I have never been a fan of the "cult" thing, or "poser" thing, but have always liked the harley's for what they are - a great touring bike.

Farm tractor technology (lol), lump lump lump down some secondary highway, taking in the scenery, on my way to Idontcarewhere destination - SWEET.

I agree, that red/cayenne paint scheme is gorgeous.

I have no fear of impulse buying when visiting the dealers since I currently can't afford to buy their T-shirts, haha.

Any, during that discussion it seems like the sales dude told me that they ALL had the same frames, forks, engine - including the Ultra Classic Limited.. My point is, I wonder if you cant get into a good riding Harley for much less than 30k?

Yes and No....Only the CVO models and the Ultra models have the water cooled heads. The Road Glide, Street Glide & Road King models have the standard oil cooled 103" motor. Harley dropped the Classic and Standard models of the Electra Glide in 2014. All of these bikes share the same frame it's just a matter of the amenities (windshield, fork fairing, or fixed fairing, saddlebags & tour packs) that make them different models. The water cooling is not something that can easily or cheaply be added to one of the lower models, and that would be my deciding factor when purchasing a NEW model. The water cooling added a 15% bump in torque (HD doesn't publish HP numbers) since the water cooled engines can be built to tighter tolerances than the air cooled motors, yet to be proven but I'd expect engine durability to be better also.

Just make sure its fixed before you get it. HuGE recall on them.

I just went back to work at Caprara HD in Adams Center NY. One of the first things I do when I run the paper work on a new (or even used) bike prep is check the recalls and they get done before the customer picks it up. If the customer wants "spot delivery" they are told that it may be a bit delayed subject to recalls. We do have the parts on hand to remedy the current recalls. Had a customer drop off a 2011 for a recall and did h ave to re-order for that one. But hey, you'll have that