IGNORED

GPS anti glare film

Venturous Randy

On the GPS on the bike or car, especially the Miata with the top down, it is sometimes just about impossible to see the screen or try to program with all the glare. In trying to do some research, there is a lot out there and different types of film. Most want to sell you a sheet for a particular model GPS and I would like to buy a sheet I can cut up for different sizes an even for the screen on my digital camera. Does anyone have any suggestions on what works for what I want?

Randy

I have not found any type of film that actually helps visibility in bright sunlight. It is just counter intuitive that placing something that will filter out some light can make it brighter, but sellers do it all the time. Some filter out certain colors so that it appears to have more contrast and forms an optical illusion of being brighter, but in reality is less light reaching your eyes.

You need a display that is designed to be readable in bright sunlight. Many of the GPS made for motorcycles have this type of display, knowing that there will be no shade on a bike. Many made for cars assume that the roof will shade the display to make it readable.

I have used this product for several years and it is fairly helpful. Not perfect, but much better than nothing in most cases. Great company to deal with. When I first bought it I had a no name brand GPS, I wrote them asking if they had a shade for that model. Guy said no, they didn't make one for my model, but he thought that one made for a particular Garmin would fit. He sent it to me for free, and said if it works for you, send me a payment. Where else can you get service like that!!

Good Luck

I have tried several different films that claimed to stop the sun from washing out the gps screen, none of them have done the job to my satisfaction. I now have a metal shade around the gps that Carbon One bent up for me, is it perfect, no, but does a great job till the sun is low and behind me.

If you do find a film that actually works, I'd like to hear about it.

Made one of those out of a file cad box from Office Depot. $3 fair job. What I will say happens though, if I have on a hi vis vest or shirt, the lime green reflection and it makes the screen un-seeable. Im using a garmin 765.

I used a 765t for a long time on the bike, boat (fishing maps are great!), and car. In bright sun this model is very difficult to read. I recently purchased a 1490t and the screen is MUCH brighter and I don't have any problems with reading the screen, but I lost the FM transmitter & mp3 player capabilities. I hate where Garmin has gone with the features of the current models its either basic "auto" routing or spend $600 on a MC specific unit.

I used a 765t for a long time on the bike, boat (fishing maps are great!), and car. In bright sun this model is very difficult to read. I recently purchased a 1490t and the screen is MUCH brighter and I don't have any problems with reading the screen, but I lost the FM transmitter & mp3 player capabilities. I hate where Garmin has gone with the features of the current models its either basic "auto" routing or spend $600 on a MC specific unit.

Just commented on a thread about that. It seems you can buy a unit you can import your maps from your PC to unit, also no audio output jack. I know most "new" bikes and cars have bluetooth something if you had MP3 in use and it would also send your directions via bluetooth.

By the way here is the "sun shield" I made upon recommendation from a member.

GPS cover.jpg

My problem is not just sun shining on the screen, but any reflection, such as a light colored shirt that causes glare. With this glare, a hood will not help much, if any. I was hoping someone would know of a film that can be applied to the screen that would reduce glare, but still let the light from the GPS show through.

Randy

You could use @cowpucs method and just not wear a shirt......... On second thought, please keep your shirt on.....:confused24::scared:

If you go into any place that sells tablets or cell phones they have screen covers like what you are talking about. They are not expensive, just get one bigger and cut it to size. Or get one smaller and put it on half of the screen to see what difference it makes. ANY film that you put over the display will reduce brightness, but if it is an anti glare film the reduction in reflections may make up for the reduced brightness with an improved visibility.

You could use @cowpucs method and just not wear a shirt......... On second thought, please keep your shirt on.....:confused24::scared:

If you go into any place that sells tablets or cell phones they have screen covers like what you are talking about. They are not expensive, just get one bigger and cut it to size. Or get one smaller and put it on half of the screen to see what difference it makes. ANY film that you put over the display will reduce brightness, but if it is an anti glare film the reduction in reflections may make up for the reduced brightness with an improved visibility.[

/QUOTE]

Is that because @cowpuc has stickers under his shirt?

NO CHANCE,, 100 % PURE =

Thanks will be nice if it does. Thats about the only complaint I have with my 765. If I have on the hi vis vest or I have a couple brite green hi vis type weather wicker shirts I wear. And it really reflects in the screen.