IGNORED

B.O.A.T. (Bring On Another Thousand)

SilvrT

Well, last year we bought a ski boat. Some of you may remember.

One poster made the comment B.O.A.T. -- Bring On Another Thousand.

Well, he was right ... sort of. Had it not been for us swamping the boat last summer against the shore in high waves, it might not have been so bad but that little "escapade" cost us a pretty penny coz it messed the hull up pretty good.

We got that fixed and did use it a few times afterwards but now that we've bought a house, we decided to sell the boat and put the money towards the mortgage.

I'm feeling quite relieved having only advertised it 2 weeks ago, 3 inquiries, 2 people came to check it out, and one bought. YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! The BOAT is gone!

Did I recoup my investment? NO ... but had I rented a boat as many times as I used this one, it would have cost me a lot more so all in all, I'm happy!

Sorry for the problem, but I've owned a boat for 30+ and love it.

Oh, we loved the boat too but it's value was better put towards paying off the mortgage. We want to have it paid off between 2 and 3 yrs so every penny helps. Then we can retire and spend more time ridin!

So wish I could retire right now but, even at 68 I need to work at least another 2-3 years before we're financially able to ... unless of course we win the lotto!

Starting over from nothing 10 years ago, it takes time to get to where a person wants to be. Lost everything except the clothes on my back and my truck in 2003 due to a divorce and bankruptcy. Then I was out of substantial work for 2 years. Finally in 2005 I met my current wife, secured a great job in 2006 and my life has never been better since. Financially she was worse off than me when I met her but we cleared that off. Then my ex tried to stick me with 50 grand in missed spousal payments which cost me almost 10 g's to get rid of her. It's been a tough, long haul. Now we have a house to pay off but that was all part of the long-range plan. 3 years from now we'll be totally debt free, have a reasonable chunk of cash saved and plan to tour Canada and the US on the scoot for at least a year! Can hardly wait!

Edited by SilvrT

Well, last year we bought a ski boat. Some of you may remember.

One poster made the comment B.O.A.T. -- Bring On Another Thousand.

Pretty sure the old definition, which has been around since men started building rafts, is "Break out another thousand" But if you want to bring it....that'll work too... :)

When I was a kid, my dad had a couple of boats. Back then they called them "cuddy cabins" or something. 14-16" and had a cabin up front you could put a mattress in and camp for the weekend or few days. but every time we took that boat out it was something else to buy, fix or whatever not to include gas. SO I picked up somewhere along the line. "A boat is a hole in the water into which you put your money" Me personally I have never had much desire for one. But if you liked it and are happy with the out come kudos. I have hears similar stories about RV's too.

Pretty sure the old definition, which has been around since men started building rafts, is "Break out another thousand" But if you want to bring it....that'll work too... :)

Knowing you and your "other passion" you're right ... in my case tho, I couldn't "break" another thou off the roll coz there was no roll LOL

Well, every boat I have ever owned seemed to have cost me money for repairs. Knock on wood, our current boat has so far not had any problems at all. I actually have it on the market now and somebody is supposed to come look at it today at 2:00 but Eileen told me this morning that she doesn't think we should sell it. She really loves going out on it. The thing is, I just sold the Avalanche that I pull it with so if we keep it, we will be docking it somewhere probably in the Sandusky or Port Clinton, OH areas. We'll see. Here is a picture of it on a trip we took to Lake Cumberland, KY. We camped on it for a week.

Cumberland1.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Well, every boat I have ever owned seemed to have cost me money for repairs. Knock on wood, our current boat has so far not had any problems at all. I actually have it on the market now and somebody is supposed to come look at it today at 2:00 but Eileen told me this morning that she doesn't think we should sell it. She really loves going out on it. The thing is, I just sold the Avalanche that I pull it with so if we keep it, we will be docking it somewhere probably in the Sandusky or Port Clinton, OH areas. We'll see. Here is a picture of it on a trip we took to Lake Cumberland, KY. We camped on it for a week.

Wo, nice boat, Freebird. That one looks like it should come with a butler and maid.

Dale

That ain't no BOAT ... compared to what I had, your's is a luxury yacht LOL

As for selling it ... remember the old saying (and I hope I get this one right .. condor :bowdown:) ... a happy wife is a happy life :thumbsup2:

So wish I could retire right now but, even at 68 I need to work at least another 2-3 years before we're financially able to ... unless of course we win the lotto!

Starting over from nothing 10 years ago, it takes time to get to where a person wants to be. Lost everything except the clothes on my back and my truck in 2003 due to a divorce and bankruptcy. Then I was out of substantial work for 2 years. Finally in 2005 I met my current wife, secured a great job in 2006 and my life has never been better since. Financially she was worse off than me when I met her but we cleared that off. Then my ex tried to stick me with 50 grand in missed spousal payments which cost me almost 10 g's to get rid of her. It's been a tough, long haul. Now we have a house to pay off but that was all part of the long-range plan. 3 years from now we'll be totally debt free, have a reasonable chunk of cash saved and plan to tour Canada and the US on the scoot for at least a year! Can hardly wait!

Congrats for hanging in there!

Here is a picture of it on a trip we took to Lake Cumberland, KY. We camped on it for a week.

Wow, that's a NICE boat there boss. Can't believe you "found" Lake Cumberland from all the way up there in Ohio. When were you there?

CONGRATS SILV!!! :clap2:

Unlike most of the folks on here though,, Tip and I would be lost without out ours!! I have had sooooo much fun with it!! I even got pulled over by the police on Muskegon Lake with mine and ticketed for not having all the stuff on it that the boats that go out into Lake Michigan have to have. I was missing my fire extinguisher, ship to shore radio, flare gun and Horn. The young man who was driving the Police Boat (about the size of Don's boat) thought that because Muskegon Lake hooks onto Lake Michigan that Muskegon Lake was suppose to be under the same rules.. I tried to explain to him that my little electric motor couldnt even make it out of the channel..

I went to court over all this :Bunny: and thankfully the Judge let me off (agreed with me because my boat is only 12 foot in length and has no gas motor) and only charged me court fees of 100 dollars but no fine. I chuckled a little when he did so and the Judge :Bunny2: asked why I was chuckling.. I told him that I now had exactly the same amount in boating court fee's as I had paid for my little flat bottom boat.. :hurts:

All that said, we have gotten wayyyyy more than $200 worth of fun out of ours and have no idea what we would do without it!! :thumbsup2:

DSCN8297.JPG

DSCN8291.JPG

DSCN8279.JPG

Oh we love Cumberland. We have been there several times. Last time was he fall of 2013 though. We first found it years ago when we went to a MTA rally in Somerset. It's a haul pulling that boat down there from Ohio though. I was pulling it with a 1/2 ton Avalanche and though it gets the job done, it is at its limit.

My mother & father purchased a lake house back around 2000 and the family has had their fair share of boats & watercraft since. My father was a carpenter so keeping up the mechanical stuff was never his strongest point, but between him and I we were able to keep everything running good.

1. The 22' Pontoon with a 60hp Johnson has been stone-reliable with nothing more than fuel, batteries, props & typical winter layups.

2 The 1st set of Mastercraft jet-skis were reliable once we put filters on the water intakes and solved the sand-clogging issues, we now have Yamaha's that have been reliable.

3. The ski-boat debacle was our biggest downfall. We get shallow in the late summer and it ended up sitting on the trailer more than it got used and this lead to a lot of wasted money in maintenance. Then the floods in Jan/Feb '08 and it went under water multiple times, that was the end of that....

4. Dad bought a 16' jet boat that was a blast, he passed away shortly after and it was just to much to handle for mom. Had it a year, never even transferred to our name, and made $500 when we sold it.

I'd love to have a jet-ski ... I rent one every chance I get (which isn't a lot) ... being a biker, those are like riding a bike except on the water where ya can fall of and not likely to get hurt.

Few years back we rented one and off we went, me on the controls, Nina behind me. She'd never operated one so eventually we swapped places and I gave her some instruction on how to operate it. She took it easy for a while but with a little encouraging from me, she started opening it up, doing quick turns, etc. About that time, as I was "encouraging her", I wasn't holding on and she cracked it and off the back I went, hollerin my head off and laffin at the same time. So much fun we had on that "toy".

I've got a '96 Wave Venture 700cc 3-seat "Cruiser" that mom uses and loves. Its a nice ski that's stable in the water and can pull 40-42 mph and still pull a tuber. Then there is my '97 GP1200 1200cc 2-seater that is a stock 60mph monster. I've tuned it "down" to be more stable with a better hole-shot than top end performance but either way HOLD ON! Both purchased well used but in clean condition for not a lot of money, if you shop between Labor Day and 1st of Spring there are plenty of good deals out there.

Oh we love Cumberland. We have been there several times. Last time was he fall of 2013 though. We first found it years ago when we went to a MTA rally in Somerset. It's a haul pulling that boat down there from Ohio though. I was pulling it with a 1/2 ton Avalanche and though it gets the job done, it is at its limit.

So I'm guessing that you put in around the Somerset/Burnside area? I'm about 2 hours from Somerset, 1 1/2 from Wolf Creek Dam. Everything around Cumberland should be back to normal now, it was screwed up for a while when they were working on the dam and had the water level lowered. Let me know when you're back down this way and we'll meet up somewhere.

if you all get out west some time , try Lake Powell in Utah. 175 miles long with numerous inlets to explore. A beautiful place. Take a chart of the lake or you will get lost. Fuel stops are about 50 miles apart. Camp pretty much anywhere you can pull up to. I is a great place.

if you all get out west some time , try Lake Powell in Utah. 175 miles long with numerous inlets to explore. A beautiful place. Take a chart of the lake or you will get lost. Fuel stops are about 50 miles apart. Camp pretty much anywhere you can pull up to. I is a great place.

I don't see much for greenery there .... I'd have trouble with that coming from where I live and have boated... check out Shuswap Lake, BC Canada. Shuswap Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia