IGNORED

Is it me? Craigslist rant!

MiCarl

Obviously you never read or watch the news. There are a lot of individuals using craigslist to rob people. Has nothing to do with fear. It has everthing to do with keeping someone from imposing their will onto me. I just hope that one day the only thing I have to worry about is how I get my change back from a cashier.........................

If you have to carry to keep someone from imposing their will onto you then you are in fear of that happening, plain and simple.

Yes, I read the newspaper every day and watch the news at 6PM daily ... around here those things either don't happen or are so infrequent it never makes the news. I have bought and sold a number of things over the years either on craigslist or kijiji and never have I felt I had to protect myself or meet in a public place the prospective buyer or seller.

You folks that live in those USA states seem to have no idea what it's like to live in a world where packing a firearm for your own protection is simply not heard of (unless you're a drug dealer). I feel sorry for those that do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and keep in mind Rickard Racing lives in Michigan near Detroit, the Murder City!

ya, I did know 'dis ;-)

I live in Surrey, BC ... one of Canada's most notorious areas for drug wars, drive-by shootings, murders, theft of property, etc. Some of it happening just 5 blocks away. No idea how this compares to that area.

I don't know why this debate keeps popping up. There is obviously a difference of opinion between some of our Canadian members and some of our USA members in regards to gun rights. There are also those on in both countries who disagree with their respective laws. I don't know why we need to argue about it though. If there are those in Canada who are strongly anti-gun and there are those in the USA who are strongly pro-gun, then it sounds like both are living exactly where they should be. No reason to argue about it.

I don't know why this debate keeps popping up. There is obviously a difference of opinion between some of our Canadian members and some of our USA members in regards to gun rights. There are also those on in both countries who disagree with their respective laws. I don't know why we need to argue about it though. If there are those in Canada who are strongly anti-gun and there are those in the USA who are strongly pro-gun, then it sounds like both are living exactly where they should be. No reason to argue about it.

Who's arguing ??? It's just a discussion as far as I'm concerned. Besides, what's a "Watering Hole" forum for if folks can't discuss (or argue for that matter) such topics. The "no-no's" are Politics and Religion as I recall and I don't see either of that here.

The subject of gun control is certainly a political debate here and in may parts of the world. A very hot topic for many.

There's been no mention of gun control laws or debate of same whatsoever. When there is, feel free to jump in and exercise your right.

I'm not going to have this argument. I could point to a several things already posted here that I can assure you that will turn into a hot debate but you know that. Enough said.

What could be and what is are two different things and the only "argument" happening is the one where you're arguing about what might happen. It hasn't happened so stop interfering. I get it that you run the show but you need to stop parenting and allow us some latitude. Give us the benefit of the doubt. Allow us to "police" ourselves just a bit.

I apologize for being blunt but sometimes someone has to say what needs to be said.

That's all I have to say. Over and out.

Guest Jamsie

I'm with Freebird on this one . there is a difference in cultures,and its not easy for people from counties that dont allow guns to understand why they like guns so much. I think the subject should be dropped and get back to the OP

:duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck:

Stop it, your both wrong......:rasberry: :rasberry: :rasberry: :rasberry:

It would be wonderful if everyone could live in paradise but that is not the real world for most people, we each do what we feel is right for each of us.

Anyplace I have to list a home address I put down the address of the local police department, I also have the local PD as my home address in my cell phone and GPS. The local PD also has a specific recommended area of the parking lot for transacting Craig's list or similar online purchases. It is near the front door where LEOs are constantly walking in and out and has cameras. In the many years that I have been buying and selling stuff I have only ever had one person refuse to meet at the PD. He wanted to meet at night in a parking lot of a closed store. Can you say BIG RED FLAG. I never did meet him.

I'm with Freebird on this one . there is a difference in cultures,and its not easy for people from counties that dont allow guns to understand why they like guns so much. I think the subject should be dropped and get back to the OP

The discussion here had nothing to do with why folks carry a gun or why they don't or the laws associated to them ... it had to do with why they needed to protect themselves while making craigslist transactions.

Rickardracing said "Obviously you never read or watch the news. There are a lot of individuals using craigslist to rob people."

My responses had to do with correcting his "assumption", pointing out that this problem is not as prevalent here, and stating I felt sorry for those who felt the need to have to pack a firearm.

How you all twisted that into it being a debate over gun laws and the for/against argument is beyond me.

Mention packing a gun and folks go off "half-cocked" (PUN intended).

Like I said, for those who live in areas where they feel the need to "carry", I feel sorry for you as you obviously live in fear for your life. I don't. Would I if I were in your shoes.... probably.

My biggest rant, is I get these replies, that tell me they will pay my asking price, that they will send me a

Cashiers check, and have a moving company of like pick the item up..... That their deployed or out of town and can't

meet to close the deal.

Does scam come to mind !!!

@SilvrT: Where do you get this "live in fear" B..S..? Don't feel sorry for us, we feel sorry for you! It's not an "assumption" that a lot of people use Craigslist to rob people. That doesn't mean EVERYONE on Craigslist does, or that ANYONE in the fabulous Canadian countryside does. Enjoy your paradise.

I have sold and bought items on Craigslist and never carried, but I like living in a country where I can if I need to.

I think it might be your arrogant tone that sets people off.

Come on down to the US anytime. We aren't scared and we won't shoot.. and most of us are humble. :beer::stirthepot::stickpoke:

It may not be as common but remember the guy in Hamilton who was murdered when he took a test drive with a potential buyer for his pick-up. That was a Kijiji ad.

It does happen.

Not offering an opinion on gun control...God's Kingdom will take care of all those issues!

hee hee

sorry boss:Avatars_Gee_George:

I think it might be your arrogant tone that sets people off.

I'm sorry if anyone felt my tone was arrogant as I was not meaning to "rub their nose in it" ... I was simply stating how it is here but looking back I can see how it could have been taken out of context. My bad. :Avatars_Gee_George:

:duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck:

Stop it, your both wrong......:rasberry: :rasberry: :rasberry: :rasberry:

It would be wonderful if everyone could live in paradise but that is not the real world for most people, we each do what we feel is right for each of us.

Anyplace I have to list a home address I put down the address of the local police department, I also have the local PD as my home address in my cell phone and GPS. The local PD also has a specific recommended area of the parking lot for transacting Craig's list or similar online purchases. It is near the front door where LEOs are constantly walking in and out and has cameras. In the many years that I have been buying and selling stuff I have only ever had one person refuse to meet at the PD. He wanted to meet at night in a parking lot of a closed store. Can you say BIG RED FLAG. I never did meet him.

Jeff.....that is a really good idea. I never thought of that. I do not have my home address in my gps I use on my bike, but I did notice my wife has it programmed into the onboard gps in the Kia. And I also never thought of using the police parking lot. Ours is 2 miles down the road. Great tip !!!

If I'm selling something big and expensive like a car, I won't discuss price until they show enough interest to come look at it. When they call and want to talk price I say, "Come take a look at it and decide if you want it first. If you like it, we can haggle over the price. If you don't like it, it's a waste to talk price."

Occasionally I run into sellers that want to meet in public places. Sometimes women and that just makes sense. Sometimes I get the feeling it's "I don't want you to know where I live" because the item is defective or stolen. I have had some folks arrive at my house where I though Jeese I would rather they DIDN'T know where I live. But so far nothing has come of it.

I have traveled to Milwaukee or Chicago after motorcycles and found myself in "neighborhoods" that had me VERY worried. Been some places in LA that I probably shouldn't have gone to also. But again nothing has happened to me "yet".

I am also guilty of sending "some guy" to meet my wife at home to buy something. Other times I have just told them where the item is in the shed or basement and have them leave the money on a work bench. Guess I'm really lucky or have divine protection. Um yeah prolly not the second one.

We used to have a big dog that sounded like a "Hound from Hell" when anyone drove up. Good thing they didn't know he was trying to hide under the couch while barking. The dog we have now might make snags on a guys socks and sounds about that "tough".