IGNORED

Whine?

pbjman

Whine? What is this 'whine' so many of you speak of? I think I don't have a whine to whine about. Really, none. Unless I'm deaf. But I don't think so. If I had it, I would know it, right? I think I musta got a good one? What does it sound like? Anybody have audio?

Great question pbjman as I was unsure what to expect either as never having heard one of these bike run. PUC, correct me if I am wrong but I think I can hear the whine through the whole video. Now not to hijack but the sound of the engine on this bike is this pretty much a stock bike? Meaning stock mufflers and roughly how most of these bike sound? If so I will use it to compare to what mine sound like once I get it back up and running again. Lastly is this considered a clutch noise of just general engine noise? Thanks to all who reply.

Brenner, she is a stock motor but

the slight rumble you hear cause of the beat up exhaust on Tweeks, that is pretty much what they sound like - at least all my 1st Gens have.. They do whine all the way thru but are much more noticeable starting around 2800 as the pitch changes and toning down starting around 3100 and is that way thru all gears.. Tweeks has a ton of miles on her,, I have noticed a lessening of the whining sound as the bikes get a lot of miles on them.. I also notice them running quieter when I switch to 20/50 oil for running in the desert temps - which is the oil she has in her in this vid..

You guys,, there has been LOTS of discussion about all this on VR,, if one of the real MK2 tranny/clutch genius's dont show up with more info, a search would probably provide 300 days worth of reading and maybe even some more video sound to compare with,, maybe even some with an actual whole exhaust system...

My 89 does not whine at all but it only has 6k miles on it.

From my reading on this board I think it is a 2nd Gen Venture issue, not a 1st gen.

It's also a Kawasaki Voyager XII issue. The 2002 I test rode howled like crazy. No way I was going to put up with that.

PBJman glad to hear yours doesnt bother. Like i shared on the last post mine only bothers me if i let it. I'm more curious to see if the I basket makes any difference, if it does hurrah! If not oh well :)

As far as 'Pucs video, yeah that is the same noise that we have. Just imagine it at its loudest at 60 and that is what most people deal with. Like you said, a quirk of the engine and i also think it makes them just that much more unique :D

I'm going to do a before and after video when i change my clutch basket out maybe that'll be interesting!

I know there is different opinions about this but when I bought my 2006 RSV the PO was using a synthetic oil and I could hear the whine in the bike on the way home really good. After I got it home and had to replace my stator so I decided to ask my dealer about the whine and he said to use Kawasaki oil in it and it would help with the noise. So that's what I did and I really didn't hear It anymore after riding it for several miles. Since then I have put a stock muffler back on it and you have to be listening for it to hear it. Just my experience.. My local dealer sales Yamaha and Kawasaki bikes. He also said he uses Kawasaki oil in his personal vehicles. I haven't done that yet but he seems to like that oil.

Eat to ride, Ride to eat

I know there is different opinions about this but when I bought my 2006 RSV the PO was using a synthetic oil and I could hear the whine in the bike on the way home really good. After I got it home and had to replace my stator so I decided to ask my dealer about the whine and he said to use Kawasaki oil in it and it would help with the noise. So that's what I did and I really didn't hear It anymore after riding it for several miles. Since then I have put a stock muffler back on it and you have to be listening for it to hear it. Just my experience.. My local dealer sales Yamaha and Kawasaki bikes. He also said he uses Kawasaki oil in his personal vehicles. I haven't done that yet but he seems to like that oil.

Eat to ride, Ride to eat

Are you talking Kawasaki synthetic or regular oil?

My 89 has a noticeable whine, 39K miles, and I'm using 20-50wt Yamalube cause I live and ride in the desert. Before I replaced the pinion gear which was broken, I could only hear that whine!

I believe it has something to do with gear shape. Are these trannies using straight cut gears?

I read some research that explained the difference between the whine of a 1st Gen and a 2nd Gen... The first Gen whine is from the power of the bike wanting to get out and expend the speed and energy that it has.

The 2nd Gen whine is the verbal exclamation from the 2nd Gen riders as the 1st Gen whizzes by..... The only repair for the 2nd Gen whine is to step up to ownership of a 1st Gen. :cool:

:stirthepot:

The 2nd Gen whine is the verbal exclamation from the 2nd Gen riders as the 1st Gen whizzes by..... The only repair for the 2nd Gen whine is to step up to ownership of a 1st Gen. :cool:

:stirthepot:

Which is why mine doesn't whine!!

:rasberry::rasberry: