IGNORED

Thinking about making an offer.

BigLenny

What da heck,, we're all friends here so I think I will hijack another thread,,, I have never owned a Yam v-4 that didnt have a whine.. All of my 1st Gens have had the clutch whine up to around 3 grand.. I know for a fact that all the older V-Max's have it too.. I have actually liked it - gives em a sound all their own..

That said,, I KNOW lots of you guys have owned both 1st and 2nd Gens.. Is there a major difference in the "normal" everyday "whine" of the V-4's I have come to love and the "whine" of the newer 2nd Gens?? If so, maybe the gear lash is set to tight and thats what makes the whine more and also makes em slower than the 1st Gens:yikes::stickpoke: :witch_brew:

Also,, I built up a Twin Cam Harley with a gear driven Super Charger once,,, talk about SING to ya!! If your sensitive to whines and whiring sounds dont ever go there!!!

owned an 85 and a 99 venture. The 99 is considerably louder but I think this is due to two reasons.

The first is the design of the fairing. I've noticed just by leaning back or to the side and I can almost totally eliminate it.

The other is that at 62 I'm sitting at 3200 rps, the first gen is more in the 3500 to 3700 rpm range.

I'm not sure about the second one though. What are your rpms at 62

BigLenny - I have 2 comments, one you won't like.

I can't remember any dealer trading EVEN on anything but I wish you luck in that endeavor.

If you do manage a comfortable deal with the dealer and because he is a dealer, ask for a 90 day headlight to tail light warranty even if you have to pay a little for it. That would surely bring out the dealers inside knowledge of the bike if there is any to be concerned about.

BigLenny - I have 2 comments, one you won't like.

I can't remember any dealer trading EVEN on anything but I wish you luck in that endeavor.

If you do manage a comfortable deal with the dealer and because he is a dealer, ask for a 90 day headlight to tail light warranty even if you have to pay a little for it. That would surely bring out the dealers inside knowledge of the bike if there is any to be concerned about.

Hummingbird, I am very aware that it is difficult to get a dealer to swap even, that's why in my OP I said "or very close to it". I'll take a very close to it. LOL.

I like your idea of asking for a 90 day warranty. Would certainly ease my mind, and as you stated, it would possibly open up some dialogue of their inside knowledge of the bike if they have any.

Thanks,

BL

Hummingbird, I am very aware that it is difficult to get a dealer to swap even, that's why in my OP I said "or very close to it". I'll take a very close to it. LOL.

I like your idea of asking for a 90 day warranty. Would certainly ease my mind, and as you stated, it would possibly open up some dialogue of their inside knowledge of the bike if they have any.

Thanks,

BL

BL - I certainly didn't mean to talk down to you about the even trade. my apologies :8:

One more thing you can ask the dealer - what kind of bike did the previous owner buy to replace the Venture? I understand it was a Harley but was it a full dresser, a cruiser, a bagger,...maybe a sportster?

I bought my Venture several years ago from a previous owner who was significantly shorter than I am. He liked the bike but had a constant trouble handling it, especially at lower speeds, intersections etc. Also, two-up riding was a challenge.

Every new-to-you bike will feel different, foreign at first. And most of them you can adjust to fit you. However, Venture is a big, heavy, high center of gravity kinda bike. Not something a novice can handle with ease. Comparing to a lot of other bikes, it could be difficult for a shorter rider, lighter rider,... You get my point. I wouldn't be surprised that the PO bought it based on the look, price and features and soon found out it is too much to handle.

Check out what he/she got instead.

Hey Gang,

So, I test rode the bike a couple days ago and; it was a beauty! Everything checked out perfectly except for the cruise cancel but button had a little catch to it, and the right side passenger speaker was crackling some. They agreed to fix that if I buy it. The bike ran smooth as glass. Took it for about an hour and it did everything I asked it to do. I still don't believe that the Venture has the same gears that the Tour Deluxe has. It just seems like its a tad less RPM at freeway speeds. That Slipstreamer windshield was taller than my stock RSTD shield, and made things a lot quieter than I am used to. Very nice bike.

Here's the problem: They initially offered me a deal at $3800.00 difference price after my trade. I basically looked at them like they were crazy and got up to walk out. We got into a negotiation that ended with them offering me $2000.00 difference. I'm not doing that. Even though my bike is an RSTD, it is 2 years newer. It is in pristine condition. I keep my stuff immaculate. I also installed about $3000.00 of after market equipment on my bike that I know won't bring that amount when I trade it, but it's worth something. Especially the Ultimate Seats and backrests that I have on my bike. Anyway. I initially offered them an even trade, but left there offering them a $750.00 trade difference with them giving me a 90 day warranty. No deal right now.

The sales rep said he'll be calling me after he works them some more but we'll see. I don't have to buy anything. I love my bike. But, this looked like a possible opportunity for me to change to a Venture. However, I'm not gonna give my RSTD away.

I'm semi tossing the idea around of retailing my bike. Not sure.

Hey Gang,

So, I test rode the bike a couple days ago and; it was a beauty! Everything checked out perfectly except for the cruise cancel but button had a little catch to it, and the right side passenger speaker was crackling some. They agreed to fix that if I buy it. The bike ran smooth as glass. Took it for about an hour and it did everything I asked it to do. I still don't believe that the Venture has the same gears that the Tour Deluxe has. It just seems like its a tad less RPM at freeway speeds. That Slipstreamer windshield was taller than my stock RSTD shield, and made things a lot quieter than I am used to. Very nice bike.

Here's the problem: They initially offered me a deal at $3800.00 difference price after my trade. I basically looked at them like they were crazy and got up to walk out. We got into a negotiation that ended with them offering me $2000.00 difference. I'm not doing that. Even though my bike is an RSTD, it is 2 years newer. It is in pristine condition. I keep my stuff immaculate. I also installed about $3000.00 of after market equipment on my bike that I know won't bring that amount when I trade it, but it's worth something. Especially the Ultimate Seats and backrests that I have on my bike. Anyway. I initially offered them an even trade, but left there offering them a $750.00 trade difference with them giving me a 90 day warranty. No deal right now.

The sales rep said he'll be calling me after he works them some more but we'll see. I don't have to buy anything. I love my bike. But, this looked like a possible opportunity for me to change to a Venture. However, I'm not gonna give my RSTD away.

I'm semi tossing the idea around of retailing my bike. Not sure.

Way to go Lenny!! :stickpoke: Keep em honest partner!! :guitarist 2: