IGNORED

LED Flasher Part Number/source

I need a source (auto parts store, amazon, etc) and a part number for a LED Flasher for my 1st gen bike. Do I need a 2 wire or 3 wire flasher? Where is the stock flasher located in the fairing? I read about a dual component flasher and a starter circuit unit that's combined into ONE unit together; then I read of a individual flasher; I'm just a little confused. Does my bike have the dual component or the single flasher?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dna9656

Couple of things. (the 83 might be different)

1. If you put in an after market flasher you will lose the self canceling feature of the turn signals since that is part of the stock flasher.

2. The starter relay is built into the stock flasher unit. You will have to cut the wires that are not part of the starter circuit and wire them to your new flasher.

There is no significant power savings with running LED turn signals since they are actually on very little time. It is much easier to run the load resistor for the turn signals only and keep the rest of the bike stock.

I do not know which LED flasher would work best with a 1st gen.

It is on my to do list to someday figure out a way to have an LED flasher and still keep the self canceling feature and the starter relay.

From what I recall, the 1983 model had the separate turn signal flasher from the starting circuit cutoff relay, along with a separate hazard flasher and a separate csnceller relay.

83.5 and up it was combined.

The turn signal switch wiring would I believe require modification if you did away with the canceller....ie to hold your signal on since it

returns to center position.

Edited by Neil86

HI ALL!

I have (what I thought was) the starter relay right up next to the POS terminal on the battery, (you know I have a 83.5 DKC2) so I THINK I have the separate setup...Reason I want the LEDs in the blinkers is for the quality of the light the LEDs give. It travels way further in fog and the light is better in rain conditions too. I want my running lights to be LEDs for the same reason PLUS the lower current draw from the running lights will contribute to cell phone charging radio etc. The other reason is LEDs look way cool! I realize I would loose the auto cancel, I can live without it but I don't want to hold the switch in the on position to use the blinker. So Neil is that for sure? does anyone have any exp. with this?

Thanks!

Edited by dna9656

Doug...

okay....

the starter relay by the battery is what you commonly would call a starter solenoid on a car.

The starter circuit cutoff relay is a different animal.....it powers the starter button circuit only if the interlocks are satisfied....ie clutch switch when in gear, sidestand up in gear etc.

The combo SCCR/flasher/canceller relay has 9 wires...should be near the headlight.

On the turn signal switch you will need power on the Yellow/Red (normally from the canceller) to hold the switch contacts in the

desired position, pushing in the switch opens the ground to release them.

Which newer bikes, Doug?

Yamaha combined these units on the 84-93 Venture. The RSV (99-2013) had separate flasher rleays and separate SCCR and never used LED bulbs.

I guess if the lighting quality thing is your prime reason you could add resistance to mimic the stock bulbs and the system will be happy....if its power saving and using another flasher relay you would be doing some harness splicing.

The easiest way to accomplish your task is to add a 3.3 ohm, 50W resistor to the left and right flasher circuit. then no mods to the flasher / canceler / starter relay.

The load resistors that you buy for this purpose are 6 ohm and you need 4 of them, the 3.3 ohm you only need one for each side. You can install them thru the front turn signal openings so there is minimal disassembly required. That is what I did in this thread; http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?77042-MORE-lights

Edited by Flyinfool

The 83 does use a stand alone 3 pin flasher, and 2 pin hazard relays. both are behind the left front turn signal.

I was able to modify a LED rated flasher to keep the auto-cancel function working

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/watering-hole/63802-modified-signal-flasher.html

The 84 and up has the flasher combined in the 41R cutout/start relay assembly behind the headlight

Jeff this is for you. Here is the actual write up I was looking for. I think maybe this is the same flasher used on the self cancel bikes. Pretty sure the second gens anyways. But it may help you all out also.

I don't think that helps with an 84 on up. it is only for the 83. I think that the 41R relay will need a different solution.

You know its kind of funny. When looking for a replacement for my 900 vulcan I had 3 things that were on the pretty important list. Hard bags and trunk, electronic cruise and self canceling signals. Dunno why I think they are all that important. But I know more than a few times I caught myself with a blinker going for what must have been quite sometime after a turn.

Dont know which relay is in what. Just though maybe over all instructions would give someone an idea of how they could fix theirs. I have thought about the pull apart solder version a few times. But I think I would like a "back up" incase things go bad.

Doug....

as I mentioned, when Yamaha brought out the RSV (2nd gen) they went back to separate flashers (turn and hazard) and a separate

SCCR. I'd be surprised they reverted back to that all in one setup again, but don't have access to other wiring schematics.

• 2 years later...
The easiest way to accomplish your task is to add a 3.3 ohm, 50W resistor to the left and right flasher circuit. then no mods to the flasher / canceler / starter relay.

The load resistors that you buy for this purpose are 6 ohm and you need 4 of them, the 3.3 ohm you only need one for each side. You can install them thru the front turn signal openings so there is minimal disassembly required. That is what I did in this thread; http://www.venturerider.org/forum/watering-hole/77042-lights.html

I'm trying to do this very thing, and I want to look at your tutorial, but the link is broken. Any way I can still see it?

I'm trying to do this very thing, and I want to look at your tutorial, but the link is broken. Any way I can still see it?

This is the Link that Jeff gave me a while back let me know how it works out.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=HS50_3R3_1%25virtualkey11260000virtualkey284-HS50-3.3F

and here is fools thread http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?77042-MORE-lights

and mine http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?126360-OK-I-give-up-Trying-to-put-Leds-throught-out-the-bike

I did a little differently But the way I did it I lost my canceling unit, but not really since my unit was FUBAR

The 83 does use a stand alone 3 pin flasher, and 2 pin hazard relays. both are behind the left front turn signal.

I was able to modify a LED rated flasher to keep the auto-cancel function working

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/watering-hole/63802-modified-signal-flasher.html

The 84 and up has the flasher combined in the 41R cutout/start relay assembly behind the headlight

Not sure where the write up went, but this evedently got moved to here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?63802-Here-is-my-modified-turn-signal-flasher