IGNORED

MORE lights.....

Flyinfool

Well now I went and did it.

Just placed another big order for LEDs. :mo money:

Once this batch arrives and gets installed, there will not be a single incandescent bulb left on the bike. This will bring the LED total up to 503 LEDs so far.

I still have about 1200 more LEDs in a box looking for a new home. :whistling:

Some of what I am up to.

I am going to install a brake light modulator on the brake lights that will flash them at 8 Hz for a half second and then flash at 2 Hz for 1.5 second and then stay on steady.

I am also going to install a different type of brake flasher that will flash at 10Hz for 2 seconds and then remain steady on. This one will be hooked up to the horn and will flash all lights except for the HID headlight and HID driving lights, whenever the horn is blowing. I may add a couple of white high intensity strobes to this circuit on the front of the bike just in case the front turn signals are getting lost in all of the HID light.

As a "side benefit" this will save about 12 amps of power for other things like more lights or toys. Coupled with the HO stator and RR and loosing the electric anti dive, there should not be anything dimming when I come to a stop.

I will do pics, video, writeup, and parts list if this all works out.

I also got some more LEDs for the trailer........ More on that when I get that far.

The Internet tells me that my lights are out for delivery.

I should have toys waiting when I get home.

Its like Xmas all over again, there is even still some snow in the back yard.

Camera is charged, ready to go. (now I just have to remember to use it....:whistling: )

did you find a driving lamp in LED also??

Nope, didn't even really look for one. The headlight and driving lights are HID.

ARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

The mail person came while no one was home. Now I have to go fight with the post office to get my package.

I got my package:dancefool:

Got all of the new LEDs installed.

All modes are a lot brighter than the incandescent were.

I have to get a different LED for the Hi beam indicator. the one I got is to bright. I do not have to see the blue light in bright sunlight. I will get one that is less bright.

The turn signals flash super fast as expected, some have said that they like the super fast flash so I figured I would try that first. I don't like it. I will add resistors to the turn signals to slow them down.

Love how much brighter everything is.

Lots of work to do yet.

No "extras" yet. There are still places on the bike that do not have lights........

Misunderstood the comment about "1200 LEDs looking for a home" lol

So where have you been getting these from? Are they reasonably priced?

Well the load resistors should be here Thursday.

I am going to try something different with the load resistor. Instead of hooking it up as one resistor per turn signal as recommended, (this means 4 resistors required one at each bulb) I am going to try it with one central resistor to handle the entire flasher system for both turn signals and 4 ways.

I also ordered the parts to build my "super flasher".

I do not like the brake flashers for this purpose, so I am designing and building my own flasher circuit so I can tailor it to this exact purpose.

The plan is to have a flasher system hooked up so that whenever the horn is blowing, all of the non HID lights on the bike will be flashing at around 6-12 Hz. This should help the poor misguided person that just cut me off, figure out where the danger is, (or make me a target, not sure which:confused24:).

Well the load resistors should be here Thursday.

I am going to try something different with the load resistor. Instead of hooking it up as one resistor per turn signal as recommended, (this means 4 resistors required one at each bulb) I am going to try it with one central resistor to handle the entire flasher system for both turn signals and 4 ways.

I also ordered the parts to build my "super flasher".

I do not like the brake flashers for this purpose, so I am designing and building my own flasher circuit so I can tailor it to this exact purpose.

The plan is to have a flasher system hooked up so that whenever the horn is blowing, all of the non HID lights on the bike will be flashing at around 6-12 Hz. This should help the poor misguided person that just cut me off, figure out where the danger is, (or make me a target, not sure which:confused24:).

And he will just "Go Toward The Light!!":rotfl:

well the load resistors should be here thursday.

The plan is to have a flasher system hooked up so that whenever the horn is blowing, all of the non hid lights on the bike will be flashing at around 6-12 hz. This should help the poor misguided person that just cut me off, figure out where the danger is, (or make me a target, not sure which:confused24:).

i love this idea!!!!!!

Progress

I have the circuit boards laid out, and some additional components on order.

The PCB is only 1" wide X 2-3/8 long X 3/8 thick and will have 4 wires coming out of one end. It will not be bad to build with just 8 components, and 4 wires to solder down.

The board house that I am going to use has a minimum order of 9 boards, so I may have some spares for interested parties.

ASSUMING that this actually works as planned........:whistling:

Warning do not try to make boards from these layouts, I have fixed a couple minor errors since I made these PDFs

75539.pdf

Edited by Freebird
oopie

Progress

I have the circuit boards laid out, and some additional components on order.

The PCB is only 1" wide X 2-3/8 long X 3/8 thick and will have 4 wires coming out of one end. It will not be bad to build with just 8 components, and 4 wires to solder down.

The board house that I am going to use has a minimum order of 9 boards, so I may have some spares for interested parties.

ASSUMING that this actually works as planned........:whistling:

Warning do not try to make boards from these layouts, I have fixed a couple minor errors since I made these PDFs

I may be in for one of those boards if it'll work on a modern bike :stickpoke::thumbsup2:

Here are short vids to show the difference between the incandescent and LED turn and brake bulbs, with the 4 way flashers on.

LED bulbs in one side with the brake light on.

http://youtu.be/kf8XH4uJgGs.

LED bulbs in one side with brake light off.

http://youtu.be/LxE9idI9ZEU.

This is a short vid of the bread boarded flasher that will flash all of the lights on the bike when the horn is sounding. I think that the flash speed may be a little fast, It might be more grabbing if I slow it down a bit.

Edited by Flyinfool

Well I have finalized the component values, and placed an order for parts to be able to make 5 of my Horn Flasher Boards up.

I have settled on a flash rate of 6.5 flashes per second. This is what looked the most attention getting to me. This will only work with LED lighting, Incandescents turn on and off to slow, they can not flash that fast.

The final board layout is 1.125 x 2.5 x .5.

I have it designed to be able to flash 4 separate circuits, I will be flashing the left turn, right turn, and brake lights. If the trailer is hooked up it will flash those lights also. I am planning to add a pair of 10W white LED driving lights near the front axle and will use the remaining flasher channel for those.

Hookup to the bike should be fairly easy, one wire to ground, one wire to the horn side of the horn relay circuit, and one wire for each circuit that you want to flash with the horn. If you do not have a horn relay, you may want to add one. The blocking diodes are already built into the board so that the connected circuits will not interfere with each other.

The flasher can handle a max of 35 total Amps with a Max of 10 Amps on any one channel.

I am going to try out a process that uses my laser printer to make the circuit boards. If this works I can make the boards at home fairly inexpensively. :fingers-crossed-emo

If it does not work out well, then I will have to go back to having them made at a board house. :mo money::crying:

75894.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Here is the list of LED bulbs that I used. (so Far:whistling:)

All are from http://www.superbrightleds.com.

Not the cheapest bulbs around but I have never been disappointed with their products.

These are all far brighter than the incandescents they replace.

In the dash;

WLED-AHP, 194 LED Wedge Base Bulb, Amber, Qty 2

WLED-GHP, 194 LED Wedge Base Bulb, Green, Qty 1

WLED_BHP, 194 LED Wedge Base Bulb, Blue, Qty 1

WLED-CWHP15-TAC, 194 LED Wedge Base Tower White, Qty 4

Brake lights;

1157-R45-T, 1157 LED bulb, Dual intensity 45 SMD LED Tower, Red, Qty 2

Turn signals;

1157-A45-T, 1157 LED Bulb, Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower, Amber, Qty 2

1156-A45-T, 1156 LED Bulb, Single Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower, Amber, Qty 2

Anyone know what the number is for the headlight bulb on the 1993?:lightbulb:

Do a search on here for 'Sylvania', I think there is a silverstar recommended quite a bit.

I think stock bulb is an H4, but verify that.

Gary

Well I have finalized the component values, and placed an order for parts to be able to make 5 of my Horn Flasher Boards up.

I have settled on a flash rate of 6.5 flashes per second. This is what looked the most attention getting to me. This will only work with LED lighting, Incandescents turn on and off to slow, they can not flash that fast.

The final board layout is 1.125 x 2.5 x .5.

I have it designed to be able to flash 4 separate circuits, I will be flashing the left turn, right turn, and brake lights. If the trailer is hooked up it will flash those lights also. I am planning to add a pair of 10W white LED driving lights near the front axle and will use the remaining flasher channel for those.

Hookup to the bike should be fairly easy, one wire to ground, one wire to the horn side of the horn relay circuit, and one wire for each circuit that you want to flash with the horn. If you do not have a horn relay, you may want to add one. The blocking diodes are already built into the board so that the connected circuits will not interfere with each other.

The flasher can handle a max of 35 total Amps with a Max of 10 Amps on any one channel.

I am going to try out a process that uses my laser printer to make the circuit boards. If this works I can make the boards at home fairly inexpensively. :fingers-crossed-emo

If it does not work out well, then I will have to go back to having them made at a board house. :mo money::crying:

What software are you using for circuit design ??

Gary