IGNORED

Bambi not doing too good.

Yammer Dan

Congrats to your granddaughter and Shawn. I bet they sure are excited.

I've only went deer hunting one time in my life. I remember it well.. Got up at 3am with brother in law and headed to Bald Eagle mountain in PA. It was cold and drizzling..Walked up the mountain part way and sat under a big pine. Brother in law said he was going 150 ft to my right. I Waited...waited...waited..and waited for deer.. 9am, I got up and headed to top of mountain. A 3 mile hike, in the rain...Never did see my brother in law again...Decided I had enough.. headed down the mountain. I hear something and I stopped moving. Next thing I see is 6 deer running right towards me. Then they all stopped not 40 feet from me. We were all looking at each other. I raised the riffle, looked through the scope and had the largest one in the cross hairs.. I lowered the gun, and stood there. I could not shoot one. I stomped my feet and began yelling get, get, get.. and they all took off. I waled down the mountain back to the truck and there was the brother in law.. dry as heck. He said he gave up about an hour into the day and came back to the truck. I have never gone hunting again in my life. I don't eat deer so why hunt them. I leave them in the woods for people like you who do hunt and eat them.

Congrats to Alyssa and Shawn!

Just came in for lunch.

Too warm and way to windy (18 mph gusting to 38)

Deer don't like to move when its windy...

Seen two doe this morning.

Got back on 4 wheeler, went to top of mountain and a big 8 point ran across the road about 20 feet in font of me.

will go back about 3pm

Both my stepson and sister-in-law are avid deer hunters. They each have their own deer lease property's down here.

I'm with you Eck....since I came back from Nam I have never pulled the trigger on a deer. Having said that tho I am hell on wheels when it comes to shooting feral hogs!! I normally kill enough (2-3) to make up a good supply of venison sausage which we use all year long. My lever-action 44 magnum rifle makes short work of a hog no matter what size it happens to be.

Boomer....who sez a chicken gumbo widdout venison sausage jest ain't right.

Way cool on the kids there Yammer - tell em both CONGRATS for me will ya!!

I was a very avid deer hunter here in Michigan all my life,, my kids were raised on venison.. "Harvested" (Politically Correct verb for the day boys and girls) many with both bow and gun.. Always processed our own too,, shoulda seen Tippy carve up a hind quarter,,, good enough with a blade that it'd scare ya..

Boomer,, you just answered a major question that I have always wondered about.. All the talk thru the years of "Hogs Gone Wild" down there,, being a hunter a heart - I ALWAYS wondered if there was something "different" about them that made em not good eatin.. I ALWAYS told Tip,, if we lived down there I WOULD find a way to "Harvest" those suckers and keep the freezer full of HAM, BACON, BBQ'd RIBS AND HOG ROAST!! My little smoker would be running 24/7 PACKED with ribs...

I'm with Puc on wanting to hunt these "Hogs" . I just said yesterday at the last day of our fire arms season at deer camp with my closest friend in the world who I met 26 years ago hunting in the same spot ,I wish we had them hogs here in Minnesota to hunt. He just said "no you don't" . We had another great year . My friend Garry tagged a buck 3 weeks ago and I let some smaller ones go by and never shot my gun.We stay in a Toyota 1 ton motor home for the last 20 years and it's something we look forward to every year , just wish the years wouldn't go by so fast. Last Thursday night the temp got to -1° but we stay warm in the "Turtle" then by Sunday it was 40° and raining. I try never to wish time away but I can't wait till next year.

Way cool on the kids there Yammer - tell em both CONGRATS for me will ya!!

I was a very avid deer hunter here in Michigan all my life,, my kids were raised on venison.. "Harvested" (Politically Correct verb for the day boys and girls) many with both bow and gun.. Always processed our own too,, shoulda seen Tippy carve up a hind quarter,,, good enough with a blade that it'd scare ya..

Boomer,, you just answered a major question that I have always wondered about.. All the talk thru the years of "Hogs Gone Wild" down there,, being a hunter a heart - I ALWAYS wondered if there was something "different" about them that made em not good eatin.. I ALWAYS told Tip,, if we lived down there I WOULD find a way to "Harvest" those suckers and keep the freezer full of HAM, BACON, BBQ'd RIBS AND HOG ROAST!! My little smoker would be running 24/7 PACKED with ribs...

Puc...The boars are not worth eating. The sows are great when used for sausage tho!! I leave the boars for the coyotes and vultures. We are over-run with feral hogs down here. On a good day I can send 10-12 of em to their maker...LOL.

Puc...The boars are not worth eating. The sows are great when used for sausage tho!! I leave the boars for the coyotes and vultures. We are over-run with feral hogs down here. On a good day I can send 10-12 of em to their maker...LOL.

Why is that so Boomer? That is the kinda talk I have always heard.. Is there something wrong with the meat in those boars? Why cant ya just go nail one,, I mean "harvest" one, or two or 20 and have a great big perpetual pig roast?? Open a side of the road cafe,, like some of you suthena's do with boiled peanuts (yuck,, this ol carnivore didnt much care for that stuff) and turn them little squealers into CASH!! Use the $$'s ya make to buy a new bike - when life gives ya lemons (or pigs) make lemonaid so to speak.. I get feeling better I will come down there and show ya'll how its done!! Shoot them suckers,, I mean "harvest" those hogs when they are even just little piggies if that what it takes,,, 20 little piggies when they are still good eatin is better than lettin em destroy stuff....

Sorry,, fingers got away from me... Anyway,,, so when ya nail,, harvest, a sow do ya hafta hang em upside down and drain em right away like I have heard they do with normal Pigs?? Or can ya just pop it, pull out the inner workings, take it home in the garage, skin it, slice it up and go to grinding for sausage?? Also,, I have heard that the best time to hunt them is at night? Can you go out on state land down there, shimmy up a tree (like we do here for deer), take a night vision scope (cant hunt deer here after hours but have done a LOT of racoon nite hunting) and a rifle and hunt em?? Man that sounds like a LOT of fun!!!

Why is that so Boomer? That is the kinda talk I have always heard.. Is there something wrong with the meat in those boars? Why cant ya just go nail one,, I mean "harvest" one, or two or 20 and have a great big perpetual pig roast?? Open a side of the road cafe,, like some of you suthena's do with boiled peanuts (yuck,, this ol carnivore didnt much care for that stuff) and turn them little squealers into CASH!! Use the $$'s ya make to buy a new bike - when life gives ya lemons (or pigs) make lemonaid so to speak.. I get feeling better I will come down there and show ya'll how its done!! Shoot them suckers,, I mean "harvest" those hogs when they are even just little piggies if that what it takes,,, 20 little piggies when they are still good eatin is better than lettin em destroy stuff....

Sorry,, fingers got away from me... Anyway,,, so when ya nail,, harvest, a sow do ya hafta hang em upside down and drain em right away like I have heard they do with normal Pigs?? Or can ya just pop it, pull out the inner workings, take it home in the garage, skin it, slice it up and go to grinding for sausage?? Also,, I have heard that the best time to hunt them is at night? Can you go out on state land down there, shimmy up a tree (like we do here for deer), take a night vision scope (cant hunt deer here after hours but have done a LOT of racoon nite hunting) and a rifle and hunt em?? Man that sounds like a LOT of fun!!!

If it's a sow I field dress it just like a deer and transport it to folks who make our venison sausage. The boars are no good unless ya trap one-castrate him-and put him on good feed for a few months. The boars are REALLY gamey unless ya do all that stuff to him.

Here in Loozeeanner you can hunt feral hogs 24/7 as long as ya have a La.Hunting License. I don't know about hunting them on State property. I'm pretty well set using the deer leases I have access to.

We have so many down here you can get them day/night. They like to eat from the deer feeders that the deer hunters keep set up with deer corn. I normally hunt them at night tho so as not to disturb the deer hunters. No one can shoot deer at night here in Loozeeanner....unless they want to spend time in jail.

I've cussed the idiots for years that take 4-wheelers hunting here. They mostly just tear everything up and scare all the deer clear out of the country. But maybe I could just sneak that thing up on top of the hill and park there??I hate to do it but sure would like to hunt a little.

I've cussed the idiots for years that take 4-wheelers hunting here. They mostly just tear everything up and scare all the deer clear out of the country. But maybe I could just sneak that thing up on top of the hill and park there??I hate to do it but sure would like to hunt a little.

If you have feral hogs in your area all ya need is a pile of deer corn on the ground....and a spot close by from which to shoot (25-40 yards from the corn pile). And a 4-wheeler comes in handy for hauling that hog back to your truck!

Dan,

Check with DNR.

Had a bud that went thru quadruple bypass and he was allowed to hunt off of his four wheeler.

In any case, It's illegal to have a weapon loaded while operating a four wheeler.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Well, I have to brag a little on my grandkids. Our oldest son, Daniel (the one that supplies all the fish for our annual meet n eats) has 3 kids: Mercedes 12 yrs old, Caiden 9 years old, and BT (Byron Tanner) who is 6. Mercedes has taken several deer in her short lifetime. Caiden is catching up to her very quickly. BT finally got to hunt this year and got his first deer, a large doe, which we brought home and processed ourselves. Very good eating. He was very proud that he supplied food for his family this year. Venison is what we eat the most of around here. What is new this year is that Mercedes is now field dressing (gutting) ALL the deer now. She is very good at it and really enjoys doing it. She is pretty handy with a knife. We have decided we won't be worried about her when she is old enough to start dating. I think the boys will be on their best behavior with her once they see her knife handling expertise!

son, Jason (the pilot) is home this weekend for the holidays with his family. He is getting ready to take his 2 boys out deer hunting for the first time in the morning. they are all excited. Practiced with the 243 today and did remarkably well. I have no fear they can drop what they aim at. We are enjoying their short visit for the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Patti and Don

My son has been watching this deer since the bow season started on Oct. 1st. Well he finally outsmarted it last Sunday. only 15 mins. left till the end of shooting time. In his tree stand on Saturday and it never came in for a good shot. On Sunday he took his ground blind over to where the deer was coming out of and it walked right to him. His patience paid off. Venison bacon coming soon:fingers-crossed-emo

resized.jpg

Spent the day yesterday skinning and cutting up my deer. I've got it all boned and trimmed. I'll package it up tomorrow, and I'll grind my burger and take some to the meat market to get sausage ans ring balogna made.

Gonna do another skull mount on this one. I've done a few of them before.

8 point buck.jpg

My son has been watching this deer since the bow season started on Oct. 1st. Well he finally outsmarted it last Sunday. only 15 mins. left till the end of shooting time. In his tree stand on Saturday and it never came in for a good shot. On Sunday he took his ground blind over to where the deer was coming out of and it walked right to him. His patience paid off. Venison bacon coming soon:fingers-crossed-emo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95461[/ATTACH]

BEAUTIFUL BUCK THERE BEEMER!! Yip,,, that boy of yurn is a hunter!! Tell em ol Puc said congrats!!

Spent the day yesterday skinning and cutting up my deer. I've got it all boned and trimmed. I'll package it up tomorrow, and I'll grind my burger and take some to the meat market to get sausage ans ring balogna made.

Gonna do another skull mount on this one. I've done a few of them before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95462[/ATTACH]

GORGEOUS EAGLEEYE!! CONGRATS!!

I was an avid hunter when I was growing up, mostly squirrels, rabbits, and quail. Then I got to the point I didn't want to kill an animal especially Bambi. THEN, many years later, I was working in Nebraska and one night I was headed to my AutoCAD class at Peru College and a big buck ran into my car in a 35 zone in Peru Nebraska. That is when I decided that deer were so stupid that they were meant to be eaten. I still don't hunt but I would hunt deer.

I got mine on opening morning. He is a nice 12 pointer (we call it a 6 x 6). My son Collin got a very nice 5x5. My son Chris is having trouble getting his. He recently had knee surgery and was lucky enough to apply and get a temporary handicapped permit so he can shoot from a parked vehicle. It is a big help for him, but tradeoff is getting him close enough to deer. There is enough snow on ground to make it difficult to get out to the deer. All in all we've had a good year, and I've destroyed enough vehicles by hitting deer, that I don't feel sorry for them. Best part of the season is getting together with neighbors and processing them. Its not the hunt, its what comes after that you remember most. Just the other day we were processing a couple of deer with neighbors, and my daughter who is now 12 decides its time for her to help. She wants to hunt next year, and is now starting to get involved. So we will get her started in all the safety courses. I was talking to one of my friends and he commented on what good boys I have (they are now 22, and 19), we sat back and watched the boys try and help their little sister cutting up her first deer. It made me proud, and to think each season was like the little corner where you used to have your kids stand so you could mark the wall to record how much they have grown. My boys have grown so much, this year I finally realized that they aren't boys anymore, they are fine young men. The hunting is secondary......