IGNORED

Coolant Pool After Ride...Should I Fix Before Winter Hibernation?

85 VR. Went for ride a few weeks ago. Probably the last really warm day we had here in Ontario. Got home, parked it in the garage and next morning there was a pool of antifreeze on the floor. I know it needs to be looked at and fixed (neither have been done yet) my question is, should I get this done before I tuck her in for the winter or can it wait until the spring and weather is nicer to work on it in my un-insulated garage? :cold:

Thomas

I doubt you'll have any trouble if you wait, but me...personally...I'd try to get it fixed a.s.a.p.

Your bike is telling you there is a problem, maybe when you start riding again next year there is no leak...great right? But if your luck is anything like mine, at the worst time possible, that tiny leak could become a full on blow-out...you catch my drift?

For my money....fix it now, there's bound to be a couple of nice days between now and next riding season, besides, wouldn't you rather be riding on that nice afternoon?

That's what I would do...

That is a common problem with 29 year old O-rings.

The most common one is the drain valve. but it could also be the ones on the thermostat housing or water pump tube.

The Oring gets hard and shrinks with age. When the bike is warm the Oring softens and grows so it stays sealed while warm, once it gets cold the Oring shrinks and hardens and lets a bit of coolant leak out.

If it is the drain valve, it is a very quick easy fix. Skydoc_17 sells a kit to do this.

There is a drain valve, front n center under the rad, and the water pump that need old time service. That means they need service from getting old. Easy to do, need not take more than 1.5 hrs, and you should change the coolant by now anyways. As mentioned, call Skydoc.

Thank you all for your input. I checked overflow bottle (empty) and filled it to full line. I started her up about an hour ago. Let her get warm enough for the fan to kick in a few times. I have her on centre stand and I am now waiting for her to cool down to see if anything leaks due to seal contraction. While running, nothing was leaking. Not a drop. :fingers-crossed-emo

Thomas

That sure sounds like old seal behavior.

Mine took many hours of cooling before it would loos the first drop. and it has to be pretty cool out. It took me 2 years to finally catch mine in the act and identify the leak. Just watch the overflow to keep it full and it is still ride able.

Went for a long run to Phoenix two weeks ago. Next morning...about two tablespoons of coolant on ground. Rode back home and no leak. No leak since. Coolant bottle was right on mark, too. What is going on?

Couldn't see any source of leak either.

Ah well...another ride coming up from Tucson to Flagstaff then down to Sedona and back. We shall see.

I FOUND IT! Thermostat cover has a ring of antifreeze surrounding it. My guess is gasket is old and shriveled (not unlike the owner). I figure it's ok to let sit for the winter and can wait until spring to repair. I really don't want to work in -10C in un-insulated garage.

Thanks to all who responded. Nice to know mine isn't the only one that likes to dribble after a ride.

:Laugh:

Thomas

Went for a long run to Phoenix two weeks ago. Next morning...about two tablespoons of coolant on ground. Rode back home and no leak. No leak since. Coolant bottle was right on mark, too. What is going on?

Couldn't see any source of leak either.

Ah well...another ride coming up from Tucson to Flagstaff then down to Sedona and back. We shall see.

Same scenario on tour last summer. First leak was the morning after a Flagstaff - Grand Canyon round trip. Leaked a few spoonfulls overnight. Detected 2 leaks, around thermostat cover and near the bottom of the rad above the throat hose connection. This happened 3 times that week and never so much as a drop since, that was about 20k miles ago. The only thing in common I can think of for the leaks was extreme temps of 115F+ running 2 up and sudden temperature contraction with overnight cooling in the 50's.

(Death Valley was predicted to have a new record high of 130f + that week, I don't think it quite reached :scorched:) Guess I lucked out, leaks stopped on their own.

I since carry a spare plastic thermostat housing & O ring.

I FOUND IT! Thermostat cover has a ring of antifreeze surrounding it. My guess is gasket is old and shriveled (not unlike the owner). I figure it's ok to let sit for the winter and can wait until spring to repair. I really don't want to work in -10C in un-insulated garage.

Thanks to all who responded. Nice to know mine isn't the only one that likes to dribble after a ride.

:Laugh:

Thomas

Thermostat cover is another known leak spot. There is also a rubber o-ring in that cover. That cover is very close to the exhaust pipe and has been known to warp.