IGNORED

2nd Gen FINALLY gets Apes

TheKid

So I have posted a few times in years past of wanting to put ape hangers on my 2nd gen venture. I have owned bikes with apes before and always liked the feel and look.

Well time finally came around...I found a shop that had a few different styles and makes of bagger apes. I tried a few different ones. I wanted to go with the Fat Apes but the 1.25" diameter reduced to 1" in middle for risers did not work. The width of the reduction was just a smidgen to small. Results are that any 1" diameter bar will fit.

I went with the 12" Paul Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes. I already had the 1.5" riser extension so I left them as well. If he would have had the 14" I may would have gone that route, but glad I didn't because then the radio control wouldn't have fit

I had already switch all my hoses and cables to SS from the Tour Deluxe back a while when I went to the TD bars. The throttle cables and clutch hose were long enough to keep. I had to go to a 24" SS upper front brake hose though. You will also have to extend all the wires for the switch housings. The radio controller fits but you have to go inside the fairing and reroute the cable to make it stretch enough. Put new ISO grips and DONE.

Now it is time to put many many miles on these bars.

MRSV Apes.jpg

Looks interesting. Have you had a chance to ride it to see how it feels? How is it for cornering or sweeping curves?

I am taking it out tomorrow to ride. I am sure it will be different of course but should handle fine. I have owned and ridden many bikes with apes. I will report back. It takes some getting use to at slow speeds because it is a wider turn now for the hands. They aren't as high as some may think my hands are right below my shoulders.

I've been looking to go to a different bars on my Venture but all the chatter says that HD "fit" bars will not clamp properly due to the different spacing on the risers; the knurled parts will not line up properly. Are these standard HD Touring fitment bars? Can you post a photo of the riser clamp area to show how the spacing fits on RSV clamps?

If that is true I can finally get the "straight grip" feel I'm looking for, where my knuckles are facing straight forward on the bike vs turned slightly outward.

I've been looking to go to a different bars on my Venture but all the chatter says that HD "fit" bars will not clamp properly due to the different spacing on the risers; the knurled parts will not line up properly. Are these standard HD Touring fitment bars? Can you post a photo of the riser clamp area to show how the spacing fits on RSV clamps?

If that is true I can finally get the "straight grip" feel I'm looking for, where my knuckles are facing straight forward on the bike vs turned slightly outward.

You are right the knurls on HD bars aren't as wide as the metric bars. But you can add more if you like. Majority of the knurls are under the riser clamps. I have tighten them to spec and they do not move. I have shaken them, turned the bars lock to lock, and no movement. Now I am sure if you slam into something or get hit holding on tight they would move just like any other bars. Here is a picture for you. MRSV Ape Knurls.jpg

I think that they look really great. Not too tall at all. How many inches are the grips above the lowest part of the seat?

I'm gonna measure my RSTD and see where mine are.

I'll be interested to see how you like them.

These are the measurements I just took.

21" from lowest point in drivers seat to line straight across grips

12" from middle of tank (where my tank bib bag hooks) to line straight across grips

38" wide from end weight to end weight

36" wide without end weights

15" from radio door to to line straight across grips

I am really looking forward to this new riding stance.

I LOVE the folding my bars back and in on my 1st Gens so I can lay back and relax.. I also have spent many many hours touring on Choppers and have always loved the laid back "feel" that tall bars add (leaned back, relaxing against a passenger or gear).. I have also ridden some fair distances in "Ape Hanger Mode" and I like that too - its pretty comfortable..

Bottom line Kid,, I like what I see and if I ever were to end up with a 2nd Gen - you and I will chat!!:happy34:

I am loving it as well. I sold my Venture back in July and am now getting ready to purchase an RSTD. I knew I would change out the RSTD bars because for some reason they feel to short and uncomfortable for me (I am 6'4"). Now that I have seen your pics, I know that I want taller bars on the RSTD. I could probably go with the same 12" or maybe even 10" with no risers. Looks good.

I'm planning on putting flanders bars on this winter/spring, but now I'm going to check out these bars. I measured my RSTD and it seems yours are about 11" taller, and sitting on the seat seem a little tall for me. I'm going to look at 10" rise bars. My very first bike I put 10" pullbacks on, and it was great as I recall. We'll see where that goes. But I think I'd like it.

Glad you brought this up.

I have been riding this weekend and I really like them. They are sturdy and control great. The hand are right below my shoulders and helps me relax my elbows. I believe they will put a bigger smile on my face and many more miles looking to break 100k next year. Everyone ride safe.

• 1 year later...

Well, here I am resurrecting an old thread. A year ago I bought the flanders #650-08783 bars for my 05 RSTD and have put a good 10K with them and the pullback is great, but I was again thinking about those Paul Yaffe mini apes, so I looked at the Kids dimensions on the ones that he put on.

I have played with the height of the bar ends in the past and today raised them again.

So now, my seat height is 25" and the bar grips are at 44".

The grip ends are at 36" and the middle of the grips are at 32"

The big difference is the grip position, more straight out on the mini apes than mine.

I just went out for a ride and I like it.

Still like the mini apes though.