IGNORED

internet in your saddlebag?

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Wondering what members are using as far as laptops, portable PC's, whatever, when you take it on the road, on the bike, that is.

I've owned 2 laptops previously, and I paid way too much for those short-lived products...

Seems like carrying them on the bike is kinda rough on em. It IS nice to be able to hook up to a wifi hotspot and check your email while on the road....maybe check weather, news, and of course, VentureRiders.org!

I found this little pc, called an Eee PC, made by ASUS. Its got a small flash drive instead of a regular harddrive, so its less susceptible to shocks. Its small and pretty cheap.....

I wonder if anyone has tales of scooter computers, and what has worked well for them.

I tried a Palm last year, wireless was weak unless U sat on the router,

screen too small to buy those chrome pieces on Ebay while your on the road.

For Communication with home, I have a phoneplan for all north america, I send

a text message to wifes phone with # at hotel & she calls me & we can talk till

the cows come home.

Gambler:banana:

Well , I tote my laptop every day on the bike, in the rear trunk. Haven't had any trouble caused by shock or vibration.. Since the hard drive isn't spinning, shouldn't be a problem.. The new phones with Internet are handy for quick check of email, or browsing . I currently have the T-mobile Dash, which is a decent smart phone and runs Windows Mobile. They have an unlimited Internet package for $20 bucks.. and the phone also has WiFi and Bluetooth . But , not trying to 'sell' that model, just an example of an option.

I have a Dell XPS 1330 that I tote on mine, and I have never had a problem at all with it. I use a laptop backpack and just throw it in the trunk or Saddlebag. I would recommend some sorta padded case for it. When I am not using the laptop, I use my Samsung Blackjack PDA/Phone - takes pics, surfs internet, gets my email - etc. I am in the process of having this tied into my audio system.

Stuart.

I carry a Dell D520 or D630 laptop and just place it in one of the padded sleeves. Works fine in the trunk or if I have the Unigo with me it goes in there. Never had a problem. I'll probabaly supplement that with an I-phone once they come out with the 3G model.

DT

I carry my Gateway laptop now and then without any problems within it's padded case in the trunk . I also carry it in the BEERCART wedged between other items .

I am not waisting any $$ on other gadgets for now . I've already lost a cuvy of Homing Pigeons . Not only did they crap in my trunk , but they tend to sufficate when the trunk lid is closed on warm/hot days ! :confused24:

BEER30

I carry my Dell Inspiron with me on the bike when I travel on it. Have never had a problem with it. My case came with a padded sleeve and I take the sleeve out and put the computer in it when I travel on the bike.

My cell phone does have the capability of Internet and email but I don't subscribe to that service. I just have no desire to try and use it on that small screen.

Yeah I too carry a laptop on the longer trips. Had my old Compaq Evo n800c on the 5,000 mile trip last summer with no problems. I rode in the trunk the whole time.

Jerry

when we were kids we used to sneek a few friends into the Drive INN in the TRUNK but would never had thought of trying to do a 5 mile trip let alone a 5000 mile trip in one:thumbsup2:

We have a Sony laptop that we carry in the trunk on any overnight trips. It's in a padded case and strapped in secure so it doesn't bounce around in the trunk. I'm on call 24x7 and have to have access to work where ever we may be and NEWTrk just couldn't survive without his daily online newspaper fix.

I am glad to see some of you take a laptop with you without any problems. I just purchased a Dell latitude D830 and a docking station so that I can use it as my workstation on our office network and then take it with me when I go out and call on motorcycle dealers. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I currently have a Optiplex mini tower I use as a work station and the dell sales rep said the D830 would run just as fast on our network. I purchased an accident insurance plan that is $170.00 for three years in case I damage the laptop. It is supposed to be delivered today so I guess I will find out if it works as good as I need it to.

No matter what you do buy a seperate back up drive and do it regularly.

Very good idea, you never know.

The laptop I take along really has nothing on it I care about so I'm safe I guess.

Now if I would just learn to back up the computers at home.........

Jerry

My laptop is fairly large, 17in screen, so I don't carry it at all. I have debated on buying a PSP and using that but not sure I can justify the price for something I will only use on the road, I have little interest in the games.. and would probably not buy movies for it either.. If I could burn the movies I already own to a PSP format it might be different.

I bought Jeff his Acer Aspire about two years ago. He carries it on the bike a lot and no problems. I bought him a laptop backpack that had a separate padded zipper removable pouch which he keeps in the trunk. Oh and it's a 17" screen too.

Comes in handy on any long trips that I take pics on. I can download my pics there and take more.

Margaret

I especially like taking mine along when riding with a group. I will often take it to dinner and we bring the chips from our cameras and check out what kind of day we have had. It aways brings a lot of laughs and oohs and aahs to the table. We usually have people from the tables around us joining in also.

Bob

I received my laptop from dell and I have to send it back. I wanted the new clear screen. I think they call it the ultra bright. It is $150.00 more but if I am going to spend the amount I spent for the laptop I want the best screen. I would have thought the sales rep would have explained the difference in screens and asked me if I wanted the ultra bright.

Here's another idea: just use your smartphone. I have a BlackBerry 8830 with which I can browse the internet. In fact, I'm doing that very thing right now. No laptop needed. My BlackBerry is always with me. Takes almost no space. Half the time I'm on this site, I'm using my phone, not the desktop or my wife's laptop puter at home. Just a thought.

Guest Vermincelli

I have an ATT 8525 phone that locks into a mount that's screwed to the center tank cover that I can see at a glance. For longer trips I toss a 13" Apple Ibook into the tank bag that I can whip out when I stop if I want to. Part of my reno to phx trip last year I hooked the webcam to the fairing and ran the cable to the laptop in the bag and had it take a snapshot every couple minutes just for kicks.

I am going to use it to record video after I get a much bigger harddrive for it.