IGNORED

I need a name and number

Freebird

About a month ago, the check engine light came on on my 2007 Avalanche. I figured it was the gas cap but finally took the time to check it out last weekend. Stopped by the local auto parts store and borrowed their code reader. The code was not the gas cap but the evaporative fuel canister solenoid. Now there are two of these solenoids on the Avalanche, one near the manifold under the hood and the other under the bed above the spare tire. A quick search at the Avalanche forum indicated that the one under the bed is almost always the culprit. So I ordered one.

Was out of town all week and the part was awaiting when I got home yesterday. I figured it couldn't possibly take long to change it out so I got right on it.

The job is done and it did indeed correct the check engine light issue but at this point, I just need the name and telephone number of the GM engineer who designed the spare tire secondary latch system. He must DIE! Apparently it has been a long time since the spare tire was lowered and the secondary latch system was stuck. This has to be one of the most stupid and ill conceived designs I have ever seen on a vehicle. It took me over an hour to finally get the spare tire down on this truck. Following the instructions in the manual to deal with it not releasing did nothing at all. From other posts that I read at the Avalanche forum, it seldom works. It just took a lot of penetrating oil, a long metal bar, a big hammer, a pair of Channelok pliers and a lot of choice words to finally get it to release. What should have been a 30 to 45 minute job ended up taking almost 3 hours.

So....if anybody has that geniuses telephone number, please post it right here so I can find him. What an idiot.

I had a 2006 GMC Sierra. Same problem. Took me forever in the rain to fix a flat as the cord that pulls up the spare tire wasn't attached to the mechanism that lowered it down. After 2 hours of pulling pushing and prying it came loose. Truck was 3 months old and purchased new. Guess what? Spare was flat as well. I wrote them a letter. My response was bring it in and we will make it right. They offered to grease the tire release and put a new valve stem in the spare. It took them about 2-4 hours and they called me back. There response "we have parts on the way to replace the tire carrier" lol!

Worked at a repair shop for several years, When called to fix a flat on side of road we'd always take the flatbed tow truck as most always had to haul them in and torch the cable off.

Another brain fart where the caravans with the stow and go system, usually couldn't jack the vehicle up high enough to get it out from underneath even on the odd chance it did lower.

Worked at a repair shop for several years, When called to fix a flat on side of road we'd always take the flatbed tow truck as most always had to haul them in and torch the cable off.

Another brain fart where the caravans with the stow and go system, usually couldn't jack the vehicle up high enough to get it out from underneath even on the odd chance it did lower.

Torch it off?

I got a brand new GM spare at the entrance to my park a couple of years ago

To my surprise, there was rectangular piece in the center of the hole with a little rusted off cable.

I had the wheel in front of my office for two weeks but no one ever picked it up .

They probably don't know its even missing...

On the bright side ... I immediately tested and lubricated mine on the 2000 4x4.

Same on my '03 Sierra. Thank goodness I have a hoist in the shop. Same as you Don, lots of oil, pry bars and choice words before it came down. Now I bring it down once a year and re-oil everything. Real bad design for the salt belt which is about the top 2/3s of the continent.

I have a 2002 F150Supercab 4x4. The spare tire is lowered by inserting the jack handle in a tube and cranking it down. Easy enough. But, on my model and many others the stress on the cable causes it to break eventually. My spare tire fell off my truck and I never knew it. I hope nobody was close behind when it happened because it could have caused a wreck. On later models, there is a spring on the end of the cable that reduces the cable stress. The NHTSA tried to get Ford to recall these trucks and install the new cable system. But NO, Ford was too cheap. The replacement cable mechanism has the spring that supposedly fixed the system. It cost me about $100 for the new cable mechanism, $50 for a used OE replacement rim and $20 for a used tire. Thanks Ford!

Sorry for all your headaches Don, what a bummer when it SHOULD take X long and for dumb reasons it's 3X longer...

After some serious online reasearching, I came across a name and number. It may not be exactly who you want but perhaps they can lead you in the right direction. Ask for. Jane. 867-5309.

Let us know how that goes... :fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

PS, I know you know its all in fun,so please don't go all hardcore HD on me now....:rotf:

Edited by Freebird

As a college instructor teaching auto mechanics I coined the term 'SDE'. SDE stands for Society of Drunken Engineers. Because sober people would not design things this way. It is usually used in reference to automotive engineers or highway Dept. of Transportation engineers. But occasionally it fits elsewhere..

Mike

(quote) solenoid......the one under the bed is almost always the culprit.

YEP, it sure is Don..

This is one of those "well known" problems on the Avalanche. My 05 had the same problem..

I found it amazing what a small piece of black electrical tape placed over that warning light does. I mean, hey, mine never came on again ...that I know of............:stickpoke:

I agree with you about the electrical tape Eck. The problem here is that Ohio has E-Check and you can't pass if the light is on. Covering it won't get you by because they plug in and read the codes. :(

Down here they don't have that E-Check, so that is why I used the tape.

The truck ran like a champ even with the light on, so I did not change out the canister.

The light was annoying though.

When I was looking at replacing the canister, they were only about $20 bucks.

I decided to sell the truck because I really didn't need two avalanches since I was retiring.

I told the guy about the tape and he said heck, I will leave it there.