IGNORED

Heal Toe Shifter

Guest mmmouse

Guest mmmouse

Anybody use the heal portion of the heal toe shifter? I tried playing with it but it feels to awkward shifting with my heal. Thinking of getting rid of it. Gets in the way.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tossed mine when my levi's hungup on the heal part of the shifter. The only time I dropped the bike. The bike layed over on my leg and I couldn't pull my leg out. I even tried to pull my pants off, but no go.

Guest mmmouse
I tossed mine when my levi's hungup on the heal part of the shifter. The only time I dropped the bike. The bike layed over on my leg and I couldn't pull my leg out. I even tried to pull my pants off, but no go.

:rotf::rotf::rotf:Bet that was a sight:rotf::rotf::rotf:

It felt odd to me at first also but once you get use to it it's second nature.

Same here... I use mine all the time now and it sure saves the wear and tear on the top of the left shoe / boot.:thumbsup2:

I have a heel toe shifter and like it. Problems relate to big feet and floorboard. I have no place to comfortably put my foot with it. I am picking up another venture with toe shifter and foot peg. I will play with the combinations and see what I come up with.

This is the first bike I've had with a heel shifter. Before this I'd never heard of it. I had a hard time getting used to it. Then when I thought I was finally used to it and not thinking about it anymore, one day I noticed that I was using my toe again and not using my heel. After that I cut it off. That gave me a lot more room to move my foot around when on a long ride. Don't need it, don't want it. It's just in my way. Never had a toe shifter scuff up the top of my boot. I don't understand that comment at all.

First time I ever used a heel toe shifter was my first test ride on a RSV. It came second nature to me. I am so used to it I don't even lift my foot up much just catch the shifter with the back (not the bottom) of the heel and push it down. Slips right into gear. When I ride my wifes bike with a toe shifter I have to think about shifting, not so with the RSV. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Of course, my 1st Gen doesn't have a heel-toe shifter, but my V-Star does and I always use it when riding that scoot. In the sit-back/foot-forward position you attain on a cruiser-style bike I personally find it preferable. On the other hand, on a sit-up/feet-below bike like the 1st Gen or a Wing, it's not really practical. So, as always, to each his own...

It all boils down to what you like and/or what you are used to, as well as whatever safety considerations might come into play regarding your style of riding and the clothes you wear!

Comfort and Control are King!

Terry

I don't really use it at all and have had it catch my pants leg on more than one occassion. Luckily the bike has never gone down but it was close once. I want to cut off the back part just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Have the shifter and floorboards on the one I'm working on now. So far they will probally come off. Don't feel right got to spread legs too far when you are sitting.

Was wondering about you, Skid and Frogman thought maybe you guys hit the powerball and were out shopping:rotf: Craig

Anybody use the heal portion of the heal toe shifter? I tried playing with it but it feels to awkward shifting with my heal. Thinking of getting rid of it. Gets in the way.

I feel the same way, but the jury is still out on it. I'll give it an honest try at getting used to it, and then maybe I cut the heel part off, or go back to the pegs...

I Cut the rear arm off mine , about an inch behind the pivot. I hated it. There wasnt enuff room for me to rest my foot on the board with the heel toe. But I also wear a size 13 EE boot. I guess them people that build them bikes never factored that in LOL :confused24::whistling:

I never had one before this bike, and I am trying to use it and get use to it. My biggest problem so far is pulling out from a lite in first, and as I put my foot up on the board, I bump the shifter and knock it into neutral, not a good thing! But I will give it a couple more rides before I decide to eliminate it or not. Craig

I Cut the rear arm off mine , about an inch behind the pivot. I hated it. There wasnt enuff room for me to rest my foot on the board with the heel toe. But I also wear a size 13 EE boot. I guess them people that build them bikes never factored that in LOL :confused24::whistling:

That's my problem too. There isn't enough room between the heel and toe for a size 10 to fit let alone a clodhopper.... And my clodhopper's bigger than your clodhopper.... :) Surgery on the back pedal my be the only way. Either that or go back to the original and sell the boards and shifter on Ebay. It's just that it looks cool....