IGNORED

LED Passing Lights

I sold my Vulcan and I purchased a 2006 Midnight Venture. I LOVE my Midnight Venture. The only thing that I miss from my Vulcan is the Passing Lights bar.

I stopped by my Yamaha dealer. They want $300 for the lights and mounting bar. However, the lights burn a lot of electricity. I want to use LED lights instead, but I want the OEM look. I found an LED Passing Lights that are supposed to work on the RSV, but I want to talk with the experts first!

Has anyone installed LED Passing Lights? What are the best ones that do not interfere with the wind deflectors? Thanks!

By the way, here is the link for the ebay version. Unfortunately, it looks like it will interfere with the wind deflectors: [ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/151354990091?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT]http://www.ebay.com/itm/151354990091?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/ame]

Thank you for your advice!

That will require some mounting modifications. The mounting bracket for the OEM light bar has a right angle (vertical final mount). The OEM also has a route inside the light bar for the wires. The eBay one appears the wires will run outside the bar.

Price is right though.

RR

Whats their idea of "slight modification"??? I can tell you the back of it will have to be bent almost a 90 deg up to bolt to the triple tree. Now could a fellow maybe build a bolt on tab to do the trick? I dunno. Depends on how long the flat back bracket of the light bar is, will it interfere with anything. Will it simply have to be cut off? Can it be bent upwards to accomplish mounting? Unfortunately the answers you will get will be vague at best.

I need the whole setup. I was hoping that someone who has installed LED passing lights could tell me how to do it. However, it looks like I will get to share my experience to help others!

I really want the OEM look with LED benefits. So, at this point, I plan to purchase an OEM Passing Lights system and installation bracket -- the whole deal. Then, I plan to purchase LED bulbs to replace the halogen ones.

If someone can tell me a better (and hopefully less expensive) way to do it, I would certainly appreciate it. Otherwise, I will post my experience and the costs associated.

No unfortunately there is not a whole lot of options as to the 4.5" passing lights. I think the Yamaha one and maybe roadkrome or somebody made one. but thats about it. So they are pricey at best. then the LED bulbs some are running from the Norther Tool are OK but not near the bulb of the $200+ truck lite jobs either. but do you really want to spend like $500 on the passing lights? Look around here, you may run across an option somebody has done you can live with. I like the bigger lights also. but there are some of the smaller like 2-3" jobs that you can get mounted up off the turn signals I think that are not bag looking.

On my VStar 950T - These are little 2inch halogens from WalMart. $20. Had to put tiny screws in the bezel as they simply snap on/off...and didn't want the lens to vibrate out...Actually work very well...I use them 24/7 and they light up the sides of the road nicely. They came with 50 watt bulbs, but I put in 20 watt which is what you see here...the 950T doesn't have the charging system of the VR. They aren't LED...but they work! It wouldn't surprise me if I'll be able to get LED bulbs for these little lights soon...

I'm thinking of using similar units on VR under the cowling...maybe next to the side vents....

Edited by videoarizona
add

I purchased and install the LED from E-Bay that was on another article here. THey 're brighter than the originals, and you can see around during the night more clear than with the originals. I believe that the cost was around 129$ the pair, but it took 2 weeks before they show up since they 're comming from China.

Has anyone tried these new Star branded lights yet. They say they can be retrofited to existing buckets. They are pricey:mo money:

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/led-chrome-passing-lamps?b=Star+Motorcycle&d=12

:canada:

Yep, as always, the product is not available. This goes back to when they introduced the LED tail spoiler for the Venture. I ordered one and was given the run around for seven months by the dealer. It finally came out twelve months later than when I ordered it. I had already cancelled my order.

:farmer:

Birdman... I did just what you described only difference is that I already had the stock Yamaha bar and buckets on my bike. I bought the Truck Lite LED passing lamps and fitted them into the somewhat larger Yamaha buckets by trimming the stock bucket bolts down 1/2 inch and using a thin piece of aluminum to make rings that fit tightly around the edge of the Truck Lite lamps and also being just wide enough to fit under the rim of the buckets that holds the stock lamps in th bucket. The aluminum ring shines up nice holds the lamps rock solid and looks like it comes that way stock. Was an easy fix. Get back home from out of town job and I could post some pics. Not even a hint of being a custom job...;)

Larry

Here is a couple of pics of the Truck Lites LED's in the Yamaha OEM buckets. If you look closely you can see the aluminum ring that holds the lamp firmly into the bucket. Made the rings of flat, thin aluminum sheets...can't remember how thick it was probably around 40 to 50 thousandths. The width of the ring is probably about 5/16 inch. ID fits tightly around the lamp where the bezel would go and the OD is wide enough to catch the bezel of the OEM bucket. Solid... does not move. Forgive the bugs on the lamp and rings... It is necessary to grind down the 3/4-1 inch nuts inside the bucket that hold the buckets to the bar. I took them down to about 1/2 inch and this allowed plenty of room to put the Truck Lite lamps into the Yamaha buckets.

Larry....:cool:

Thank you for the pics! It looks nice. I'm going to install the OEM Passing Lamps. Then, I will pick up the LED bulbs and install them like you did.

Just wish there was a less expensive way to do it and get the same effect. Oh well, you can't put a price on safety... at least that is what I will tell my wife when I come home with great looking passing lights on my bike! :cool10:

Bird,

The best deal I found on the Truck Lites is at Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AHH7FM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Kuryakyn Phase 7 4-1/2" LED Passing Lamps 2005+ Harley 2247: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51g-2rsxuML.@@AMEPARAM@@51g-2rsxuML[/ame]

They are Truck Lites but they are rebadged and sold by Kuryakyn as: Kuryakyn Phase 7 4-1/2" LED Passing Lamps 2005+ Harley 2247.

Theses are the ones I used.

Larry....:cool:

So has anyone have experience with these type CREE LED bulbs[. They go in a standard type housing for an H3 bulb. I have ajure housings that originally came with 35w halogens. I swapped them for some LED jobs but they are not like these. The ones I have currently make very little usable light at night. the ones I have linked the seller tells me are 1000 lum

Edited by djh3

Your link does not work.

The LED bulbs are rated at 1000 Lumen. A Sylvania H3 Halogen bulb is rated at 1520 lumen. Your reflector is designed to work with a halogen. The LED creates light over a much bigger area that will not be properly focused in you housing and the LED has only 2/3 the light output. Many people are fooled by the bluer color into thinking they can see better.

All of the H3 LEDs that I have been able to find have had a disclaimer in the fine print that the H3 LEDs are for show only, and will not illuminate a dark road.

Now on the other hand, there are LEDs that are plenty bright to use for road illumination. When these are put into a reflector and lens that are specifically designed for that LED, they are great.

You also have to watch the power ratings of some of the really bright LEDs, I have seen some LEDs that will draw more power than the halogen they are replacing.

According to the ad, there are ten 7 watt LEDs per bulb. That means that each Bulb will pull 70 Watts! That is a LOT more than the halogens that are in there now. Most likely the halogens are either 35 or 50 watt each.

Between the high power draw and the likely beam focus issues, I would find something else.

djh3,

I am not sure what size adjure housings you have 3" or 4.5" so I am unsure what might work well for you. However, before I upgraded any of my lighting I did check out the type of bulb that you are referring to in your link and I agree with Jeff. Most of the folks that I found that did try these types of bulbs were pretty unhappy with the results. I do believe there are much better options out there for you.

Larry.....:cool: