IGNORED

Lesson finally sinks in.

Yammer Dan

Short and sweet or maybe not so sweet.... or short!! Shoddy electrical connections will cause you problems!!! I had a bad ground connection in a plug connection and just ran a jumper around it to check it out. Jumper didn't have a good connection and it fried it quickly. Burnt the insulation off my jumper wire quick. Not being a electrical genius it caused me to scratch my head for a while thinking I had more problems than I did. Just a bad plug and after thinking all I've read on here I went back and put a jumper in and made sure connections were good. All is good to go. It was on my Pontiac and repair shop had not plugged it back togather good causing bad connection that burnt connector up. Simple if I had fixed it right when I found it. Good solid connections do wonders!! Thanks again to those on here that post reading material!!! Read enough some of it has to stick!!!THANKS!!!

Good on ya bro for finding that critter!!

You really got off pretty good ya know,, I remember very vividly one time I was working on the same kind of situation only my wild ground found its path thru the wedding band on my finger.. The current flow thru the gold turned that band into a ring of fire.. Smelled just like chicken cookin.. I have a permanent scar wedding band under my wedding band now,, pretty cool scar but it took a long long time to heal... Matter of fact,, the part where it went to the bone took over a year to grow back... I got lucky too though,, when it burnt it left a swath about a 1/4 inch wide on the pinky side of the finger for blood to flow thru,, otherwise I would be one less finger and wearing my wedding band on my bird finger... Not a very nice thing to think about really,,,,, or even to say for that matter.....:stirthepot:

I remember very vividly one time I was working on the same kind of situation only my wild ground found its path thru the wedding band on my finger.. The current flow thru the gold turned that band into a ring of fire

I have not worn a wedding ring or a ring of any kind since I went into the USAF. We were required to not have any rings of any kind on while around the flightline. Working around electrical stuff, I saw first hand what a ring can do. I also saw what a ring can do when a guy walks up to an F-4 Phantom and climbs up a short ladder to drop the flight log into the seat and then drop to the ground. Unfortunately, his ring got caught on a screw or something and from his big knuckle to where the ring was, there was only a bloody tube. Nope, no rings for me.

RandyA

Yup me to Randy. Exactly the same reasoning I have stayed away from rings and mechanical work. I was a aircraft maint troop also on big birds C-141's. Saw the safety films where a guy lost a finger. then I was assigned a Sgt to train with. I forgot my ring one day and he showed me his hand, yup missing the ring finger. He told me some story but it got in my head. 2 or so years later I found out heck he was missing it as a kid, got caught in a hay bailer or combine or something. but it still put the picture in my head. I'm not even sure I could find my ring now.

Haven't worn a ring in years. Crushed one around my finger and it was NOT fun getting it off, then shorted one between the positive side of the car battery and a ground while holding the wrench. That ring got super heated real quick! Second degree burn 3/8" wide, all the way around my finger, the doctors cut that one off :crying:

Only time I wear a ring now is when I have on a suit & tie which don't happen often.

Only time I wear a ring now is when I have on a suit & tie which don't happen often.

Whats a suit and tie???

I never had a ring horror story, But then I was religious about not where the ring around mechanical or electrical stuff. I was one of the lucky ones, I figured it out without bad things happening to me or someone else. I do wear a watch, but with a cheap easy to break plastic band, I have had to replace the band at least a half dozen times now.......:whistling:

I have not worn a wedding ring or a ring of any kind since I went into the USAF. We were required to not have any rings of any kind on while around the flightline. Working around electrical stuff, I saw first hand what a ring can do. I also saw what a ring can do when a guy walks up to an F-4 Phantom and climbs up a short ladder to drop the flight log into the seat and then drop to the ground. Unfortunately, his ring got caught on a screw or something and from his big knuckle to where the ring was, there was only a bloody tube. Nope, no rings for me.

RandyA

I have not worn a ring for quiet a few years. I got my wedding band caught between a set of jumper cables while starting a car. Lit that ring up like an LED bulb and it was red when I give it a pull to get it off. I will never put one on again.

Boy did I screw this thread up for ya or what Dan O'??:stirthepot:

All ya did was post the great outcome you had in fixin your car and now its twisted up so bad that a bunch of our buddies are gonna be sleeping in the dog house cause their wives are gonna read that they dont wear their wedding rings no moe:rotf::rotf::whistling::rotf:

RandyA

Hey Randy, man did that bring back some memories!I was a crew chief on F-4s C and D models in Kunsun Korea. That was one tough plane and could put a hurting on anything in it's sight. That battery could fry a ring on you finger real quick, good old Martin Baker seats and that bone chilling word FOD. Thanks for the memories, Jim

I came close to degloving my ring finger in high school with my class ring. Same kind of deal. Out playing around out in the woods dropping off a trestle piling onto some loose brush. Brush gave and my ring momentarily hung up on the steel trestle. I got lucky and it only cut into the Palm side of finger. I wrote my wedding ring for a lot of years, got complacent then worried I was going to forget to take it off working out in the garage. Do out sits on a shelf in my medicine cabinet. Once in a while if we ever go out for something dress up I will put it on. But it's not worth the risk here. I work with enough stuff that could take the finger in a blink as hobbies I need all my digits.

Saw all those graphic pics when I was in the Army. I wasn't married then but those images got burned into my memory. I did wear the ring for a few years, but I always took it off while working and put in my pocket. One day it wasn't in my pocket. Oops. Wife used it as an excuse to get new matching wedding bands. Finally just left it on the desk at home & the wife put it in her jewelry box. Oh, nowadays I sit in an office behind a computer with the only bodily threat is a papercut, so I could wear the ring but I'm so uses to not anymore. Plus she doesn't comment so I'm scot-free on the band.

-Andrew (can still count to 10 w/o using my toes)