IGNORED

Time to replace Handgrips

The Handgrips on my 07 Venture are starting to crack and leave the palms of my hands dirty.

So, it is time to replace them. I have been happy with the stock grips and thought about simply buying OEM replacements. But, I figured that perhaps you folks have found some that are better. What have you used?

Also, are they a 'piece of cake' to replace?

craigr

I've replaced my grips on several of my bikes with Avon air grips. They never get slippery no matter if you are not wearing gloves, wet, etc, etc.

They change out easy and it does not seem to matter if the bar end weights are not there, I cannot feel any more vibrations.

I put Grip Puppies on my 07 right after I got it, they cover the stock grips and give a more comfortable grip, They are inexpenisve and if they start to to go bad, tearing or chalking on my hands, just peel them off and replace them.

I always bough mine from California Sport Touring, but they are out of buisness, here is a link to Amazon that lists various types of Grip Puppies and similar items.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grip+puppies+motorcycle&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=13952733741&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7068880474935219477&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1zgyt9fd96_b

While checking out the Amazon link above, I suddenly realized that some replacement grips won't work with my 'Cramp Buster' Throttle Cruise Assist.

So, I may end up having to stick with the OEM Grips. :(

Unless that is, if I can find aftermarket replacements of the same size or.......

craigr

Craig,

I have the Cramp Buster too....but figured I would cut the Grip Puppy shorter on that side to make room for Buster.

The California group that used to sell them I think is still there, just not the web site. I emailed them last week and got back an email that said I could still order Grip Puppies (the originals) from them by phone....haven't done it yet so don't know what the situation is over there...

It seems you could only buy them there or in the UK. The ones on ebay don't seem to be the originals....so not sure I would trust them. Originals should run around $25/set, if memory serves?? They didn't tear up or break down like a simple foam grip would...

The Kuryakin ISO grips seems to have excellent reviews. They would be my recommendation if I replaced my grips...

There also is a ton of info on various cycle store sites about how to take off grips.

Getting the old glue to separate seems simple enough using the right tools (Thin screwdriver, WD40, etc.,) and the only hard part would be taking apart the throttle assembly so you can slip the grip off, then put the new on.

FWIW

david

Edited by videoarizona
Added info

Craig I had Avon's on the trike with a throttle rocker. You can buy the with or without the throttle rocker. I loved them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=avon+grips&_from=R40&_osacat=10063&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xavon+grips+-+Yamaha&_nkw=avon+grips+-+Yamaha&_sacat=10063

If you decide to stick with stock grips I still have the set I took off the 09. Less than 10k on them. Yours for the asking.

Larry

I had a set of ISO grips on my last bike with the optional throttle boss (works like a cramp buster) and I loved them. I have wanted to put a set on my venture ever since I bought it but haven't gotten around to it yet. The ISO grips are a little pricy but in my opinion they are worth every penny.

They are larger in diameter than stock, but that is one of the things I like about them.

I had a set of ISO grips on my last bike with the optional throttle boss (works like a cramp buster) and I loved them. I have wanted to put a set on my venture ever since I bought it but haven't gotten around to it yet. The ISO grips are a little pricy but in my opinion they are worth every penny.

They are larger in diameter than stock, but that is one of the things I like about them.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::canada:

I know the Kury ISO grips have been mentioned, I have to say that I am not a big fan of them. They have some cool adds (the throttle boss) but I have had 1 set completely break in half and the ones on my '02 I have are pitted on the chrome due to more than likely the salt in hand sweat.

I like the larger diameter as my hands dont cramp near as bad. The ones I really liked were the Yamaha aftermarket leather wrapped set. I dont believe they make them anymore, but if I can find a pair, I'll go back to them....:2cents:

I'm not a fan of the Iso Grips either. Rick Butler bought a set and said that they made his fingers numb. I got them from him and installed them on my '99. I even adapted the bar end weights to work with them just in case there was some added vibration. Even with the bar weights, my fingers got number with them also. Not a fan at all.

I haven't noticed any unusual discomfort with them.

Dan, unless you have changed them, you don't have the Iso Grips. I replaced them long ago. What you have is Yamaha grips that were offered for the Road Star until Yamaha started discontinuing stuff. They are cut down to fit the RSV. I loved those grips. Very comfortable for me.