IGNORED

GPS

papatop49

What is the most compatible GPS to use with the RSV? I want one that I can hear over my sound system and be able to download routes from my computer.

I already have some info but would like input from members on this site.

Thanks

+1 Garmin Zumo.

I use a Garmin 660 since I had no use for the satellite weather and some other options the pricier model offered. What I like is I loaded my MP3 music to the GPS and it integrated nicely into my Venture AUX.

The ZUMO's are very weather proof and are fairly easy to read in all light. No need for gadget condoms or sun shields to make it usable.

I like my Garmin 765T. It IS NOT a motorcycle specific GPS.. But it works very well. It may be hard to find one as they have been discontinued for some time. You can have MP3 files on it to play, you can upload your own routes you make on either basecamp (I never figured that out) or I use TYRE a free program thats easy to use. It will plug into the RSV audio system but you can only hear it when operating in the AUX mode. So if you used it as an MP3 player and GPS it will give directions as you go and you can hear them. I use my phone for pandora and the GPS and its audible also as both run over the "aux" mode. It also has bluetooth capability so with a special cable you should be able to use your phone via the GPS and headset of the bike.

Programmable GPS with an aux output are getting very difficult to find. A RAM mount is about the best solution to your GPS and phone needs. I have tried the knock off plastic jobs from e-bay and while they work for awhile eventually they get loose or snap off.

And the Zumo also stores tunes. Lots of tunes if you add more memory! Verbal turn directions interrupt the music when necessary. I chose the nice, polite sounding female voice that says, "Excuse me, sir. I must ask you to turn left in one half mile. Many apologies, sir, it won't happen again."

zag

Eck, love it. I usually memorize the main road numbers that I have to take. So is that just dry erase markers or what?

-Andrew

Yep...dry erase marker.... I used to write major roads where I was to turn...

I do use a real GPS nowadays...:stickpoke:

I still use the dry erase marker for restaurants and POI that I want to stop at along the way

I like my Garmin 765T. It IS NOT a motorcycle specific GPS.. But it works very well. It may be hard to find one as they have been discontinued for some time. You can have MP3 files on it to play, you can upload your own routes you make on either basecamp (I never figured that out) or I use TYRE a free program thats easy to use. It will plug into the RSV audio system but you can only hear it when operating in the AUX mode. So if you used it as an MP3 player and GPS it will give directions as you go and you can hear them. I use my phone for pandora and the GPS and its audible also as both run over the "aux" mode. It also has bluetooth capability so with a special cable you should be able to use your phone via the GPS and headset of the bike.

Programmable GPS with an aux output are getting very difficult to find. A RAM mount is about the best solution to your GPS and phone needs. I have tried the knock off plastic jobs from e-bay and while they work for awhile eventually they get loose or snap off.

+1 Garmin 765T

I bought a brand new unit with complete factory accessories and free Lifetime Maps for $80 off eBay.

One caveat: it is not waterproof, but a baggie works swell to keep it dry.

I upgraded it a little with a 'hardwired' power supply (though that meant I gave up the useless 'Traffic' function in the factory cigarette lighter power cord. You won't miss that. And the hardwired power supply frees up the cigarette lighter for other things.)

The audio out plugs into the Auxillary so one can hear 'Garmin Gertie' on the speakers or in your headset. Works awesomely!

Prairiehammer---- I have done the same. My traffic connector has broken one of the little release clippy things. So to get it off I have to use a small screwdriver to push the metal tang loose. I got one off e-bay like $6. It still plugs in to the cig style plug, but the stinking traffic thing wasn't real accurate anyways.

I didnt get the lifetime maps. But I have seen update maps for sale on my local craigslist for around $20, but I dont want to end up with a brick or just a blank SD card either.

• 6 months later...
+1 Garmin 765T

I bought a brand new unit with complete factory accessories and free Lifetime Maps for $80 off eBay.

One caveat: it is not waterproof, but a baggie works swell to keep it dry.

I upgraded it a little with a 'hardwired' power supply (though that meant I gave up the useless 'Traffic' function in the factory cigarette lighter power cord. You won't miss that. And the hardwired power supply frees up the cigarette lighter for other things.)

The audio out plugs into the Auxillary so one can hear 'Garmin Gertie' on the speakers or in your headset. Works awesomely!

I'm looking for a gps unit for my 87 VR. I want the directions to play through the speakers or headsets. So, what you have sounds like what I want. But, you say the audio out plugs into the auxiliary. What is the auxiliary?

I'm another Garmin 765 user. I made a "rain shield" for it from a $2.49 index card box. The auxiliary is the audio mini jack behind the cassette door. I don't use the traffic feature on the GPS since it is about as useless as airbrakes on a turtle. Those units designed for motorcycles are nice, but WAY!! over priced. Tom Tom has one that while still less expensive is also a bit too $$$.

Edited by alwrmcusn

I've used a 765t since 2010 across 3 different bikes now. I recently "upgraded" to the 1490t, I've lost the MP3 player & FM transmitter from the 765t but a much larger/brighter screen and lifetime maps. I debated updated the 765t but it would have been $80 for the lifetime map update vs $60 for the clearance 1490t.

I'm looking for a gps unit for my 87 VR. I want the directions to play through the speakers or headsets. So, what you have sounds like what I want. But, you say the audio out plugs into the auxiliary. What is the auxiliary?

Vito, the auxiliary I was talking about was the auxiliary audio jack on the RSV. The original post was asking about a GPS for the RSV, so I mentioned the auxiliary hookup.

On my 1990, I connected the 765T audio out to a cassette adapter. Worked well for me. On my 1991, I will be using a Venture Audio Link.

https://ventureaudiolink.wordpress.com/

Venture Audio Link1.jpgVenture Audio Link2.jpgVenture Audio Link3.jpg

I'm going to add my support for the zumo. I also have the 660 as I don't need satellite radio. The 665 has that.

Water/rain proof, vibration proof, bright enough to see even in sunlight, comes with both a motorcycle AND car cradle. smart enough to know which cradle it is in. like getting two units for the price of one.. You can set up avoidance's etc. for the motorcycle and different ones for the car. I use software on my PC to plan a route and upload it to the GPS. I can also share that route with whoever is riding with me if they have a Garmin that accepts routes. There is a new model Zumo 390LM that also adds winding roads as a choice in how to get to your destination.

All the zumos are glove friendly and come with the wiring to wire directly into the bike. Including the power and audio connection to the aux for the radio. If you get a buddyrich cable you can use your phone through the system as well.

You can add a micro SD card full of music and listen through the onboard system as well. It will dim the music to give you directions. You can also put photos on the card and view them on the screen.

Anyhow lots of reasons we like the zumos.. yes they are expensive.. That new one is just around $700

Vito, the auxiliary I was talking about was the auxiliary audio jack on the RSV. The original post was asking about a GPS for the RSV, so I mentioned the auxiliary hookup.

On my 1990, I connected the 765T audio out to a cassette adapter. Worked well for me. On my 1991, I will be using a Venture Audio Link.

https://ventureaudiolink.wordpress.com/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97223[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97224[/ATTACH]

Thanks. Didn't know this was available. I don't have anything that is wireless so I am still using the plug in intercom and music. It looks like this adapter only has one input which I could use for my MP3 but I still wouldn't be able to plug in a GPS also. What would happen if I used a splitter and plugged in the MP3 and GPS? Something bad or would the music play and the GPS directions play also? Has anyone tried that?

Thanks. Didn't know this was available. I don't have anything that is wireless so I am still using the plug in intercom and music. It looks like this adapter only has one input which I could use for my MP3 but I still wouldn't be able to plug in a GPS also. What would happen if I used a splitter and plugged in the MP3 and GPS? Something bad or would the music play and the GPS directions play also? Has anyone tried that?

The Garmin 765 has a SD card which I load with my MP3 files, there is thus no need for a separate MP3 player. I listen to the MP3 song and when there is a Garmin direction command, the directions command overrides the music.

The Garmin 765t (that is long since discontinued, but has a strong following) has that very few other GPS offer...FM Transmitter! You can set the GPS to send an FM signal, usually set very low on the dial, and tune your radio to receive the signal. This way I can have my MP3 player going and jump back into it when I can't find something I like on the radio.

10-4 on the 765 having FM transmitter. I forgot about that. On my 900 Vulcan at first thats how I would listen to the GPS. You tune radio to somewhere between like 80 and 95 on FM that is not being used in your area. then set the GPs to Xmit on that band. what I ran into traveling was you would occasionally run across stations on those bands going down the highway and you would have to retune the GPS and your bike radio.

Donvitto in answer to your question, could you just run a splitter and that adapter. Yes You can set the GPS up so it tells you more info or less as far as how often depending on if you get tied of listening to it tell you to "continue". I have a Sgt something or other voice on mine. He calls you all kinds of names and its kind of funny, for about an hour. So I'm back to the British gal voice.

That adapter unit if I read it right is like $60 bucks? Thats a bit steep aint it? I am not familiar with the 1st gens so much. Is there no Aux input on them? does your cassette deck still work? If so just use one of these cassette input adapters You could use a Y cable splitter and away you go for under $4.

10-4 on the 765 having FM transmitter. I forgot about that. On my 900 Vulcan at first thats how I would listen to the GPS. You tune radio to somewhere between like 80 and 95 on FM that is not being used in your area. then set the GPs to Xmit on that band. what I ran into traveling was you would occasionally run across stations on those bands going down the highway and you would have to retune the GPS and your bike radio.

Donvitto in answer to your question, could you just run a splitter and that adapter. Yes You can set the GPS up so it tells you more info or less as far as how often depending on if you get tied of listening to it tell you to "continue". I have a Sgt something or other voice on mine. He calls you all kinds of names and its kind of funny, for about an hour. So I'm back to the British gal voice.

That adapter unit if I read it right is like $60 bucks? Thats a bit steep aint it? I am not familiar with the 1st gens so much. Is there no Aux input on them? does your cassette deck still work? If so just use one of these cassette input adapters You could use a Y cable splitter and away you go for under $4.

So, the 765 has an FM transmitter, an audio output jack plus can play mp3 files? Sounds like I should look for one of them.

No aux input but I am currently using a Sony cassette converter which really works well. So, all I need is a GPS with an audio out jack. I already have the splitter.